How long before Nascar becomes a negative?

Stray Kat

Here is the Jeff Gordon signing story( condensed version), confirmed to my wife & me by Jeff himself in his rookie season over dinner. (yes we know him personally, and I have great respect for his driving talent in a variety of cars). I bought dinner that time by the way. He paid later at Charlotte..

He was running at Charlotte doing practice laps and Humpy & Rick Hendrick were watching from one of the suites...

Jeff was sliding the car every lap onto the front straight, Rick asked Humpy, "who is that driver and let's watch him bust his ass, because he is on the ragged edge, and is about to hit the wall hard"

After a large number of incident free laps, Rick asked who he drove for....Humpy said Bill Davis/Ford. but they haven't yet come thru

with the promised Cup contract.....Rick signed him that day, and the rest is history.

Jeff went fast enough in his first ever drive in Montoya's F1 BMW to have qualified 6th on the grid for the F1 race.....he did a very decent job at the Rolex 24 last Jan for his first ever drive in that type of car. We were there watching him & Jimmie Johnson...

He has "car feel", which all the great driver's seem to have...Mario, AJ, Stirling etc, they all drove and won in all types of race cars.

Tony Stewart also has that skill, the common denominator is usually sprint cars, Sports cars or some type of open wheel racecar background.

They are all a bitch to drive well.....

We have minimized our NASCAR viewing, and are on the Grand AM, ALMS and SCCA racing bandwagon.

It is only logical for us, as that was the type of racing where I raced for 17 yrs in Porsche 911's...I also raced NHRA and AMA roadracing on motorcycles....(hence: oldracer...)

I am still active in NHRA some and Motorcycle racing, just not riding them at my age anymore....

I am still a weekend track guy with various Mustangs we drag race though, can't seem to quit.........

• 2 weeks later...
I find it funny how a company that emphasizes retro-themes and its illustrious 100+ year history(Ford Racing heritage commercial), skips the anti-semitic beliefs of its founder or the company's complicity and profiting with and from the Nazis during WWII. Is it a big deal? Maybe, maybe not, but the man's name is the logo itself. Japan's parliament-PR is having a helluva time with its comfort women used during WWII, it'll be interesting to see if anything else comes back from WWII to haunt someone or some company.

oh yeah smart accusation there, that Nazi money must have went to the manufacturing of the Willy's Jeep(which was built by Ford) and helped the allies hand the Nazi's their ass

good job dumb ass :finger:

Here is the Jeff Gordon signing story( condensed version), confirmed to my wife & me by Jeff himself in his rookie season over dinner. (yes we know him personally, and I have great respect for his driving talent in a variety of cars). I bought dinner that time by the way. He paid later at Charlotte..

He was running at Charlotte doing practice laps and Humpy & Rick Hendrick were watching from one of the suites...

Jeff was sliding the car every lap onto the front straight, Rick asked Humpy, "who is that driver and let's watch him bust his ass, because he is on the ragged edge, and is about to hit the wall hard"

After a large number of incident free laps, Rick asked who he drove for....Humpy said Bill Davis/Ford. but they haven't yet come thru

with the promised Cup contract.....Rick signed him that day, and the rest is history.

Jeff went fast enough in his first ever drive in Montoya's F1 BMW to have qualified 6th on the grid for the F1 race.....he did a very decent job at the Rolex 24 last Jan for his first ever drive in that type of car. We were there watching him & Jimmie Johnson...

He has "car feel", which all the great driver's seem to have...Mario, AJ, Stirling etc, they all drove and won in all types of race cars.

Tony Stewart also has that skill, the common denominator is usually sprint cars, Sports cars or some type of open wheel racecar background.

They are all a bitch to drive well.....

We have minimized our NASCAR viewing, and are on the Grand AM, ALMS and SCCA racing bandwagon.

It is only logical for us, as that was the type of racing where I raced for 17 yrs in Porsche 911's...I also raced NHRA and AMA roadracing on motorcycles....(hence: oldracerHump...)

I am still active in NHRA some and Motorcycle racing, just not riding them at my age anymore....

I am still a weekend track guy with various Mustangs we drag race though, can't seem to quit.........

Excellent post.

I watched Jeff Gordan when he use to drive for Rollie Helming. Jeff Gordan was a natural.

My father and I worked for Rollie for many years (and many years ago) when he owned Red & White stories in Indiana and started his racing team.

• 4 months later...

This topic is about losers, sour grapes and ignorance.

Nobody ever copied anything that Ford ever developed, such as canted valves and small block engines.

Only losers blame the sanctioning bodies for lack of success.

Ford has never had more than minor success in WOO or any type of sprint car racing.

Ford has never had more than minor success in NHRA racing except for dishing out zillions to John Farce using Chrysler engines and implying to six pack joe who believes they are Ford.

The last time I checked all ASA cars were using SBCs.

And then there's the highly lauded flathead V8; truth is the flathead Ford V8 won only one NASCAR race. Consider that the lowly, inline 6 cylinder Plymouth won 10 NASCAR races, one of which was the first ever Southern 500 at Darlington, SC in 1950, and the second place car was 9 laps down. Lee Petty would have won the championship in a 6 cylinder Plymouth had not NASCAR deducted points as punishment for him racing in a different series.

So where is the Ford "winning tradition", it's sure not nascar and never has been. It's more about deceit and using "borrowed" technology.

And by the way, here's just a very little about the Nazi connection and hatred for the Jewish people.

http://www.thememoryhole.org/fordnazi.htm

This topic is about losers, sour grapes and ignorance.

Nobody ever copied anything that Ford ever developed, such as canted valves and small block engines.

Only losers blame the sanctioning bodies for lack of success.

Ford has never had more than minor success in WOO or any type of sprint car racing.

Ford has never had more than minor success in NHRA racing except for dishing out zillions to John Farce using Chrysler engines and implying to six pack joe who believes they are Ford.

The last time I checked all ASA cars were using SBCs.

And then there's the highly lauded flathead V8; truth is the flathead Ford V8 won only one NASCAR race. Consider that the lowly, inline 6 cylinder Plymouth won 10 NASCAR races, one of which was the first ever Southern 500 at Darlington, SC in 1950, and the second place car was 9 laps down. Lee Petty would have won the championship in a 6 cylinder Plymouth had not NASCAR deducted points as punishment for him racing in a different series.

So where is the Ford "winning tradition", it's sure not nascar and never has been. It's more about deceit and using "borrowed" technology.

And by the way, here's just a very little about the Nazi connection and hatred for the Jewish people.

http://www.thememoryhole.org/fordnazi.htm

Ford is developing an engine for Nitro racing. I read that the Force teams will be using it next season.

And then there's the highly lauded flathead V8; truth is the flathead Ford V8 won only one NASCAR race. Consider that the lowly, inline 6 cylinder Plymouth won 10 NASCAR races, one of which was the first ever Southern 500 at Darlington, SC in 1950, and the second place car was 9 laps down.

Re: 1950 Southern 500-

whoa whoa whoa, that race was won by 9 laps because everybody's tires kept blowing, hence a need for pitstops. The guy who won put on sturdier truck tires and maintained a steady pace, meaning in a sense that the turtle beat the many, many hares.

Ford is developing an engine for Nitro racing. I read that the Force teams will be using it next season.

Apparently you are reading the deceptive implications made by Force and the Ford Racing spokespersons.

Why is there not one speck of info as to which Ford engine "type" this (new) engine represents. If it is indeed a Ford type engine there would surely be some mention of it.

I'm beginning to think it is nothing more than a warmed over Chrysler Hemi with a FORD sign on it just about the same as the COSWORTH was in 1960s F-1 racing.

Apparently you are reading the deceptive implications made by Force and the Ford Racing spokespersons.

Why is there not one speck of info as to which Ford engine "type" this (new) engine represents. If it is indeed a Ford type engine there would surely be some mention of it.

I'm beginning to think it is nothing more than a warmed over Chrysler Hemi with a FORD sign on it just about the same as the COSWORTH was in 1960s F-1 racing.

Time will tell.

• 1 month later...
Really I mean Jimmie Johnson just outdueled a potential Ford superstar, Tony Stewert for the win today. Tony is another one of those drivers that got through Ford's fingers when he was coming up. I'm sure I remember him getting plenty of Ford backing during his Midget and Sprint Car years. Where is he now? Need I list the others?

So how many seasons of participation without a reasonable number of wins should Ford do before it actually casts Ford like an "also ran" negative. Fricken Minneaplolis- Moline can compete but if they lose every week how would that be a positive for them?

It galds me to see all those dollars flushed when I know the truth. Ford is the remaining manufacturer with a production based engine. The others have adopted a Ford type head to fit their custom made funny car blocks to keep up in the hp wars. All the hassle so we can see spec cars carrying Ford stickers. Who cares?

If it's worth it Ford you better stop playing nice and start stealing drivers back and muscleing Nascar for equal treatment under the hood. A liberal use of the chrome horn would be nice to see in return for all the times I've seen it done to Ford drivers when the chips are down.

Fugetabout Nascar, I have'nt seen them do you any favors!

nascar is a negative now. they care nothing about the fans anymore. they are already having the drop in attendance. they have the toyota in there and it should not be, and all they care about is money.

• 10 months later...

You guys all missed the best Ford driver ever in NASCAR.

'Pearson, a three-time NASCAR Winston Cup champion, is second on NASCAR Winston Cup's all-time win list with 105, second only to Richard Petty.

Pearson, or the "Silver Fox" as he became known, set an unprecedented superspeedway qualifying record by winning 11 straight pole positions at Charlotte (N.C.) Motor Speedway form 1973-78. He won the 1976 Daytona 500. Pearson ranks second on NASCAR's all-time pole positions earned with 113, fourth in laps led with 25,425 and sixth overall in races led with 329 races. He won 11 of the 18 NASCAR Winston Cup events he entered in 1973. Pearson won 43 races from 1972-79 while driving for the famous Wood Brothers.'

NASCAR stopped being stock cars a long time ago. I believe Chevy had the first modern day race car which was patterned after a front wheel drive car. Remember when only the Corvette was rear wheel drive?

As much as I love to watch the races, NASCAR has almost nothing to do with new street car technology nor does it further sales. The old saying 'win on Sunday, sell on Monday' is long gone. I'll bet you most of those die hard Earnhart Jr. fans drove Toyotas or Hondas to the track.

I think the glory days of NASCAR are gone and the down hill slide is just starting. They are already racing a spec car. The only difference is the engine under the hood, and none of us can buy one of those. NASCAR = CART in the soon to be extinct category.

nascar is a negative now. they care nothing about the fans anymore. they are already having the drop in attendance. they have the toyota in there and it should not be, and all they care about is money.

IMO, the NASCAR season is way too long as it is in most sports. Here it is almost Christmas, and NASCAR season hasn't ended yet. The NASCAR season should start in May and be over by September. Maybe the Daytona 500 in February as it is now, but then long break until next race. Shorten the season, especially in these terrible economic times. NASCAR is overexposing the sport and too much money is being spent getting race cars to different venue every week almost the entire year. As attendance continues to wane, all this expense of racing every week will start to be way too much. The Big Three certainly don't have the money anymore.

• 1 month later...

I saw on the news today that with the big 3 in trouble it's only a matter of time before we see more Import cars in NASCAR (Nissan, Honda, ect...) The import car companies have seen how well Toyota has done and they might be ready for a piece of the action. IMHO Nascar has been a negative since they let Toyota in.

just a opinion:

I think NASCAR is a negative and has been since they got so far from the 'stock car' which used to be at least loosley based upon something close to a american automobile. with the goofy 'car of tomorrow' I could care less whose name or headlight shape stickers are on it- it pays big bucks in advertising, but the whole 'stock car' thing relating to brand loyalty is got to be a stretch at best...I mean if everyone was racing a taurus or a malibu or a altima, who would want to go watch it- I see no difference with the car of tomorrow.

I'd love to see trans-am type return with stock powered mustangs/challengers/camaros - you know the kinds of cars a lot of guys could buy/race prep in their garage and go racing- kinda the way NASCAR got started, except for requiring braking/acceleration/right turns more than once per pit stop that is the norm today

• 1 year later...

NASCAR has turned into a baby sitting forum1 They cried and whined because the rules weren't fair, so they now require the cars be built identical.....even listing the parts suppliers, then it's I should need to qualify for each race....give me a guarenteed spot because of my history! BS David Pearson was interviewed a couple of years ago on what he though of the new rules.....I stood up in my excitement as he was outraged - and the interviewer was even a little surprised at the intensity of which he meant every word!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

All valid and good points guys. Let me just add the "One has nothing to do with the other." factor in there.

When I watch a NASCAR race as do many of my friends, almost never do we say that so and so is driving a Ford while this other driver is driving a Chevy and that guy is driving the new Toyota. This is because we all know the race cars have absolutely zero in common with any production car on the road today much less the FWD production cars they pretend to represent. None of us watches a NASCAR race and thinks that Ford or Chevy is better or worse based on the outcome of a the race because honestly, the race cars are so far removed and different from anything rolling off a production line that trying to compare the two and say "See Ford is better because a Fusion won the Daytona 500." is just a moronically stupid point of view. You might as well compare a crop duster to the space shuttle. The majority of fans know this of course and I think that only adds to the "bubble is about to burst" effect that Richard spoke of. Like I said about this topic over in the "Competition" forum, I think people would rather see the manufacturers take honest to God production cars and make them race ready (or as race ready as you can make a FWD Fusion) and put them on the track because at least then you would have a much turer measure of one manufacturer vs. another in a race leagued branded "stock car."

Speak for yourself.

If a Ford doesn't win a race, I am disappointed. I don't care what the name of the driver is. I want a Ford to win. Even if it is nowhere near a production vehicle, if it is a Ford, I am pissed if it doesn't win. Don't fool yourself. "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" still applies.

That is just the way I roll.

It's the same with motorcycle racing. If a Ducati doesn't win, I am disappointed, I don't care who is riding, just it as long as it wins.

• 3 months later...

To me, Jr's management of NASCAR just parallel most of today's drivers....cry babies who

1. Don't want to be required to qualify for each race

2. Cried because the cars aren't build equal- someone got creative and built a better one!

3. By design, pushed out the no-name teams who could provide a real challenge to the existing, new drivers & owners clubs

I bet it's on youtube, but ESPN interviewed David Pearson (my personal hero along with Holman-Moody), asking what he thought of the new rules.......

Oh did he let them have it!

GOOD FOR DAVID!!!!!

NASCAR has already lost it!