2007 Tundra - 5.7L Camshaft Failures; Tundra may be recalled

range

Toyota chases Tundra camshaft failures

Mark Rechtin

Automotive News

May 28, 2007 - 1:00 am

LOS ANGELES -- A batch of camshaft failures in 5.7-liter V-8 engines has dinged the launch of the Toyota Tundra pickup.

Camshafts in 20 engines have snapped, says Toyota spokesman Mike Michels.

...........Toyota rushed the 5.7-liter engine into production in time for the Tundra's February launch. The 5.7-liter initially was scheduled to arrive this summer. But Toyota dealers and product planners told the manufacturing arm that the Tundra needed the big V-8 at launch because the 4.7-liter V-8 would not make a strong enough statement. READ MORE

ADDED 30 May 2007 - Tunda may be recalled

Toyota Motor Corp. faces a costly setback in the biggest U.S. vehicle launch in its history after owners of its new Tundra pickup reported engine failures.

The Japanese automaker may recall Tundras equipped with 5.7-liter V-8s to replace the engines, a company spokesman said Wednesday.

The trouble with the Tundra's 5.7-liter engines, the most powerful engine available on the new pickup, is the latest in a series of recalls and problems that have dented Toyota's reputation. READ MORE.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sad part is that this will fly right by Consumer Reports and other buyers references. They will stay "solid performer", "reliable", "It's a Toyota" status :hysterical:

almost forgot to add....

quagmire.jpg

Edited by Hydro

i'm not a subscriber, so i can't read the full article.

but, it looks like it's a lot harder to design a class leading pickup than toyota thinks. it's not just about putting in bigger engines, bigger brakes, and stiffer springs.

Edited by tim kakouris

The media is already defending Toyota:

The lead sentence of a story on Autoblog......."Out of a run of 30,000 5.7-liter V8 engines, Toyota has had reports of 20 camshafts snapping -- a minuscule number in light of the total (0.06 percent, as a matter of fact). "

"Yet with the Tundra being a new truck with a new engine in a new market for Toyota, there are going to be teething problems, as we've seen"

No mention that the defective 5.7L engine in question was "rushed" to market earlier than planned.

What do you expect? It is Autoblog. That site have the worst writing and writers. The mistakes they make (like not being able to tell the difference between a Jag XJ & S-Type or a Ferrari from Lambo) stop me from taking them seriously. Although they are a major automotive news source now, I have always wondered why someone else hasn't taken the idea of linking other people's stories and adding a paragraph of better writing to a new site.

The lead sentence of a story on Autoblog......."Out of a run of 30,000 5.7-liter V8 engines, Toyota has had reports of 20 camshafts snapping -- a minuscule number in light of the total (0.06 percent, as a matter of fact). "

"Yet with the Tundra being a new truck with a new engine in a new market for Toyota, there are going to be teething problems, as we've seen"

No mention that the defective 5.7L engine in question was "rushed" to market earlier than planned.

what?!?!?! Toyota has been building shit trucks for a while now

Edited by Ford-150

what?!?!?! Toyota has been building shit trucks for a while now

classic double standards...Ford has 6 or so Flame throwers which are a flash fix..the world has come to an end....Toyota beaks 20 camshafts which I am guessing requires a full engine teardown and the press gives a little sympathy.....conspiracy theorists unite!

classic double standards...Ford has 6 or so Flame throwers which are a flash fix..the world has come to an end....Toyota beaks 20 camshafts which I am guessing requires a full engine teardown and the press gives a little sympathy.....conspiracy theorists unite!

maybe they should show the internals of the engine on youtube :hysterical:

maybe they should show the internals of the engine on youtube :hysterical:

could be wrong but typical Jap engines are of the no fault design...i am TOTALLY speculating the internal damge may be pretty excessive....ESPECIALLY if it caused a belt failure as well...PLUS all that SOFT aluminum everywhere....engine replacemants perhaps?

I understand the hatred for Toyota but honestly -- 20 camshaft failures isn't a blip on the radar unless you're REALLY looking for it. I suspect this will have no effect on Toyota mainly for this reason, not because the mainstream media hates Ford & GM.

could be wrong but typical Jap engines are of the no fault design...i am TOTALLY speculating the internal damge may be pretty excessive....ESPECIALLY if it caused a belt failure as well...PLUS all that SOFT aluminum everywhere....engine replacemants perhaps?

oh they will have to replace it, or rebuild it(which i doubt), there is no way they would just replace the camshaft when fragments could have started a microscopic crack in any of the other engine components

I understand the hatred for Toyota but honestly -- 20 camshaft failures isn't a blip on the radar unless you're REALLY looking for it. I suspect this will have no effect on Toyota mainly for this reason, not because the mainstream media hates Ford & GM.

and neither was the flame thrower on the SD, but i know people that don't know shit about trucks that know about the flame thrower(most of them think it is badass), why...because the media exploded over it, but toyota, well they like them better than ford

I don't hate em at all, but how the hell they and Honda seem to sweep stuff under the carpet is beyond me...that and their new mis-leading TV adds annoy the crap outa me....I relly think it would be great if the domestics attecked them head on and held them accountable..but NO...gentlemens agreements are the rule....

Edited by Deanh

I don't hate em at all, but how the hell they and Honda seem to sweep stuff under the carpet is beyond me...that and their new mis-leading TV adds annoy the crap outa me....I relly think it would be great if the domestics attecked them head on and held them accountable..but NO...gentlemens agreements are the rule....

local dealer here had a SD that did the flame job.. they did the flash.. no more flames.. 10 min fix.

Doesn't the 5.7 using a timing CHAIN? As for the aluminum....most of the damage caused by a cam failure in any overhead cam engine would be limited mostly to the heads. What engine built today DOESN'T have aluminum heads? Either way, it's going to be a mess, but it wouldn't be any worse than a cam failure in any Ford engine.

Edited by NickF1011

But the rub is that they've only found 20 so far. The article quotes Toyota as saying they don't know yet how many of the 30,000 engines produced have this problem.

Points from article "Camshafts in 20 engines have snapped, says Toyota spokesman Mike Michels. The outside camshaft supplier, which Toyota declined to identify, has traced the problem to "a metallurgical defect in the casting, a flaw in the metal which they have corrected," he says.

To date, Toyota has built 30,000 of the engines, and the company is determining how many might be affected. Michels says that it was "an early batch," and that "Toyota is confident in the production from that point on."

Toyota likely will not test each camshaft to see if it is prone to failure. Rather, customers whose camshafts fail will have their entire engines replaced."

So Toyota knows the fault, Supplier to Toyota corrected the fault, Toyota knows how many engines have been built to date, but Toyota states they "likely will not test each camshaft to see if it is prone to failure."

If they corrected said fault, they must know which engines, from the production date that have the correction made. Yes/No?

Would a recall be in order in this situation, or at least a TSB, with letters to the owners of this vehicle equipped with the 5.7l V8.(early build batch of course)

Or just let the new owners stress out with the knowledge that my engine might break down.

Doesn't the 5.7 using a timing CHAIN? As for the aluminum....most of the damage caused by a cam failure in any overhead cam engine would be limited mostly to the heads. What engine built today DOESN'T have aluminum heads? Either way, it's going to be a mess, but it wouldn't be any worse than a cam failure in any Ford engine.

probably right...but I thought the Toyata has a belt...which requires changing around 60 k....hence they are a little quieter and smoother as the Press likes em....screw durability.....

Edited by Deanh

Hmmmm....here is how USA Today describes engine failures in the new 2007 Tundra:

DETROIT (Reuters) — A glitch in Toyota Motor's Tundra pickup has caused 20 engine failures and forced it to track down other trucks at risk for the problem, the Japanese automaker said Tuesday.

USA Today