engine problem with 03 cobra

SVT Blues

My stepson owns an 03 Cobra with 38000 miles. The other day his engine light came on...steady, not flashing. He

took the car to a dealer who has taken the engine apart and has said that he has a broken piston ring in cyl. 6 and

that he needs a new engine! They claim that to otherwise fix that cylinder would cost even more that a new engine at

$8000. The car is well-maintained and even for a Cobra he doesn't push it hard nor has he added anything to the

engine by way of modifications. None of this sounds reasonable in the least.

Does anyone have any experience here or an informed comment? Does anyone feel that Ford should step up here

and who he should contact to try and get that to happen?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Is he the original owner? If he can showthat the car

has been serviced properly Iwould think that that ford would stand behind there product.

In 2000 I had a 97 t-bird with a 4.6 that I had bought used. The car had 46,000 miles on it when the engine went bad.

Ihad had the car about 6 months. Ford replaced the engine for free even though it was out of warranty.

good luck

My stepson owns an 03 Cobra with 38000 miles. The other day his engine light came on...steady, not flashing. He

took the car to a dealer who has taken the engine apart and has said that he has a broken piston ring in cyl. 6 and

that he needs a new engine! They claim that to otherwise fix that cylinder would cost even more that a new engine at

$8000. The car is well-maintained and even for a Cobra he doesn't push it hard nor has he added anything to the

engine by way of modifications. None of this sounds reasonable in the least.

Does anyone have any experience here or an informed comment? Does anyone feel that Ford should step up here

and who he should contact to try and get that to happen?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Redbone is right. Do a compression check, you can buy one at sears cheap. Check all cylinders by cranking over a few times. Don't forget to unplug the coils. It should hold pressure, if it steadilly drops off it's bad.Isn't that a premium fuel motor? 91+ octane. If he runs 89 or 87 octane you will get detonation which will break the rings over time, something to think about. Depending on how bad the cylinder is scored you may be able to re-ring it. Sounds like they may be taking you for a ride at $8k. You will have to remove the head to push piston out because the bore is smaller at the bottom, it's a big job, if it were me and it is a broken ring, I would re-ring all eight so as not to have to do it more than once. Since it's a Cobra (high performance) I doubt Ford is liable, warranty is up and car is 14 years old. My Dad has an 89 GT convertable with 42k, needs a water pump, NOT COVERED,Good luck....Need anymore help post it...

Edited by kalu

• 3 months later...
Make sure that it's not just a blown head gasket.
These arent 5.0 blocks. They rarely blow head gaskets. I melted a few pistons and even one of my heads and the head gasket held strong. These engines have pretty tight tolerances and not the best engine cooling. Couple that with a partially clogged injector or something to give you a lean cylinder and its all over but the crying.

You can get a bullet proof shortblock for a few grand, a hell of a lot cheaper and stronger than a replacement engine form ford.