BREAKING: Ford Flex Crossover

igor

source :

The last big secret surrounding Ford Motor Co.'s new full-size crossover is out: It will be called the Flex.

As The Detroit News first reported last June, Ford's new "people mover" will be based on the Fairlane concept unveiled at the Detroit auto show in 2005. The production version is slated to make its debut April 4 at the New York auto show. | MORE |

interesting ..

Igor

Edited by staff

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ughhhh the Fing naming Scheme is still alive!

funkmaster_ford.jpg

Is the first thing I though of when hearing the name

Damn its coming out in SEPTEMBER? OMFG

Guess we'll see it next month at NYIAS

Anyways..even though it starts with an F, I like the new name...

Edited by silvrsvt

Ughhhh the Fing naming Scheme is still alive!

funkmaster_ford.jpg

Is the first thing I though of when hearing the name

Damn its coming out in SEPTEMBER? OMFG

Guess we'll see it next month at NYIAS

this just got me decided - I am going to NYAIAS..

and I do believe this name was actually chose on purpose for marketing purposes - it has a HUGE potential for marketing .. after all flexibility IS the name of the game for minivans and 7 passenger crossovers.

and yes September Job1 is way earlier than expected (yes it is over 2 years since concept, Ford did not jsut build the concept .. they only too the IDEA of the concept and built a brand new car ... )

Igor

Edited by igor

Good Job Ford on getting this vehicle out a year sooner than what everyone was predicting.

I like the name "Flex" also. I'm not a fan of having all names start with a specific letter because then you end up grasping at straws for a name but "Flex" is a good name.

It is great that it will have suicide doors, as it is different, and to be blunt is "cool"

Overall I am very pleasantly suprised by Ford.

Keep up the good work.

Anyword on the Lincoln Variant?

Edited by DCK

It looks interesting, like a blown up Scion xB, with a bit of Range Rover in there and not like a hint of Expedition/Excursion of course with the grill much like the Edge as most new stuff will have as a signature. The feature i am surprised at is the center opening doors - like the Honda Element (its not far off the styling of that either).

Its way to boxy for my liking, it might have some nice features and performance that might swing it for most, but i dont know if this is going to be as big a hit as the Fusion and the Edge.

Edited by sim

Anyword on the Lincoln Variant?

DCK? Praising Ford?

I must be dreaming !!!! :D (j/k)

Lincoln will debut later ..maybe LA, maybe Detroit, maybe New York next year - Ford wants to put more distance between Lincoln and F/M so they are not so easily perceived as the same cars.

The Lincoln will share NO sheet metal or even design themes with the Ford. It should be the first truly unique Lincoln in a while.

Igor

Edited by igor

I'm having a hard time believing that it will have full size rear suicide doors.

I'm having a hard time beilieving it too. This will certainly limit the market to people who don't have to often get kids in and out in parkiing lots. Trapped in the triangle...

I'm having a hard time beilieving it too. This will certainly limit the market to people who don't have to often get kids in and out in parkiing lots. Trapped in the triangle...

au contraire I really believe it is easier to load and unload the precious cargo with rear-hinged doors than front-hinged ones ... remember this is crossover - not minivan ..

we will have to wait 2 weeks and see, but I think this setup will have definite advantages in access to the sedond or even third row of seats ..

Igor

au contraire I really believe it is easier to load and unload the precious cargo with rear-hinged doors than front-hinged ones ... remember this is crossover - not minivan ..

we will have to wait 2 weeks and see, but I think this setup will have definite advantages in access to the sedond or even third row of seats ..

Igor

I have to agree...people still stick their kids in the back of SUV's every day..and they dont have sliding doors. If there is a will, there is a way. I never heard anyone who got a minivan get it because it had a sliding door on it. Plus if you have the room, access to both the front and rear of the passenger compartment might be totally unimpeded if they dont have a b-pillar, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I'm having a hard time believing that it will have full size rear suicide doors.

While not quite as large as this vehicle, the Honda Element makes due rather effectively with full-size suicide doors. Hopefully it will be an "open" design like the Element also, without the use of a fixed B-pillar between the doors. That would likely cut down a bit on the required size of the door opening in the rear.

I wouldn't get too excited about it though. The reference to the suicide doors may have just been a little journalistic creativity on the part of the writer, basing his conclusion on the Fairlane concept.

I suppose naming this thing Flex puts to rest any hope of a Reflex, eh?

Edited by NickF1011

Job One is September 15th ... per TCC who read the whole article from WSJ/DowJones.

Igor

I'll say again: it's not coming out this September. Take that to the bank.

It might come out September 15th, but it won't be THIS September 15th.

Swizco