2008 Sable and 2008 Taurus X

jasonj80

08TaurusX_tease.jpg

08MercurySable_tease.jpg

found the articles --

FORD TAURUS, TAURUS X, MERCURY SABLE RETURN AS UPGRADED 2008-MODELS DEBUT THIS SUMMER

CHICAGO, Feb. 7, 2007 – Ford Motor Company today announced it is bringing back the well-known Ford Taurus name, introducing a new name – Taurus X – for its three-row crossover and returning the Mercury Sable to the lineup as upgraded 2008-model versions of all three vehicles go on sale this summer.

“Taurus has been an icon for Ford’s family sedan for more than two decades, and it’s time to return this powerful name to where it belongs,” said Mark Fields, Ford’s President of The Americas, at the Chicago Auto Show. “Consumer awareness of the Taurus name is double the Five Hundred that it’s replacing, and awareness of Sable is triple that of Montego.

“By giving these vehicles the names that consumers recognize at the same time we’re making significant upgrades, we’re confident that even more people are going to be attracted to these great products in the future,” Fields added.

The 2008-model Taurus sedan will go on sale this summer, replacing the Ford Five Hundred. The new Taurus features a Ford Fusion-inspired exterior design, a new powertrain with 60 more horsepower, a new all-wheel-drive system, more standard safety features – including standard electronic stability control – and other refinements to make it more distinctive, quieter, faster and safer.

The 2008-model Taurus X crossover will go on sale late this summer – replacing the Ford Freestyle – with the same design, powertrain and safety upgrades, as well as three row of seats, one-touch flip-and-fold second-row seating and an available power rear liftgate.

The 2008-model Mercury Sable also goes on sale this summer – replacing the Mercury Montego – with extensive design, powertrain and safety upgrades, as well as unique touches that make it a Mercury. They include Mercury’s signature satin aluminum waterfall grille, jeweled projector beam headlamps, distinctive LED tail lamps and a two-tone interior trim with unique accents. Customers preferring a technical appearance can opt for Cyber Carbon – a deep, high-gloss accent resembling carbon fiber. More traditional sophistication is available from two modern wood grain accents – Guitar Maple and San Macassar.

Ford Taurus: An Automotive Icon

The Ford Taurus was a milestone in automotive design when it was introduced in 1985. It was the best-selling car in America for five straight years, starting in 1992. At its peak, Taurus posted annual sales of more than 400,000 units. When production of the original Taurus ended after 21 years on Oct. 27, 2006, nearly 7 million cars had been sold – and an estimated 3.5 million Taurus models remain on the road today

The Taurus name remains powerful today. In fact, it is one of top three most recognized Ford nameplates, behind only the F-Series and Mustang. Consumer awareness of the Taurus nameplate remains at an impressive 80 percent.

“The Ford Five Hundred has been a solid product, and it has one of the highest satisfaction rates in our lineup,” said Cisco Codina, Ford’s group vice president of North America Marketing, Sales and Service. “Once people discover the vehicle, nearly 60 percent end up buying a one.

“The Taurus will be even better thanks to significant upgrades – and, now, a name that people know. Going forward, we’re going to cherish this iconic name with the same clarity, confidence and intensity as we do with F-Series and Mustang,” Codina added.

The new Taurus X crossover builds on the strength of its namesake, while underscoring Ford’s commitment to leadership in crossover vehicles. Crossovers already have surpassed SUVs in annual vehicle sales, and Ford predicts they will become the largest or second largest segment in the U.S. by the end of the decade – with sales of 3 million units.

The three-row, seven-passenger Taurus X will complement the sporty and popular two-row, five-passenger Ford Edge in the lineup. The two crossovers will be joined by yet another large Ford crossover – based on the Ford Fairlane concept vehicle – which will debut later this year and go on sale in 2008.

“The Taurus and Taurus X draw design cues from the Fusion sedan and Edge crossover. This family relationship will be a huge asset. The Fusion is an unqualified success, and the Edge is off to an even faster start than we saw for the Fusion,” Codina said.

Sable Returns to Mercury

The Sable name today maintains an impressive 60 percent consumer awareness level. With the new 2008-model, Sable will offer the same differentiation that already is proving to be a success in the marketplace with the Mercury Mariner and Mercury Milan.

“Our newest Mercurys are attracting new customers and doing a great job at appealing to women,” Codina said.

“The Mercury Mariner attracts more new customers today to Ford and Lincoln Mercury than any other nameplate, except the Ford Mustang. And about half of Mercury Milan customers are women, which is a higher rate than for the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry or Volkswagen Passat,” Codina added.

Mercury’s signature design cues – including satin aluminum accents, high contrast interiors and upscale trim and detailing – will differentiate the new Sable from the Taurus in the same way as the Mariner and Milan.

Edited by jasonj80

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you get those pics????

Is this a joke? The Taurus and Taurus X?

I don't know, even with the added power, the 500 looks horrible with the gillette plastic-chrome grill and the 1990's headlights. I don't think the Taurus name can save it.

The Montego is the best looking of the three, those headlights on the Freestyle look like shit..

I don't know, even with the added power, the 500 looks horrible with the gillette plastic-chrome grill and the 1990's headlights. I don't think the Taurus name can save it.

The Montego is the best looking of the three, those headlights on the Freestyle look like shit..

Lessons learned? 0

Now, of all things, the damn Freestyle (Taurus X) looks like a mini-me Expedition. As for the Montego (Sable), making it look almost identical to the Milan isn't smart either. WTF? Is the same dumb designer doing all these vehicles? Right on. This boat is gonna sink.

:censored:

Edited by JLaudioF150

I got them from the ford website -- I just looked at the URL string and played around with it and got the pictures, I just figured it out for the overviews so here are those.

Taurus

Taurus X

2008 Sable

The all new 2008 Taurus, for all of you who always wanted that 1995 Passat with a disposable razor blade grill!!!!!!

:banghead:

The new "Sable" looks best, I liked the Montego name though, Sable never sounded good.

I'd rather Ford have waited until they could give the D3 cars a complete re-design before re-naming them. A nice modern look, no razor blade grill, and a shortening of the 4 foot front overhang would have been nice..

My thoughts:

1) The good: by dropping the ill-connected Freestyle name and branding the new crossover as some sort of "Taurus wagon" is a great move. The name "Taurus X" is iffy, though.

2) Bringing back the Taurus name brings buyers into the showrooms based on name recognition, but the strength of the car needs to show itself. Five Hundred has a certain amount of innovation to it and certainly has safety down pat, which was what the Taurus partially sold itself on. Now it needs that 3.5 to show the power because it can't be a slug.

3) Slapping the Taurus name on the Five Hundred is a better choice than slapping it on a midsize. Hear me out: Baby boomers who bought a Taurus with positive results might want a larger car and, boom, there's the new Taurus.

4) Because the new Taurus/Five Hundred does not have any of the styling cues that the 1986-2006 Taurii had, the design language is different, forcing a mental disconnect.

5) (Kool Aid glass finished): If Ford can pump up the iconography of the innovation that the original Taurus had, then they'll have a winner. Otherwise, mmmmmm not sure. Huge interior space and SUV-style seating might be positives.

In fact, looking at the new car -- the same car I've seen as the 2008 Five Hundred for months now on BON -- I see a better car just because of the Taurus name. Maybe I'm stupid about this, but Taurus does hearken some positive imagery, whereas Five Hundred does not.

Just keep it out of the fleets and make sure the reliability is superb and people might just come back.

Edited by Roadrunner

Taurus X? I don't care for that one...I'd prefer Taurus Country Sedan, if Ford is intent on reusing names from the past.

Freestyle, however, was not a good name...it was too close to Freestar. How many news articles from major publications repeatedly confused those two names?

I will say that the new front end, along with the 3.5 V-6, are big improvements, and are what the Freestyle...or Taurus X...needs in the marketplace, especially since the new GM crossovers seem to be quite a bit more expensive than this Ford.

According to the spokesmodel at the Philadelphia Auto Show Saturn display, the new Outlook will start at $32,000. The GMC Acadias on the floor - two SLT models equipped with AWD and the big sunroof - stickered for over $43,000.

I take it that the 'X' means crossover. Okay...

I had to see the Media site and let it sink in. I guess it is not a joke.

As for the Sable, I don't miss Mercury not here.

Well, get a good marketing campaign pushing all the good things about the Taurus/Sable and make that disconnection between the Fleet Queen special.

Good Luck Ford. Just keep improving the vehicles okay.

Hell, maybe it'll work.

Does that mean no Euro Fords for Mercury?

Where's the SHO?

Edited by Hugh

I have been considering trading my '02 Eddie Bauer Explorer for the upgraded Freestyle. I like the new nose and the 3.5. The Taurus X name doesn't do much for me. I didn't care for Freestyle either. I do like the addition of the Eddie Bauer version. When it hits the showroom floor I will definetely take a look. Montego was a better name than Sable in my opinion.

Ford better do a real media blitz to resolve all of the confusion this is going to cause. They ought to do something to appease the 500/Freestyle/Montego owners whose cars are now orphans.

An SHO replacement should be the next priority. That will get the auto mags talking up the change as long as its done right.

I am not sure this name switching is going to work well...

Zepher -> MKZ,

500->Tarus

Montego->Sable

Frestyle->Tarus X?

This has to be the strangest thing I have seen in the auto industry in a long time. The auto rags are going to have a field day with this one... Hell it might even make the monolog on the tonight show...

Maybe that is the plan. If you act weird enough, you will finally get some attention....

It reminds me on the old saying: "If you can't dazzle them with your brilliants, baffle them with your bull sh$#.."

Edited by sranger

Well whether it works or not it sure has the whole automotive world in an uproar tonight. Probably the most excitement these cars have ever generated. That is a lot more then you can say for the Five-Hundred, Montego, or Freestyle. If they really are improved maybe this will help bring people in to see them.

I just glossed over the Taurus overview. I then looked at the 2008 Five Hundreds and the only thing they changed was the name and the picture.

Not to be picky but the 30 percent improvement in power was between the D30 and D35. The 2007 Taurus only came with a Vulcan. :P

That would make a improvement of 145 hp to 260 hp or 80%. I think...

In a weird way, it makes sense. You compare the Five Hundred and the 2008 Taurus and go over the improvements of that platform.

Compare the 2007 Taurus and 2008 Taurus to anyone else and it is 100% all new.

Interesting.

I think the interior still need some work.

Edited by Hugh

Knowing that this makes the 'oh so cool know it alls' go :banghead: makes me laugh.

I mean, is it really that bad? Di you really expect an "ALL NEW BOF RWD", "improved DN101" "ALL NEW European designed car", or [insert your own pie in the sky car] over night? There's more important things to get :banghead: about.

Anyway, the sales #'s can now be combined for the D3 wagon and sedan, and the mainsteam media will say "wow sales went up". Got to realize taht it is a crowded market, and buyers will say "I want a new Sable", and now they can get one.

Like the Taurus-for-Five Hundred swap. Neutral on the Sable-for-Montego swap, Montego sounds better, but Sable is more well-known. Taurus X-for-Freestyle? Huh? What's a "Taurus X?" Stupid name.

I'm not a huge fan of the Taurus, nee Five Hundred's, new styling, but the Sable looks pretty nice. I really like the subtle tweaks to the X however. The new grille and clipped headlamps are quite attractive. Very nice indeed. However, are there any interior changes worth noting? I've always found the D3's interiors are the true let down, as they are no where near as original or unique as a Maxima or Avalon interior.

Scott

This is a Sable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sable

My brother just called. He is excited because the Taurus and Sable are coming back and he owns a Taurus. He and I both think the new Sable is the best looking one. Taurus X reminds me of a Gremlin X or a Pacer X. Taurus XC would have sounded better. I don't know why, but when you use letters after a name two sound better then one.

Edited by 2005Explorer