Bring Back The Thunderbird (Mustang derived)

I hear ya rmc523,

But lets say by 2010 the economy is no longer an issue. Lets say by 2010 the Stock Market is ~12k-15k. Lets say a lotta baby boomers are deciding to retire and want a quaint little celebratory car 'just for them'.

So by 2010, 2011 we have the potential for many sales of a smaller, more luxurious convertible (than a Mustang). The Volvo is nice but it isn't American enough and we probably won't have the Focus version of it either.

These retiring baby boomers and people who are financially stable would have to go elsewhere for a fun, luxurious 2-seater.

If Ford plans on capturing any of these sales, they need to have an offering ready to go but they will also need to have a 'street cred' reputation of reliability & safety. It will also have to take into account American's fatter butts, because the Mazda is just too small!

I think they are well on the way to re-establish themselves as a safe, reliable company.

So that means by 2011 they will need to have a decent roadster ready to go. Which means they should not try to sell one now but they should definitely try to co-engineer it along with a related, RWD vehicle (if possible).

So, to me, it makes sense for Ford to not sell a T-Bird today, but have a monster one ready in 3-4 years.

Edit: G*d Da*m that Maserati looks good!

You do bring up a good point....they do need to think ahead and have a model (or at least some sort of concept) ready for some point in the near future. I think for the next couple of years, though, you won't see much from Ford on the sports car front (aside from Mustang), even in the way of concepts, as Mulally said he doesn't like concepts that have no chance of being produced. Now maybe they'll have something in the mix for your 2010-2011 timeframe, but I personally am thinking they won't.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'd like to see Ford bring out another T-Bird convertible, perhaps it would be better if it was marketed as an upscale Lincoln. I loved the last T-Bird and get the itch every now and then to pick up a low mileage 2005, which are going for the low $20K range.

While I'd like to see Ford bring out another T-Bird convertible, perhaps it would be better if it was marketed as an upscale Lincoln. I loved the last T-Bird and get the itch every now and then to pick up a low mileage 2005, which are going for the low $20K range.

I absolutely loved how the Mark X looked.

• 5 weeks later...