2008 Sable and 2008 Taurus X

jasonj80

If you want to watch a few fun memories check out these links...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPW5WVfCKr0

I think this one was really nicely done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7ed-Ijt3jc

There are even more tributes made for the Taurus and Sable....I guess they are going to need to update their videos to include the Generation 5 model now.

Now who here thinks there will be a Five-Hundred/Montego/Freestar tribute when those are gone???????

Edited by 2005Explorer

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God it's nice to say Taurus and Taurus X instead of Five Hundred and Freestyle. Not sure I like the Taurus name attached to the CUV however, but it will help to clear the air for the Fairlane.

The Taurus X makes sense to me. It is the wagon version of the Taurus no matter what it's called. It is just configured to be more versatile in space than the old Taurus wagon.

I like the new looks.... Its going to take some time to get used to the name Taurus X..... Why not the Taurus L?? or Taurus EL....

Anyways..... Why is everyone so negative about the Freestyle..... Its actualy a good car for what its purpose is.... Its not fast, but its acceptable. Very few problems even right after launch in 05. My sister has one. She loves it. Easy to get in and out. Gets good fuel mileage.... Safe. and seats 7. Same with the 500 just minus 2 seats. Good car poorly marketed. The new 3.5 is going to make a nice inprovement.

The Taurus X looks better than I expected but it can't touch the Outlook in terms of design, value, and versatility. The Outlook is a MUCH larger vehicle Richard, haven't you actually seen one on the road? It dwarfs the short and squat Freestyle.

The Taurus X is not an adequate competitor to the Lamdas, the Fairlane will probably be a better response but I don't think it's going to be a good one. The Taurus X will be a nice low volume compliment to the Taurus brand which is probably why it's wise to give it the same name. Otherwise the Freestyle will be eaten alive by just about any 7-passenger CUV around.

The Taurus X looks better than I expected but it can't touch the Outlook in terms of design, value, and versatility. The Outlook is a MUCH larger vehicle Richard, haven't you actually seen one on the road? It dwarfs the short and squat Freestyle.

The Taurus X is not an adequate competitor to the Lamdas, the Fairlane will probably be a better response but I don't think it's going to be a good one. The Taurus X will be a nice low volume compliment to the Taurus brand which is probably why it's wise to give it the same name. Otherwise the Freestyle will be eaten alive by just about any 7-passenger CUV around.

I agree, they should ditch it and concentrate on the Fairlane, and low volume is not what Ford needs right now, something distinctive is REALLY important.....the Fairlane has SO much potential to theoretically turn the minivan market on it's ear and create a new niche...Odesseys and Siennas have had it good too long...and Fords effort just plain sucked.

BORG, it must have grown, because I've been in a Freestyle and been in a mid-90s Outback, and I would say both are about the same size.

I'm also curious at what sort of numbers Subaru moves when it comes to the Outback....because that vehicle to me is the most direct competition along with the Pacifica...and I don't think Chrysler is moving monumental amounts of them either...must check what sort of rebates thay have on that toad...THAT will tell me how well they are selling....ahem!

I don't understand what Ford was thinking with the Freestyle, I knew they would have problems with it from day 1. Ford made some VERY poor decisions when they put the Freestyle together. They should have been doing what GM has done, vacating the fading SUV segment and committing to a CUV replacement. Ford is trying to protect the Explorer and now they have a wasted investment and plunging market share in the people-mover segment. Talk about ALL the wrong moves! And Ford's answer is going to be one dubious product, the Fairlane. That is one odd duckling and it's extremely polarizing. Ford's product future is a little scary.

It dwarfs the short and squat Freestyle

It's taller, true, but that extra height does not translate into better passenger accomodations. All passenger dimensions are similar, except the 2nd row Taurus legroom and 3rd row Lambda hip/shoulder room (which the Lambdas deftly ruin by sculpting the 3rd row for 3 passengers, not 2).

And you are right, the Taurus is no competitor with the Lambdas. Seeing that the Lambdas cost more than EVERY OTHER 7/8 passenger crossover, they've pretty well put themselves out of contention.

Last year, with a year on the market, and almost no advertising whatsoever, Ford sold over 4700 Freestyles in January. This year they moved 2000, with even less advertising. Meanwhile GM has sold 2600 Acadias and Outlooks--despite a massive publicity campaign.

Inventory certainly doesn't appear to be a problem:

http://www.saturnftcollins.com/new/index.c...p;model=outlook

But perhaps price is.

What I fail to understand, further, Borg, in your harping on the Taurus, and your praise of the Lambdas, is that the Taurus is dirt cheap.... It is the bargain player in the segment, and will remain so. It is MOR on cargo space, power, and economy; top of the line on safety, price and available electronics, and you say that it is going to fail where the extremely expensive Lambdas, which carry exactly two advantages: cargo volume and horsepower, will succeed.

Given the American consumer's expectations from American products, I would have to say that a $29k AWD Taurus with leather and a few other goodies has a much better shot at success than a $40k Saturn with the same equipment.

It's taller, true, but that extra height does not translate into better passenger accomodations. All passenger dimensions are similar, except the 2nd row Taurus legroom and 3rd row Lambda hip/shoulder room (which the Lambdas deftly ruin by sculpting the 3rd row for 3 passengers, not 2).

And you are right, the Taurus is no competitor with the Lambdas. Seeing that the Lambdas cost more than EVERY OTHER 7/8 passenger crossover, they've pretty well put themselves out of contention.

Last year, with a year on the market, and almost no advertising whatsoever, Ford sold over 4700 Freestyles in January. This year they moved 2000, with even less advertising. Meanwhile GM has sold 2600 Acadias and Outlooks--despite a massive publicity campaign.

Inventory certainly doesn't appear to be a problem:

http://www.saturnftcollins.com/new/index.c...p;model=outlook

But perhaps price is.

see I'm all confused although I DO see the Subaru OUTBACK as competition with the Freestyle, I see the Outlook as more of an in-between Escape and Explorer...more Escape though....Richard is 4700 for just o month? Hell we haven't sold one in 6

Edited by Deanh

Massive campaign? I JUST started seeing commercials for the cars, while I'm bombarded with the Edge ads.

The Outlook is pricey, but a similarly equipped Freestyle lands right into the Outlooks well-equipped price range. The Outlook tops out REALLY high, but they also offer a lot more technology and features when you push it that far. Ford is improving their feature deficiencies, but it's struggling to offer anything more than the basics.

that was when they launched no? And now they aren't moving at all.....current numbers don't justify it even being produced, facelift and powertrain may help a tad initially but watch....

No, that was a year after they launched. In Jan. '05 they sold 4100 of them. This number, with proper marketing support should be sustainable, IMO.

No, that was a year after they launched. In Jan. '05 they sold 4100 of them. This number, with proper marketing support should be sustainable, IMO.

You're not factoring in the Lambdas which didn't exist at the time. There are far more choices now so a very week CUV like the Freestyle really doesn't have a chance at maintaining sales, let alone improve upon them.

see I'm all confused although I DO see the Subaru OUTBACK as competition with the Freestyle, I see the Outlook as more of an in-between Escape and Explorer...more Escape though....Richard is 4700 for just o month? Hell we haven't sold one in 6

The Outlook/Acadia is 1.5 inches longer, 3 inches wider and 7 inches taller, it also is 1,000lbs heavier, they do have 2.5 inch more ground clearance though. The extra cargo area is the width and the height. They also are much more expensive. More Explorer/Expedition competition than Escape/Edge.

I do see with this change that the remaining Montego/Five Hundred/Freestyles are going to be very difficult to move.

a similarly equipped Freestyle lands right into the Outlooks well-equipped price range.

What are you talking about?

While the Outlook XE AWD is only $500 more than the comparable Freestyle LTD, the Freestyle comes with equipment that costs an extra $1300k on the Outlook. That's an $1,800 difference right there, and the Outlook is the 'bargain' Lambda. And an extra $500 if you want a 7 passenger model.

Edited by RichardJensen

Wishful thinking at this point I think. The era of the front bench seat is all but dead. Even many pickup configurations now aren't front benches. The lack of column-mounted shifters makes it all the more difficult to integrate such an option on most vehicles also. Add in that all seats shortly will require head restraints and 3-point harnesses and you run into quite a mess of changes that would be needed to add room for a "once-in-a-blue-moon" passenger.

Side note -- I never really understood what the problem was with column shifters? They are simple to operate, they worked just fine, and they allowed designers to do something else with the space between the front seats. Any ideas what really made it fall out of favor?

My understanding is that NHTSA changed the standard for how much the steering column collapses, in a collision, and that made it really difficult to design the column shifter.

GM's Lambdas are newer yes, but the current Taurus wagon can hold over until the next generation D platform Ford/Volvos. Would not that be within a few more years? Also, Chevy gets a X-over to directly compete with the T X, soon.

The good thing, is that Ford didn't wait 7 years to update the D3's. It's been out for 2.5 years, about the same as imports' cycles. And, shorter time than VW's updates for sure.

BORG, it must have grown, because I've been in a Freestyle and been in a mid-90s Outback, and I would say both are about the same size.

My brother's wife has an Outback wagon. There is NO comparison. The Taurus X is WAAAAY larger inside. And the Outback doesn't have framed windows...WTF??

My understanding is that NHTSA changed the standard for how much the steering column collapses, in a collision, and that made it really difficult to design the column shifter.

I guess that explains why some of the newer minivans went to those dashboard mounted shifters. My last 3 Explorers had the column shift. The first one was a 5 speed manual. I have always thought the floor shift was sportier