Next Ranger

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would buy one.

I'm not sure what to replace my 2002 with. The F-150 is a little big for my tastes and the 2007 sport track has too small of a bed. I have owned a '94, '98 and a 2002. I really don't feel like buying a fourth unless there was a ground up redesign. I would like to see one based on the Explorer, like the 2007 sport track, but with extended cab and a 6' bed.

Edited by SnowGoAK

What are you people whining about? It's a PICKUP TRUCK. That fixes some very important lines that can be used to differentiate sedans. As trucks go, there is practically no resemblance between the Frontier and the PhotoShop, and the resemblance to the Tacoma, while it's there, is not exceptional.

If you're scared to do anything that resembles something a competitor has done, you'll never do anything. Straight beltline only goes so far, and you can't exactly kick the beltline DOWN at the back...

Suppose I put the Super Duty kink in the beltline? Standing on the shoulders of giants here, I'll admit, but...

And to show you how critical these lines become, I tried taking out the beltline kickup, but it made the overall too Mitsubishi-Raider for my taste. Despite the fact that some competitors have used a kickup, I think this truck looks better with it than without it.

post-6263-1139065287_thumb.jpg

rtracvtacoma5vp.jpg

r2.jpg

Hmm...some things tat could make it more Ranger like..modify the bumpers...or lack there of. Add a Rear Bumper, and transform the front into one, protruding out slightly, like the picture of my Ranger when I brought it home. I'd hate to try to make a prerunner bumper for that...eek...cutting!

5 High-Res Images of my Truck(When I got it, got some KC lights now!)

Edited by Larson

Face it...most trucks 'kinda' look the same...Most of them anyway.

I like the one without the rails on the bed/no lightbar...looks 'modern' would be a logical/proper/expected updating of the ranger...BUT-

picture this in your mind and think about it a bit...Fords got an F350/F250/F150/Ranger...plus a bunch of trucks that have names starting with 'ex'...does one seem out of place? is one WAY overdue for updating?

I really, really think the ranger name needs retired- it had a good run, but those days are over. They need something fresh- maybe a bit retro, and maybe with a 'truck' name...hmmmmm...ever hear of a F-100? I bet you did. I bet you though they were one of the coolest trucks Ford or anyone else ever built (think of a lowered 1956 fatfendered job with slight topchop, wheelwells stuffed...)

I wholeheartedly believe that if Ford would quit chasing imports and just modernize the 56 f100 look on the ranger chasis(as-is) it would sell on looks alone- that chassis is capable enough- its a friggin truck- long as its robust, it'll work. Add a inch or two to control arms/axles, or leave as-is and go an inch deeper on wheel faces (I love deeper dished wheels). If they did it right(like the mustang) it would be instantly recognizable from blocks away, yet not be a 'copy', and yet could NEVER be construed as a ptcruiser clone like the hhr...the 56 F100 was a defining vehicle for Ford and EVERYONE knows what it looked like. If they want to steal sales from the aging (and fugly to me) ptcruiser, put a 'paneltruck' version out with the black tinted minivan windows(it would be a natural progression to the pickup- and should carry an 'ex---' name). It would be the end of the ptcruiser.

to those that are tired of me rambling about this one more time, I'm sorry- but I'm a ford fan, and just KNOW this thing would fly. If they built it in the states I'd be in line impatiently waiting months for it like was with my mustang gt. That is a pretty truck, the F100 name fits better than Ranger, and the PT is getting kinda old. PLEASE Ford, think about this little update to a tried and true chassis instead of sourcing from Thailand... although all things considered the little ranger photochops look pretty good, but alas will never be a classic... I was thinking the little 4trac concept looked pretty good, but then rethinking- wouldnt you rather buy a 'classic to be'? The F100 if done right would be another Mustang.

the problem I have with the F100 name, is the F, the F-Series trucks are ALL Full-Size, the Ranger is not, thus I do not think it should get the F designation. Giving it the F would tie it into the F-Series sales, which would be an unequal balance. I also believe Retro is not the way to go with a pickup, you could possibly through in some cues here and there, and should keep the general theme of your trucks alive, but to go full on retro with a pickup, I believe is wrong. You also need to appeal to those who use your trucks. When you take a look at Desert Racing, you see Rangers and Tacomas, and they shouldn't abandon these people at all. Thats why I noted the seperating of bumpers, as these people would have to do some serious cutting to get it like the current Rangers, were you can just take them off, and attach your new pre-runner bumper w/ skidplate. I wish they wouldn't retire the Ranger name, but then again, it's just a name, and I could live with it being called somethign else, I just don't believe it should be F100. Well, that's my rant...

Edited by Larson

5fro_gal_med12.jpg

rtracvtacoma5vp.jpg

hmmmmmmmmm

I meant the older Nissan. Just like like the older Nissan wheel lip that we are currently using on the '06 Ranger...

What are you people whining about? It's a PICKUP TRUCK. That fixes some very important lines that can be used to differentiate sedans. As trucks go, there is practically no resemblance between the Frontier and the PhotoShop, and the resemblance to the Tacoma, while it's there, is not exceptional.

If you're scared to do anything that resembles something a competitor has done, you'll never do anything. Straight beltline only goes so far, and you can't exactly kick the beltline DOWN at the back...

You are the only one I hear "whining". The rest of us are making statements...

the problem I have with the F100 name, is the F, the F-Series trucks are ALL Full-Size, the Ranger is not, thus I do not think it should get the F designation. Giving it the F would tie it into the F-Series sales, which would be an unequal balance. I also believe Retro is not the way to go with a pickup, you could possibly through in some cues here and there, and should keep the general theme of your trucks alive, but to go full on retro with a pickup, I believe is wrong. You also need to appeal to those who use your trucks. When you take a look at Desert Racing, you see Rangers and Tacomas, and they shouldn't abandon these people at all. Thats why I noted the seperating of bumpers, as these people would have to do some serious cutting to get it like the current Rangers, were you can just take them off, and attach your new pre-runner bumper w/ skidplate. I wish they wouldn't retire the Ranger name, but then again, it's just a name, and I could live with it being called somethign else, I just don't believe it should be F100. Well, that's my rant...

F-100 was already considered back when the Ranger replacement was supposed to grow to a midsize. There is a picture of it out there somewhere and it looked really nice. This was back before Nasser was canned. TCAP was supposed to get this truck described as an aluminum intensive unit. The drawings were similar to a midsize Superduty. With multiple configurations per platform, a retro niche truck could also be run as a limited version or as the demand would dictate. I like the idea...

I'm not against building a retro truck, I'm against replacing the Ranger with a Retro truck. And for the reasons I stated, I don't think the F100 name should be used, but like I also stated, it's a name, and if it were used, I'd still buy one.

how about 'optional clothing' for the ranger??? one other thing I'd love to see happen is not dumping new designs on us across the board...how many folks see a new model and say I liked the old one better...often in time they grow on us, but that lag *might* affect a few sales. I dont see why if chassis is standardized, new 'skins' could be optional for first year or so to test the waters.

I'd still love a fastback fairlane or early aussie falcon fastback looking body on the crown vic...sell as-is for the cops, and offer optional coachwork on a tried and true chassis. Much less costly than introducing a whole new model. if it takes off like the mustang, shift towards losing the old body(as long as new one compatible to fleet usage).

• 2 weeks later...

Why do you guys think Ford needs ot make the Ranger into a midsized truck? Please explain this to me because I've been looking at the compact truck segment's decline in detail for 4 yrs now. If one looks the fullsized truck sales along side compact trucks it becomes quite apparent the compact truck declined at the same time the larger segment surged. People moved from buying compact trucks to larger a couple years back... Quite simply the price of a well equiped compact is only a couple grand less than a fullsized, and considering the US appitie for larger being better people upgraded. Considering this, why would it be a good move to bring the Ranger closer to F150 when it's exactly that which is stealing its sales. In order to stabilize Ranger sales the Ford needs to not only bring it up to the level of its competition, but differnentiate it from the F150 more not less.

Anyway have you paid attention to the so called midsized upgardes done by Toyota, GM, and Nissan? The Tacoma is now 208in, the colorado is 207in, and the Frontier is 206in... I'd say closer ot the 204in Ranger than the 218in Dakota... And no where near the 228in F150. They are compacts even if the companies don't wnat to call them that... They simply leapfrogged the former class leading Ranger.

Edited by Kris Kolman

Why do you guys think Ford needs ot make the Ranger into a midsized truck? Please explain this to me because I've been looking at the compact truck segment's decline in detail for 4 yrs now. If one looks the fullsized truck sales along side compact trucks it becomes quite apparent the compact truck declined at the same time the larger segment surged. People moved from buying compact trucks to larger a couple years back... Quite simply the price of a well equiped compact is only a couple grand less than a fullsized, and considering the US appitie for larger being better people upgraded. Considering this, why would it be a good move to bring the Ranger closer to F150 when it's exactly that which is stealing its sales. In order to stabilize Ranger sales the Ford needs to not only bring it up to the level of its competition, but differnentiate it from the F150 more not less.

Anyway have you paid attention to the so called midsized upgardes done by Toyota, GM, and Nissan? The Tacoma is now 208in, the colorado is 207in, and the Frontier is 206in... I'd say closer ot the 204in Ranger than the 218in Dakota... And no where near the 228in F150. They are compacts even if the companies don't wnat to call them that... They simply leapfrogged the former class leading Ranger.

Well, I'm not against it becoming 'midsize', but I am not for it either, if anything, I think I lean more towards your side, keeping it small. But enough of this talk, lets see more photoshops!

• 2 weeks later...