2008 Sable and 2008 Taurus X

jasonj80

My understanding is that NHTSA changed the standard for how much the steering column collapses, in a collision, and that made it really difficult to design the column shifter.

I can't see it being that difficult to design a shift linkage that would collapse along with the steering column. Maybe engineers just got lazy.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the confusion between Outback and Outlook, maybe Saturn will re-name it "Ion"?

Saturn has a whole slew of options:

Saturn Word, an urban hip small crossover.

Saturn Excel, their first upscale luxury car.

Saturn Project, the pickup for the weekend do-it-yourselfer.

Saturn PowerPoint, the vehicle loaded with high-tech AV gear.

Saturn Visio, the first vehicle made entirely of transparent plastic.

And of course, the Saturn Vista, the car that will look really pretty but still only run as well as their 10-year-old competition.

Edited by NickF1011

The Outlook/Acadia is 1.5 inches longer, 3 inches wider and 7 inches taller, it also is 1,000lbs heavier, they do have 2.5 inch more ground clearance though. The extra cargo area is the width and the height. They also are much more expensive. More Explorer/Expedition competition than Escape/Edge.

I do see with this change that the remaining Montego/Five Hundred/Freestyles are going to be very difficult to move.

You don't get that much more cargo room from those dimensional increases. I mean the load floor is going to be about 4.5' wide, and roughly 6.5' long, that gives you a total cargo floor of 29.25 cubic feet, which means you need an extra foot of vertical cargo space to get an extra 30 cubic feet.

It is worth noting, however, that the SAE cargo volume standard is not the total volume of space behind the front seats. It is, rather, the amount of space occupied by a series of standard dimensional boxes that are fitted into the space behind the seats.

From that stand point, I suppose it's possible that the 3-4" in additional width, and the 3-4" of additional height (plus the Lambda's less pronounced tumblehome) from load floor to ceiling may enable the Lambdas to hold enough additional unit boxes to bump up the rated cargo volume by an extra 30 cubic feet (worth noting: Passenger dimensions are almost equal, meaning that the Lambda passenger sits more upright, with shorter seat cushions, in order to generate almost identical passenger dimensions).

From all the numbers I've seen, though, the Lambda package does not appear to top the Freestyle package in passenger accommodation by anything more than a few finger widths across the hips and shoulders.

When push comes to shove, I don't think the new Taurus, with its MSRP likely lower than the outgoing Freestyle & refined interior materials/sound deadening/powertrain, will come across as the definite loser that some on this board seem bent on depicting it.

Edited by RichardJensen

Lookie here....Taurus and Sable websites are already up... :D

2008 Taurus with a link to the new Taurus X. I like how they call it the "All New" Taurus. I guess compared to the Taurus that just went out of production it is all new.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/2008taurus/

and of course the new Sable

http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/sable08/

My brother's wife has an Outback wagon. There is NO comparison. The Taurus X is WAAAAY larger inside. And the Outback doesn't have framed windows...WTF??

It was a dumbass response: I misinterpreted BORG's statement as "Outback is larger than Freestyle."

I considered the fact the Legacy has grown in size (or looks like it) and assumed a comparision with its wagon equivalent, the Outback, to the Freestyle, which is indeed big.

So you're right that the Freestyle is a damn big wagon. But I would need to see the modern Outback again to make any comment.

One thing's for sure....

Ford is not pulling any punches on the 2008 Taurus. They're outright calling it the 'perfect' family car.

Interesting strategy. Wonder if it will work.

Well,

- it isn't marketed as a sporty sedan like the Fusion

- it's got a lot of storage room, meaning it can operate like a utilitarian SUV

- and it's fucking safe (I can use fucking because it's too late in the night for me to be articulate)

Lookie here....Taurus and Sable websites are already up... :D

2008 Taurus with a link to the new Taurus X. I like how they call it the "All New" Taurus. I guess compared to the Taurus that just went out of production it is all new.

Folks, it is truth in advertising.. it is in fact an all new Taurus... LOL!

Also, this is not the first time Ford has pulled this stunt... When Ford brought out the mid-sized 83 LTD and Marquis, they were restyled Fairmont/Zephyrs that replaced the 1981-82 Granada/Cougar while taking over for the Fairmont/Zephyr after 1983 when the smaller FWD Tempo/Topaz was introduced.

Folks, it is truth in advertising.. it is in fact an all new Taurus... LOL!

Also, this is not the first time Ford has pulled this stunt... When Ford brought out the mid-sized 83 LTD and Marquis, they were restyled Fairmont/Zephyrs that replaced the 1981-82 Granada/Cougar while taking over for the Fairmont/Zephyr after 1983 when the smaller FWD Tempo/Topaz was introduced.

and with that said...if you look way back in automotive history the midsized LTD and Marquis did prove to be much better sellers then the Granada and 4-door Cougar...with a facelift and a name change...so who knows this time? One thing we know for certain is the idea of a 4-door Cougar...or worse yet...a Cougar station wagon....will NEVER happen again! (now what did they say about a 4-door Mustang?) :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Oh...and marketing the new Taurus as the perfect "family car" is the way to go because when you consider the size, truck, safety, etc. it IS the perfect family car.

How about a contact lens logo for the Focus? And a disposable razor on the Fusion?

LOL a contect lens on a Focus... What if Ford designed a logo for a Probe? Freestyle... the logo would have been a mini-pad...

Well I think the grille on the Fusion IS a giant razor emblem.... BTW ever notice Gillette has a history of naming cars after Fords? Mach, Edge, Fusion...

One thing's for sure....

Ford is not pulling any punches on the 2008 Taurus. They're outright calling it the 'perfect' family car.

Interesting strategy. Wonder if it will work.

Well look at what strategy they took with this car in 1986. It was marketed AS the 'perfect' family car. Really when you come to think of it...is there really a better car on the market right now for a family with a couple of kids? It's roomy...has features that families look for and is roomy. Who wants a family car that has a small trunk or a small back seat?

What got Ford in trouble with this model is first...a generic name that no one can remember...and second...trying to pretend the car is something it is not. Will it work? I have no idea...but it sure is a heck of a lot better marketing for this car. They need to continue this theme. Everyone carries more and more crap with them on trips and vacations these days and SUV's have spoiled people...but with fuel prices again on the rise...I would think more families would be looking for a roomy, reliable, safe sedan that can haul a LOT of crap!

Check out these commercials when the 1986 Taurus launched...oh and notice that "oh so cool" 1980's digital dash!

Taurus

Taurus Wagon

Here is a nice video of the new 2008 models in action and talks all about them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqV6CwrtzJU

Edited by 2005Explorer