2007 Tundra - 5.7L Camshaft Failures; Tundra may be recalled

range

To be fair, it was the SUPPLIER, not Toyota that has the problem...

I'm not a Toyota CAR lover, rather I love the Toyota Production System...

Ahhhh engineering...

TO BE FAIR, you have to question the Toyota Production System that allowed the rushing of the 5.7L engine program.

The program was brought forward at the last minute by more than 6 months!

Had Toyota not bowed to pressure by dealers to have the 5.7L at launch, this problem may not have happened.

Clearly this is a FAILURE on Toyota's part for rushing an engine program and delivering a defective product to consumers.

Funny how none of the articles except for Automotive News have mentioned Toyota rushing the 5.7L to market more than half a year early.

==================

Automotive News:

"Toyota rushed the 5.7-liter engine into production in time for the Tundra's February launch. The 5.7-liter initially was scheduled to arrive this summer. But Toyota dealers and product planners told the manufacturing arm that the Tundra needed the big V-8 at launch because the 4.7-liter V-8 would not make a strong enough statement."

Edited by range

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see if this is 20, or 200, or 2000 or 20000

I can guarantee that there is no such thing as a full production run of 20 camshafts. So, inevitably thre are more out there, just how many is the question.

They sure do a hell of job with damage control. Seems like they have an agreement with the news to be very gentle. If that were Ford or GM it would be the end of the world! How long can you be #1 and have this kind of treatment from the press?

I dont give a good goddamn how Toyota does it as long as Im making good pay. Im only in it for the money.

...And that is what is wrong with America today....no loyalty, just give me $$$. I want more money too, but I draw the line somewhere. I am glad that you finally saw the light Tom and realize that Toyotas are not a gift from the gods...but instead are made by humans, and designed by humans, and therefore are fixed by humans when they get broken by humans. That supplier no doubt has some 'splainin to do to Mother Toyota.

It also highlights why "outsourcing" is such a bad concept. I worry about Fords continued use of outsourcing with the recent loss of Windsor and other casting plants.

"Toyota Motor Corp ., Japan's largest automaker, is replacing faulty engines on a "small number" of 2007 Tundra large pickups, as it tries to increase U.S. sales of the revamped truck as much as 60 percent this year."

60% huh?

"Tundra U.S. sales rose 6.7 percent to 43,386 this year through April"

Looks like they have a ways to go. :hysterical:

Toyota Tundra may be recalled

"The Japanese automaker may recall Tundras equipped with 5.7-liter V-8s to replace the engines, a company spokesman said Wednesday."

"Company spokesman Bill Kwong said Toyota realized in February that there was a problem with the camshafts delivered by a supplier for the 5.7-liter engine, and the automaker ordered the necessary changes to production."

Toyota realized in FEBRUARY they had a problem.....yet kept selling these defective trucks!!!

Edited by range

well their literature is wrong...the 5.7 does have a chain. Havent seen any problems with the new Tundras yet but its too early yet...and as far as the camshafts go everyone has problems. Im sure YOU GUYS will tell everyone how evil Toyota is and how theyre fucking all the domestics over. Ford never made a bad engine did they? Its funny how the sludge problem is Toyotas fault, whos to blame for the plug-ejecting Tritons, the 3.8s that needed head gaskets at every oil change? How about the Rangers and Explorers that cracked so many cylinder heads that aftermarket companys started casting them? Almighty Ford never messes up anything do they? :stirpot:

The 3.8Ls didn't need new head gaskets every oil change (you hyperbolic loon), and Ford DID recall that engine.

Will Toyota recall the 5.7L? We'll see. Chances are they issue a service bulletin and pay the liberal press off by giving them free Prius Hybrids or some other green PR stunt. :hysterical:

Go back under your bridge.

It will be interesting to see if this is 20, or 200, or 2000 or 20000

I can guarantee that there is no such thing as a full production run of 20 camshafts. So, inevitably thre are more out there, just how many is the question.

They sure do a hell of job with damage control. Seems like they have an agreement with the news to be very gentle. If that were Ford or GM it would be the end of the world! How long can you be #1 and have this kind of treatment from the press?

As long as you keep giving them Prius Hybrids to drive for free while you fix your problem. Liberal greenies at the newpapers will take bribes as long as they're green !

You know what will truly be funny is when you go onto the Detroit News Auto Forum. You'll have these Toyota loving assholes on there that think this issue isn't a serious problem... LIVING IN DENIAL as they usually do. Time to us to put them in their place for good! :finger::hysterical: :happy feet:

Edited by Bored of Pisteon

To be fair, it was the SUPPLIER, not Toyota that has the problem...

I'm not a Toyota CAR lover, rather I love the Toyota Production System...

Ahhhh engineering...

Navistar was the supplier for the 6.0 as well......so Ford has ZERo responsibilty then....whew I can tell all those customers to complain to the Navistar guys....

Seems Rayban didn't grt to that batch of faulty sunglasses either...seems a few on this thread bought some with the mirrors ON THE INSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i acutally meant about somebody saying its a supplier issue, not toyotas. sorry..

i acutally meant about somebody saying its a supplier issue, not toyotas. sorry..

but M....does it really matter?...I mean Ford was held accountable...and if the Frwench transmission in product X goes out....Ford again is held accountable...ultimately it IS their product regardless.....and THEY do choose the supplier...so they SHOULD be held to court! My major contention is the superiority of Toyotas damage control team....this will fly under the radar......Fords team would be mass faxing to the media.....

DONT FIX IT!!!!!

Pull up beside a Tundra and melt the tires off first, then fix it!!

:happy feet: :hysterical: :happy feet: :hysterical:

buddy in Seattle just bought a Tundra 5.7...so I have been razzing him...apparently his engine was ticking this morning...guess what...he doesn't care...HE LEASED IT! as far as he is concerned he's handing it back potential bad camshaft and all.....course if it takes a $hit and he is car less his attitude may change.....

TO BE FAIR, you have to question the Toyota Production System that allowed the rushing of the 5.7L engine program.

The program was brought forward at the last minute by more than 6 months!

Had Toyota not bowed to pressure by dealers to have the 5.7L at launch, this problem may not have happened.

Clearly this is a FAILURE on Toyota's part for rushing an engine program and delivering a defective product to consumers.

Funny how none of the articles except for Automotive News have mentioned Toyota rushing the 5.7L to market more than half a year early.

Your 3rd sentence says "...this problem may not have happened" then you go on to say that "Clearly this is a FAILURE... for rushing an engine" in the very next sentence. The truth is that with the information that we have now -- we have no idea if the rush of the 5.7L to market had anything to do with these failures. I suspect if it was a truly due to rushing the engine to market, the failure would be a more severe engineering-related defect and not limited (thus far) to 20 shoddily-cast camshafts.

And honestly fellas... comparing these 20 (so far) camshaft failures to the myriad 6.0L PSD problems or the Explorer/Firestone problems... that's reaching just a wee bit, no?

Edited by RAdams

Your 3rd sentence says "...this problem may not have happened" then you go on to say that "Clearly this is a FAILURE... for rushing an engine" in the very next sentence. The truth is that with the information that we have now -- we have no idea if the rush of the 5.7L to market had anything to do with these failures. I suspect if it was a truly due to rushing the engine to market, the failure would be a more severe engineering-related defect and not limited (thus far) to 20 shoddily-cast camshafts.

And honestly fellas... comparing these 20 (so far) camshaft failures to the myriad 6.0L PSD problems or the Explorer/Firestone problems... that's reaching just a wee bit, no?

guarantee it's a whole lot more than 20....but we will probably never know.....and yes...comparing the 6.0 is pushing it, but i wasn't comparing , just using it as a case study in where the blame lies/ goes to...the outsourced supplier or the Deep pocketed ones.....

Regarding the "only 20" claim....one only needs to go back to the Toyota Sludge debacle and see what Toyota claimed then, vs. what was actually proven in a court of law.

Back then Toyota was claiming the sludge "only" affected a small number of vehicles. The recent class action victory for the sludge owners, and the discovery process showed the problem was a lot more widespread than Toyota claimed.

To quote a certain notorious BOF member:

"bubububu it's only 20 camshaft failures!"

:stirpot:

Regarding the "only 20" claim....one only needs to go back to the Toyota Sludge debacle and see what Toyota claimed then, vs. what was actually proven in a court of law.

Back then Toyota was claiming the sludge "only" affected a small number of vehicles. The recent class action victory for the sludge owners, and the discovery process showed the problem was a lot more widespread than Toyota claimed.

Personally I hope it becomes HUGE! tired of hearing perceived perfection....my neighbours Sienna is blowing black sme right now...110,000 miles ....probably needs new valve seals or whatever...hes selling it, wants a quick fix it idea....I started laughing about how dependable they were...he got defensive....LOL!