Anything new from SVT for 2008?

AustinSVT

There is no more SVT at Ford, there's Shelby and he does Mustangs...

SVT is still alive and well, just not really in the same form as before. Pop the hood on a GT500, what does it say on the valve covers? "Powered by SVT". Ditto the Ford GT. GT500 still has SVT center caps on the wheels too. :)

SVT's name shall be changed to SMT (Special Mustang Team).

Haha...may as well at this point. I really don't want to buy another Mustang, as I'm still very pleased with my Cobra, but I don't really want to buy a plebian ordinary Ford either. SVT needs to get its hands dirty on some other models again to really be taken seriously again.

SVT is still alive and well, just not really in the same form as before. Pop the hood on a GT500, what does it say on the valve covers? "Powered by SVT". Ditto the Ford GT. GT500 still has SVT center caps on the wheels too. :)

Yea but that was all developed years ago, it's all Shelby now, which means Mustangs only, no other SVT vehicles, or any performance vehicles for that matter. Ford has set their sights on other things, performance is dead unless you want a Mustang. I already have a Mustang, so I'd like a hi-po Focus or Fusion, the only people offering anything of the sort is the competition...

Yea but that was all developed years ago, it's all Shelby now, which means Mustangs only, no other SVT vehicles, or any performance vehicles for that matter. Ford has set their sights on other things, performance is dead unless you want a Mustang. I already have a Mustang, so I'd like a hi-po Focus or Fusion, the only people offering anything of the sort is the competition...

I wouldn't say it's dead at all. Ford just has no current products besides the Mustang which would really accept an SVT or performance variant very well. There's word that the Twin Force 3.5 will find its way into the Taurus, which should bode well for a new SVT model or revived SHO, but that's the exception.

Many of the other models are basically in a holding pattern until their replacements come. The Focus is going to see no investment until C2. Ditto the Fusion until it moves to EUCD2 in its next generation. The F-150 is also not going to see much development until the "Boss" engines go into full swing. That really only leaves the SUV's left, which there isn't much of a market for.

I wouldn't say it's dead at all. Ford just has no current products besides the Mustang which would really accept an SVT or performance variant very well. There's word that the Twin Force 3.5 will find its way into the Taurus, which should bode well for a new SVT model or revived SHO, but that's the exception.

That's not quite true, Ford already had an SVT Focus based on the current platform. They just chose to discontinue it. All those parts still exist and have all the R&D done on them. They could easily make a SVT Focus they just choose not to.

That's not quite true, Ford already had an SVT Focus based on the current platform. They just chose to discontinue it. All those parts still exist and have all the R&D done on them. They could easily make a SVT Focus they just choose not to.

They chose not to because the R&D done for the previous SVT Focus resulted in a completely unreliable uncompetitive piece of crap. If there's going to be a new SVT Focus, it's going to have to trump the old one by leaps and bounds to be taken seriously, and with it still using C170 for another few years, it would be a waste of time to bother right now.

Unreliable? How? I have a friend who has an 03 and has never had an issue with it. And Loves it.

I'm just going by the owners I've talked to. There are a few here on BON. None of them seem particularly happy with them.

In either case, introducing a C170 Focus with the same stuff as the first SVT Focus would flop, just like the first one did, or probably worse.

They chose not to because the R&D done for the previous SVT Focus resulted in a completely unreliable uncompetitive piece of crap.

Wrong on more than one account. The reliability was only in question on the '02, but most problems fixed after that. The production ended because the focus was pulled out of Mexico to make room for the Fusion. Mexico is where all SVT's had been made.

Wrong on more than one account. The reliability was only in question on the '02, but most problems fixed after that. The production ended because the focus was pulled out of Mexico to make room for the Fusion. Mexico is where all SVT's had been made.

That's certainly a good excuse on Ford's part, but there's absolutely nothing that was preventing them from building the SVT at Wayne Assembly aside from Ford no longer wanting to bother.

That's certainly a good excuse on Ford's part, but there's absolutely nothing that was preventing them from building the SVT at Wayne Assembly aside from Ford no longer wanting to bother.

I'd take a Ford built by the worst Mexican in Hermosillo versus the best unionist in Wayne any day.

The SVT Focus was very competitive btw, it won nearly every major car comparo during its time.

I'd take a Ford built by the worst Mexican in Hermosillo versus the best unionist in Wayne any day.

The SVT Focus was very competitive btw, it won nearly every major car comparo during its time.

Compared to what though? The Civic Si? Come on, the bar has been raised considerably since then with vehicles like the Mazdaspeed3, STi, and Lancer Evo.

So far silence from Ford at NY.

The big announcement was the KR, not some new SVT vehicle when there is no such thing as SVT anymore..

*SVT* still said there's an announcement coming about a BOF vehicle, so it's not the GT500KR. I don't think they were specific about it being announced at NYIAS though.

Grrr. :banghead: