2007 Tundra - 5.7L Camshaft Failures; Tundra may be recalled

range

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well their literature is wrong...the 5.7 does have a chain. Havent seen any problems with the new Tundras yet but its too early yet...and as far as the camshafts go everyone has problems. Im sure YOU GUYS will tell everyone how evil Toyota is and how theyre fucking all the domestics over. Ford never made a bad engine did they? Its funny how the sludge problem is Toyotas fault, whos to blame for the plug-ejecting Tritons, the 3.8s that needed head gaskets at every oil change? How about the Rangers and Explorers that cracked so many cylinder heads that aftermarket companys started casting them? Almighty Ford never messes up anything do they? :stirpot:

Interesting quotes from the Toyota spokesman:

"we think the problem is solved," Toyota spokesman John McCandless said.

"We're still trying to get our arms around how many could have been affected," he said.

Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

well their literature is wrong...the 5.7 does have a chain.

Their ads in magazines show a belt. How do you know it's a chain? I'm not saying you are wrong. There just seems to be conflicting information and I would like to know whether it's a belt or a chain. Thanks.

well their literature is wrong...the 5.7 does have a chain. Havent seen any problems with the new Tundras yet but its too early yet...and as far as the camshafts go everyone has problems. Im sure YOU GUYS will tell everyone how evil Toyota is and how theyre fucking all the domestics over. Ford never made a bad engine did they? Its funny how the sludge problem is Toyotas fault, whos to blame for the plug-ejecting Tritons, the 3.8s that needed head gaskets at every oil change? How about the Rangers and Explorers that cracked so many cylinder heads that aftermarket companys started casting them? Almighty Ford never messes up anything do they? :stirpot:
:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Doesn't the 5.7 using a timing CHAIN? As for the aluminum....most of the damage caused by a cam failure in any overhead cam engine would be limited mostly to the heads. What engine built today DOESN'T have aluminum heads? Either way, it's going to be a mess, but it wouldn't be any worse than a cam failure in any Ford engine.

If the cam (or half of the cam) stopped rotating and the crank didnt also immediately stop there is a high probability that the piston would hit the opened valves. this could mean bent rods, damaged pistons/valves, damaged heads, broken crank etc. etc. A buddy of min just lunched is 383 chevy..he floated a valve and the piston hit it...this caused a couple of rods to bend and the cam broke in two. some of the lifters came out in pieces.

I work for a supplier and i can tell you that any field failure is a HUGE deal particularly when it involves something as serious as the engine or a safety item. right now toyota is weighing the risks with the supplier and no doubt considering recalling all the trucks and swapping out cams.

20 is statistically significant..with six sigma and the myriad of other quality systems and checks..20 failures (so far) is frightening to anyone trying to manage a stable process.

Ford should pounce on this opportunity.

Edited by kpc655

:hysterical:

How about the head-gasket popping Toyota 3.0L & 3.4L V6s, how about those garbage Camry transmissions, how about those wonderful Toyota ball joints that disintegrate and lead to total steering loss, how about that engine sludge problem, how about the old Toyota 4-banger that ate timing chain cassettes, how about those snapped Toyota 5.7L cams, how about the Tundra's 4-star crash rating?

Please, go kiss Toyota's ass somewhere else because you add nothing to this board. :finger:

If the cam (or half of the cam) stopped rotating and the crank didnt also immediately stop there is a high probability that the piston would hit the opened valves. this could mean bent rods, damaged pistons/valves, damaged heads, broken crank etc. etc. A buddy of min just lunched is 383 chevy..he floated a valve and the piston hit it...this caused a couple of rods to bend and the cam broke in two. some of the lifters came out in pieces.

I don't know if the 5.7 is an interference engine or not, but assuming it's not, if the cam broke in the middle, the engine would still run, tho very rough. Like dropping 2 cylinders. There would be metal to metal contact at the point of the break which would cause at least SOME fine metal particles to circulate throughout the engine, if it wasn't shut down. If it was an interference engine, then definitly things would be kissing each other in the motor. Either way, this doesn't seem like they could just get away with a new cam change. It's new motor time. As Ralph Cramden used to say, " How sweet it is."

youre missing tho point oh angry one....this would be CNN material if it was ford.....Toyata isn't evil at all, but their cleanup squad does a dandy job....payoffs? :stirpot:

Tommy....everthing says belt...do you actually work on them?.......?The 5.7 uses a timing belt - Page 3 - Tundra Solutions Forums...............???????????????????????????? And this is a forum trying to justify the use of a belt!!!!!!!!!!

Their ads in magazines show a belt. How do you know it's a chain? I'm not saying you are wrong. There just seems to be conflicting information and I would like to know whether it's a belt or a chain. Thanks.

I saw the cutaway of the 5.7 here in Denver at the National Western Stock Show. It's a chain. I even commented to the guy that it was about time the import brands used chains instead of belts.

I saw the cutaway of the 5.7 here in Denver at the National Western Stock Show. It's a chain. I even commented to the guy that it was about time the import brands used chains instead of belts.

Weird....all i can pull up is scripture indicating belts.....maybe they are trying to appeal to both sides of the fence...ba$tards....

As has already been stated, the Tundra 5.7 uses timing chains. I was able to find some cutaway pics on the internet. With the valve covers off the 5.7s look remarkably similar to a 4V Mod motor - it even uses roller followers with hydraulic lifters/adjusters. I figured Toyota would have used DAMBs on their new 5.7L.

16867d1171754804-the-5-7-uses-timing-belt-tundra57lengine.jpg

Edited by White99GT

I understand the hatred for Toyota but honestly -- 20 camshaft failures isn't a blip on the radar unless you're REALLY looking for it.

Well, unless you're standing there on the Toyota lot thinking about buying the Tundra and "poof" the little devil appears on your shoulder and says "Don't worry about that camshaft thing boy, you'll be fine." Then you say . . . :speedie:

Well, unless you're standing there on the Toyota lot thinking about buying the Tundra and "poof" the little devil appears on your shoulder and says "Don't worry about that camshaft thing boy, you'll be fine." Then you say . . . :speedie:

Considering the vehicle has only been on sale for several months and most of the vehicles have 5K miles if that, it is actually quite significant.

Considering the vehicle has only been on sale for several months and most of the vehicles have 5K miles if that, it is actually quite significant.

Yeah that's pretty much the point I was making only I thought it was so obvious that it didn't need to be stated so I made a little joke instead to sort of accentuate the point.

To be fair, it was the SUPPLIER, not Toyota that has the problem...

I'm not a Toyota CAR lover, rather I love the Toyota Production System...

Ahhhh engineering...

To be fair, when its a SUPPLIER problem with Ford, its still the blue oval that gets dragged through the mud.

I really love how this article was buried on the last page of the business section.

"Toyota fixes faulty engines on Tundras

Toyota Motor Corp ., Japan's largest automaker, is replacing faulty engines on a "small number" of 2007 Tundra large pickups, as it tries to increase U.S. sales of the revamped truck as much as 60 percent this year. The 5.7-liter V-8 engines have been replaced on about 20 of the pickups, Bill Kwong, a Torrance, California-based spokesman for Toyota, said Tuesday. Camshafts used in the engines were improperly processed by a supplier and can snap, causing the engine to fail, he said. Kwong declined to identify the supplier. "We've had 20 cases of engines failing because of the camshaft out of the 30,000 sold since February, so it's a small number," Kwong said in an interview. The company hasn't determined whether a recall is necessary, he said. The redesigned Tundra, built in a new plant in San Antonio, is larger and more powerful than its predecessor, stepping up competition with models such as Ford Motor Co.'s F-Series and General Motors Corp.'s Chevrolet Silverado. Tundra U.S. sales rose 6.7 percent to 43,386 this year through April, as F-Series sales fell 14 percent to 228,343 and Silverado's declined less than 1 percent to 202,151."

I really like how the local press makes it sound like its no big deal and that the tundra is "competition" to Ford and GM. :headscratch:

OK Ok...the moron comment was stupid I admit that and I apologize. But Im just trying to point out that EVERY automaker has these problems. I can only go by what I see and fix. They all have engine and trans problems, Ball joint issues, electrical problems, etc. However having worked at both I can say that Toyota is better to work for than Ford. Ford has dug such a big hole for temselves that I dont know if they will get out of it. Ive done as many engines and trannies at Toyota as I did at Ford or Chrysler. Would you like to hear me say Toyotas are shitboxes? OK fine, they suck. But Toyota is making money, Im making twice as much as I did at Ford or DCX, and Ford is cutting back and laying off people. Like they say numbers dont lie. I dont give a good goddamn how Toyota does it as long as Im making good pay. Im only in it for the money.