First Test: 2007 Ford Shelby GT

range

For $36K in a stang, I would expect more than a lowered stang with 319 HP and 330 lbs of torque. Espeically if it burned premium. Given that it gets a slightly underrated 300/320 from the factory in base GT specs on regular. A good set of headers, some intake breathing mods, and some other tweaking could net you that on regular for less than the price difference from a base GT. And that includes having someone do the install work and tuning it for you. Upgrade the tires and you're still in the budget, and, you likely have 99% of the shelby's handling without worrying about every road imperfection around destroying your lower body work.

While I applaud the effort and the collector's status of the Shelby GT, from a bang for your buck standpoint, I remain unimpressed. It's damned shame that Ford never did make an all aluminum block version of the 5.4L 3V with a cam tuned for HP instead of low rpm torque. I can almost guarantee you that such an engine could be made to deliver, on premium fuel, 350 HP and 380 lbs of torque, weigh no more than 75 lbs more than the 4.6L 3V in the base GT, and be a whole lot of fun in a GT350. They could likely sell as many of them as they wanted to at around $30K for that with minor suspension improvements over the base GT.

....................... and they will sell every one that they build.

You forgot that part.

It doesn't matter that you are not impressed by the car. The car mags are. Mustang people, and/or Shelby people will be tickled silly.

In the end, that is all that really matters. Well, that and all the cars that will sell.