BREAKING: Ford Flex Crossover

igor

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OAC is sending thier team to the pilot plant next week to start the VP build. It's starting to get crowded there. Us (DTP)& KCAP for the 150 and CAP for the Taurus, Sable and Lincoln. :stirpot: Rumor going around Lincoln is dropping the "MK?" and going back to names :doh:

bout time Lincoln woke up...next de-chroming.....or at least more SUBTLETY with the reflective stuff....

I don't care for the name, but what really concerns me is if it will look anything like the boxy, boring, 80's Range Rover thing the concept was, and will it have the hideous razor blade grill? And drum brakes? Cheap interior?

How will this differ from the Edge if it's the same thing but a little more boxy?

How will this differ from the Freestyle if it's the same thing but a little more boxy?

It has something that the freestyle lacked completely....styling.............basically it is a different take on the minivan as such....and won't/ shouldn't be burdened with the stigma

Maybe they will use their 6 door concept that they applied for a patent on about the same time as the body for the Flex. Small acces doors behind the 2 rear doors. They do have the 3 bar grill, but much smaller and smashed down than the Fairlane/Edge grills. THe Lincoln is completely different, beltline swoops up in the back, c pillar is indented from the tailgate section and has the MKR front end.

I'm having a hard time believing that it will have full size rear suicide doors.

So far I like what I see/read. This vehicle looks like its right in the wheelhouse of the Kia Rondo.

I've only got two concerns.

1. Pricing. How much will this critter be? If I can't touch an "ok" optioned one for somewhere around the neighborhood of $20k, I'll have to look at other choices. Some aggressive leasing options would also draw me in.

2. More importantly.... the issue of the suicide doors and NO 'B' pillar. Ford had better DARN well have done something about roof strength in this vehicle to prevent crash debacles like this:

a012-alinizcrash-0404n-4.jpg

http://detnews.com/2004/specialreport/0404/13/a09-119931.htm

This photo demonstrates (IMHO) the importance of having a 'B' pillar in the body structure. Ford supposedly improved the current F-Series to help minimize this problem. I sure hope those lessons have been passed down to the Flex design team.

But "wet blanket" concerns aside, THIS is the vehicle that will be a make-or-break weapon in Ford's arsenal. Because of the 3rd row seating options, it is much more on my radar than the Edge. I hope it's lighter and more fuel efficient (with better braking) than the Edge too.

Good luck Ford!

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

So far I like what I see/read. This vehicle looks like its right in the wheelhouse of the Kia Rondo.

I've only got two concerns.

1. Pricing. How much will this critter be? If I can't touch an "ok" optioned one for somewhere around the neighborhood of $20k, I'll have to look at other choices. Some aggressive leasing options would also draw me in.

2. More importantly.... the issue of the suicide doors and NO 'B' pillar. Ford had better DARN well have done something about roof strength in this vehicle to prevent crash debacles like this:

a012-alinizcrash-0404n-4.jpg

http://detnews.com/2004/specialreport/0404/13/a09-119931.htm

This photo demonstrates (IMHO) the importance of having a 'B' pillar in the body structure. Ford supposedly improved the current F-Series to help minimize this problem. I sure hope those lessons have been passed down to the Flex design team.

But "wet blanket" concerns aside, THIS is the vehicle that will be a make-or-break weapon in Ford's arsenal. Because of the 3rd row seating options, it is much more on my radar than the Edge. I hope it's lighter and more fuel efficient (with better braking) than the Edge too.

Good luck Ford!

-Ovaltine

I think everyone has come to the conclusion no suicide doors which means it must have a B pillar....I'm not too worried about weight as such ...sure the Edge is a little porky, but their is no doubt in my mind that may be a consequence of inbuilt crash-worthiness....

Flex is, IMO, a pretty good name. I'm not a naming expert, so I can't come up with five or six better off the top of my head.

The name has good phonaesthetics in combination with "Ford", as does "Fusion" (Freestar & Freestyle don't). It also has a bit more meaning for the target audience than "Fairlane"--an aristocratic name that may have struck potential customers as a trifle pretentious.

I'm halfway with you.

I see the Ford Fairlane concept as being a large, square throwback wagon with an upscale tinge. I liked it.

Flex sounds fun, but... too frivolous for a minivan. Who knows, maybe people will pick up on it though.

I don't care for the name, but what really concerns me is if it will look anything like the boxy, boring, 80's Range Rover thing the concept was, and will it have the hideous razor blade grill? And drum brakes? Cheap interior?

How will this differ from the Edge if it's the same thing but a little more boxy?

oh man such a cheap interior!!!! Ford has no idea how to make a nice interior ... It looks like a Focus :D

Fairlane%20Interior.png

(note the sarcasm, please)

Igor

I think everyone has come to the conclusion no suicide doors which means it must have a B pillar....I'm not too worried about weight as such ...sure the Edge is a little porky, but their is no doubt in my mind that may be a consequence of inbuilt crash-worthiness....

Sorry.... I only read the first few posts quoting the Money and WSJ articles that stated that the suicide doors were "a-go". Perhaps Ford came to the same conclusion as me, OR they realized that a vehicle that holds 5 people behind the driver with no doors that can open independent of the front doors is an overall bad idea.

Again... good luck Ford! I'll be waiting to check one of these out!

-Ovaltine

oh man such a cheap interior!!!! Ford has no idea how to make a nice interior ... It looks like a Focus :D

Fairlane%20Interior.png

Igor

I've to agree, looks decent and would be a nice, silent public apology from Ford after the Edge/Fusion disasters.

Edited by pcsario

Sorry.... I only read the first few posts quoting the Money and WSJ articles that stated that the suicide doors were "a-go". Perhaps Ford came to the same conclusion as me, OR they realized that a vehicle that holds 5 people behind the driver with no doors that can open independent of the front doors is an overall bad idea.

Again... good luck Ford! I'll be waiting to check one of these out!

-Ovaltine

Suicide doors can be made to open independent of the front.

Fairlane%20Interior.png

Igor

I get a kick out of the look on the dude's face as he's looking over at the woman.

He's got a look on his face that suggests that he's thinking something to the effect of:

"Hey my *hot* little maven of marketing...... I'd sure like to get you in the back of this thing and see just HOW flexible those seating arrangements really are!"

B)

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

I Seriously doubt that you'll get one in the low 20K range. I'd assume that the pricing will start north at what the Edge is starting at and top out at below 40K