I wonder what the Big 3 think about this?

Zora

The employee buys a very high percent of the cars and trucks built here....

If we get screwed out of are wages, etc... we will no longer be able to afford a new car,truck. If we get bumped down to $20...I'll never buy another.

Just wondering

If we get screwed out of are wages, etc... we will no longer be able to afford a new car,truck. If we get bumped down to $20...I'll never buy another.

Just wondering

I think you may be mistaken. Their was 80,000 of us before the buyouts and not all where in the market to buy! Ford sells 160,000 trucks alone in one quarter! The assertion that we are even close to the majority of their sales is ludicrous. Although I'm sure they will lose some volume, I'm sure that the savings would be more predominate! That's not saying that I will vote yes on big wage concessions, just that we dont buy as many Ford's as you suggest!

I think you may be mistaken. Their was 80,000 of us before the buyouts and not all where in the market to buy! Ford sells 160,000 trucks alone in one quarter! The assertion that we are even close to the majority of their sales is ludicrous. Although I'm sure they will lose some volume, I'm sure that the savings would be more predominate! That's not saying that I will vote yes on big wage concessions, just that we dont buy as many Ford's as you suggest!

i stand corrected.....Still not buying another if we get screwed. :reading:

i stand corrected.....Still not buying another if we get screwed. :reading:

Vote no to the screwing! Decide what cuts you will agree to before they offer a proposel and if it doesn't meet your criteria then vote no. Don't let other members decide for you by telling you that it will pass anyway!

Vote no to the screwing! Decide what cuts you will agree to before they offer a proposel and if it doesn't meet your criteria then vote no. Don't let other members decide for you by telling you that it will pass anyway!

UAW ‘07 Contract Negotiations: No Surrender!

By Robert Farago

January 19, 2007

uaw-gettlefinger-and-daimlerchrysler-dieter.jpgI may be the only American automotive journalist who thinks the United Auto Workers (UAW) won't make any significant concessions in their new contracts with The Big Two Point Five. Window dressing? Absolutely. I fully expect to read breathless accounts of breakthough announcements– and discover familiar pay postponements, paper shuffling and prevarication. Genuine, honest-to-God, we’ll reduce the amount of money we’re draining from your coffers concessions? Never. And then I read Sharon Terlep’s piece in the Detroit News– “UAW: Expect Sacrifice”– and changed my mind. For five minutes.

I’m not saying Terlep’s article was pure propaganda, but if it’d been a bag of cocaine, the dealer would have cut it several times to prevent cardiac arrest. The writer assembled the usual suspects to predict the familiar bacon saving concessions: Big Ron Gettelfinger, UAW Vice Presidents Cal Rapson and Bob King, and GM spokesman Dan Flores.

"Sacrifice," "put aside the adversarial approach," "our fates are linked;" yada, yada, yada. I mean, they would say that wouldn’t they? The UAW and The Big Two Point Five’s management have been in bed for so long they have to turn every thirty minutes to avoid sores.

Meanwhile, testimony from the sharp end gave Terlep’s game changed analysis some major oomph: “’If we don't make a profit, we don't have a plant,’ said James Kaster, president of UAW Local 1714, which represents workers at GM's factory in Lordstown, Ohio. The plant has a program under way to educate workers on why GM's financial success should matter to them.”

Now THAT’S convincing stuff. Well kind of. I mean, can you imagine the “education” involved? “So, explain to me again why my salary and benefits get whacked because the guys upstairs green light crap cars.”

As is the way of such things, Kaster’s quotelette only implies a willingness to make financial concessions. As Terlep’s piece progresses, the front line rhetoric begins to soften and stink, like goat cheese left in a hot sun.

“’If the U.S. auto industry is going to survive, it's going to have to change, and we're going to have to change with it’ said Skip Dziedzic, president of UAW Local 1866 representing a Delphi Corp. plant in Oak Creek, Wis.”

In this case, the reader is left wondering if the "change" in question has any monetary value whatsoever, or if it simply means that more UAW workers will get more payoffs to sit on the sidelines and watch Delphi amp-up its foreign factories.

And then… “’It's very delicate this year,’ said Jim Stoufer, president of UAW Local 249, at Ford's plant outside St. Louis. ‘Common sense tells you this is going to be rough. We are going to have to play ball with Ford and keep them competitive. But there is going to come a line that we won't cross.’

That line is, of course, a picket line. Think it won’t happen? Neither do I. Again, GM’s “health care concessions” are the new template.

You know; announce that you’ve hammered-out a historic agreement to trim $3b from the compensation package, and then shove $3b into a union bank account and call it good. Or say that workers are forgoing a pay raise, and then earmark the money for health care benefits. That sort of thing.

The actual line which the UAW won't cross is easy enough to identify: their retired and active members’ current salary and benefits. The union and its paymasters can wrangle all they like about working rules, new workers’ pay and bennies, retirement buyouts, etc. They can monkey around with who gets the money how and when. But there is no way that a single one of the UAW’s current or retired workforce is going to take a major hit on their wallet.

By the same token, The Detroit News can tout the UAW’s “pragmatic stance” and the “unprecedented pressures” facing The Big Two Point Five. But no one’s cutting nothin’.

It all boils down to a simple, inescapable, unavoidable, unanswerable, inarguable question: why should a union member take a cut when the bosses are sitting pretty? UAW workers know that GM CEO Rick Wagoner and his minions are wearing golden parachutes, banking millions. In fact, Rabid Rick’s retirement plan is bankruptcy-proof. Try explaining THAT to the rank and file.

The Big Two Point Five can’t afford their current agreements and they know it. They can’t get out of them and they know it. Their real plan? Weasel, cut and run. Ask the PR flacks how their employers can bear the burden of union-based legacy costs, and they talk about a “new spirit of cooperation,” the value of automation, and the great gains in production efficiency. Meanwhile, they’re all busy moving vehicle production out of the U.S.– even as non-union transplants move production in.

I once heard detente described as a confrontation between a blind mongoose and a paralyzed cobra. Need I say any more?

[Read the original Detroit New article here.]

EMail This Post Subscribe to Newsletter Back to Top End of Comments

61 Responses to “UAW ‘07 Contract Negotiations: No Surrender!”

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Show All Reverse Order

* acx:

January 19th, 2007 at 1:31 pm

how much production are they moving out of N.A.?

As if the economic footprint of the imports is a shadow of what the domestics is even now.

what was the data? Domestice shed 48k jobs to fall just under 400,000 and the imports added 3000 jobs to get to 106,000.. lol..

There will be concessions. I can only hope the union is smart enough to realize that the host will die if the relationship continues as is.

* Robert Farago:

January 19th, 2007 at 1:39 pm

Hope springs eternal.

Meanwhile, unions do not back up or back down. It is simply not in their nature.

PS Remember that we're not just talking about final assembly; more and more of The Big Two Point Five's parts biz is speaking Chinese these days.

* Paul Niedermeyer:

January 19th, 2007 at 2:01 pm

“unions do not back up or back down”: then how shall we describe what the airline unions have done: “fall down”?

* Robert Farago:

January 19th, 2007 at 2:04 pm

Precisely.

* Glenn A.:

January 19th, 2007 at 2:05 pm

How about this for a hard-ball question?

Aren’t unions really an unecessary relic any more? It’s not like the ‘gummint’ doesn’t essentially ram tons of social requirements at every employer, is it? Because, it is true.

In 1936 when the unions finally ‘won’ representation in the US automotive factories, it was true that the companies would and could just hire and fire at will, etc. Certainly now, if it is not the state or federal government regulating it, public opinion certainly plays a small part in keeping companies in line.

Therefore, glacially locked unions such as UAW are worse than a waste of space, they’re probably one of the several factors which will actually destroy the US auto industry, or at least employement of non-engineer/designer/management Americans in what once was the US auto industry.

I finally woke up and smelled the coffee when my last (ever) US “branded” (1999 Dodge Neon) crapped out for the 2nd time in about 50,000 miles (head gasket). The car was built in Toluca, Mexico. So, I decided I may as well buy an honestly foreign car, and have been much more satisfied than I was with the prior quarter century of car ownership.

I’ll never go back. Lucky for me, more and more so-called transplant companies are setting up shop in the US and hiring. Just not in Michigan, sadly.

GM? They’ll be moving production offshore to Malaysia (they’re busy trying to buy Proton right now), South Korea (several Canadian and most non-US market Chevrolets are GMDaewoo, as is the US market Aveo), probably red China (Buicks? Yeah, bet on it). Currently, the Buick Rendezvous is built in Mexico (of plastic - at least the outer body) and the engine is from red China.

Ford? Mexico. Plus Ford are trying to buy the RoDae factory in Romania, where workers assemble cars for under $2 an hour (and Ford don’t need the extra capacity in Europe, so I’m presuming they’ll move US production). Chrysler? Mexico.

* thalter:

January 19th, 2007 at 2:14 pm

The other simple, inescapable, unavoidable, unanswerable, inarguable truth: Unions have to justify their value (and their considerable union dues) to their members. They don’t do that by taking pay cuts (which Johnny Lunchbucket could do all by himself).

No matter how you look at it, the UAW is doomed. If they give major concessions, they have lost all the confidence of their members, and if they don’t, the auto companies die, taking the UAW with them. Why do you think the UAW is so busy trying to expand their membership to non-automotive industries?

* mikey:

January 19th, 2007 at 2:23 pm

Active and retired employee benifits and pay? Your talking sacred ground.Your right RF every thing else is on the table.

but the UAW and CAW aint moving on that one.

We are gonna give and give big We all know it.Lets keep in mind we didn’t make the stupid decisions.GM is in deep poo,poo cause of enept,incompetant,greedy management.

The fist line of the contract reads Management will run the company AS IT SEES FIT.

Management could of dealt with unions years ago.Management could of kicked the ass of the dealers. for p—ing off millons of buyers,How many people won’t buy GM ever, cause of some a–hole of a dealer?

Has GM management ever addresed the problem of thier bloated,top heavy army of incompetant higher management?

The answer is no to all of the above.

And now they want the active and retired employees to give up thier hard fought gains?

GM has proven in the past,they can’t or won’t make tough decisions.

I don’t see things changing much in 2007 negotiations.

RFs analysis is fairly acurate.The new hires will take a beating

lots more buy outs.But not much of a change for the active and retired work force

* Buck Rodgers:

January 19th, 2007 at 2:24 pm

For the longest time, I felt as much empathy for the UAW as you would for a gluttonous bully at lunch time. But dang, could it be that the UAW is actually helping the 2.5 die a dignified death? Better that they go under due in no small part to the machinations of entities like the UAW than to their own incompetence.

The stalemate will get interesting. I feel vindictive saying this, but a bloodbath is the only thing that will bring about changes worth even mentioning. Some TTAC scribe mentioned something about Detroit dying and rising up from the ashes to reach heights it never could have imagined reaching before - or something to that effect. If that’s what it takes…

Maybe the UAW’s mercilessness with the American auto industry throughout the years will turn out to be everybody’s unexpected blessing in disguise. And how could I forget? The blurb about fat cats like Ricky W. and his bankruptcy proof retirement package make me shake my head in even more incredulity. Does the General have something to learn from Ford? Do unionized workers have something to learn from Ford? Billy F. froze his pay until his co. could be brought back to profitability. All parties involved have something to learn, really. Hopefully what they learn will let them accept the truth: the role America has played in the auto industry for the better part of 100 years was our sowing season. We didn’t plant all the right seeds and the harvest is more than lackluster. We’re now in the 21st century, folks. It will not be business as usual.

This spreads beyond the auto industry, though. We Americans have been desensitized to the ills of a little something called “overcompensation.” But let’s leave that for another time. It’s been mentioned here before…

* blautens:

January 19th, 2007 at 2:40 pm

Even if the UAW made every concession that gave the 2.5 a semi level playing field as far as labor costs, I don’t see the 2.5 doing their fair share (IE, not building crap, cutting idiot legacy management schema, etc). A LOT of things have to happen for them to recover.

It’s a sinking ship, and who blinks first, or who figures out the lifeboats won’t hold everybody will just be a footnote on the headline “Auto Manufacurer Files Chapter 11″ (insert your choice).

* nocaster:

January 19th, 2007 at 2:52 pm

Right, wrong, good, bad, or indifferent…Unions don’t give back money. The two are mutually exclusive.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Show All Reverse Order

Leave a Reply Back to Top

You must be logged in to post a comment.

« Previous Article More Editorials Next Article »

TTAC Swag

New Content Feeds

RSS RSS 2.0 ATOM EMAIL

Agreed!

The percentage of Ford employees who don't drive Ford's to work is rather small, especially here at KCAP. We have an area where the non-Ford's park and it's not that large and not ever full.

I have been woth Ford 19 years now and have only bought Ford's since 1987 which was 2 years before I hired in. But guess what. Although I own two Ford's presently, my next purchase is going to be a BMW. Why? Because my wife and I would like to have one. Does that make me any less of a Ford suporter? No as I usually get rid of all of my X-plans and most of my A-plans every year. In my 19 years of employment, I've purchased 12 new Ford's. With two in the driveway, I feel no guilt in buying a car I "want".

Just wondering

I've worked for Ford for 15yrs and drove Ford trucks for 20yrs. I buy them not just to support the company but, I think they make the best truck. If your one of these guys that don't buy Fords I would love to run a key down the side of what new piece of junk you decide to buy. You say if we get screwed your not buying a Ford dude no one is twisting your arm to stay maybe you should show them and walk out. I don't know for sure but I bet they can survive without you working for them or you buying their product!!

Just wondering

I make a little over 15 and I can buy one, you cant???

The percentage of Ford employees who don't drive Ford's to work is rather small, especially here at KCAP. We have an area where the non-Ford's park and it's not that large and not ever full.

I have been woth Ford 19 years now and have only bought Ford's since 1987 which was 2 years before I hired in. But guess what. Although I own two Ford's presently, my next purchase is going to be a BMW. Why? Because my wife and I would like to have one. Does that make me any less of a Ford suporter? No as I usually get rid of all of my X-plans and most of my A-plans every year. In my 19 years of employment, I've purchased 12 new Ford's. With two in the driveway, I feel no guilt in buying a car I "want".

I've worked for Ford for 15yrs and that is all I drive. YES that does make you less of a supporter! Plain and simple if you can't buy the product from the company you work for then go work for BMW!! Yes I do believe that much in this. It kills me to see guys drive in new Forgeign or Domestic cars when they have worked for the company since they bought them. It's one thing to drive a Chevy or another domestic car and get hired at Ford but when it's time to replace that vechicle it's a no brainer you buy a Ford! What's your neighbor think when he knows you work at Ford but, buy a BMW? I'll tell you it tells him that he shouldn't buy a Ford because if the employee that works there don't buy one why should he. We make a damm good living here and if you can't support this company then you should get out plain and simple!!

I've worked for Ford for 15yrs and that is all I drive. YES that does make you less of a supporter! Plain and simple if you can't buy the product from the company you work for then go work for BMW!! Yes I do believe that much in this. It kills me to see guys drive in new Forgeign or Domestic cars when they have worked for the company since they bought them. It's one thing to drive a Chevy or another domestic car and get hired at Ford but when it's time to replace that vechicle it's a no brainer you buy a Ford! What's your neighbor think when he knows you work at Ford but, buy a BMW? I'll tell you it tells him that he shouldn't buy a Ford because if the employee that works there don't buy one why should he. We make a damm good living here and if you can't support this company then you should get out plain and simple!!

Right now Ford doesn't really have a vehicle that is direct competition for a BMW. I think they will one day but the only thing that was close (the Lincoln LS) was killed last year.

If you worked for a beer brewery does that mean you can't drink champagne?

Right now Ford doesn't really have a vehicle that is direct competition for a BMW. I think they will one day but the only thing that was close (the Lincoln LS) was killed last year.

You could drink champagne, if your company made it!

I'm talking apples to apples. If I work at beer brewery I would drink their beer. Champane is not beer. If you want to go buy a ATV go buy one Ford doesn't make ATV's. But if your going to buy a luxury car then yes you should buy a Ford. I guess worst case scenario they go buy Volvo since in the long run Ford would profit from them.

I'm talking apples to apples. If I work at beer brewery I would drink their beer. Champane is not beer. If you want to go buy a ATV go buy one Ford doesn't make ATV's. But if your going to buy a luxury car then yes you should buy a Ford. I guess worst case scenario they go buy Volvo since in the long run Ford would profit from them.

Ford doesn't have anything that compares with a BMW apples to apples right now. Sorry. I wish they did. The MKS will be close but that's next year and the new RWD platform is at least 4 years away.

Obviously you can't read as I clearly stated I've bought Ford vehicles for 20 years. Every freakin' vehicle I own does not need to be a Ford however. I think the 2 Ford's in my garage speak pretty clearly to my support for the company and a BMW in my 3rd garage doesn't say anything less. I don't think it's a requirement that I give Ford back all of my earnings. I guess you'd rather I go by a Jag instead? Gimme a break.

I'll bet I've bought and sold more Ford's than you will in your entire career and possibly lifetime. Your argument gets nowhere with me.

Oh come on. I guess we should all go live at Ford Village too since they pay us and we should support the company we work for rather than make our mortgage payments to someone else?

Thank you for your reply, you have made a good point. I have purchased Ford vehicles long before I started working for them, because I like the products, not too support it. I also like a lot of car makers outside of ford. I work 10.7 hours, four days a week and Ford gives me a paycheck and benefits that was negotiated by UAW in exchange for my body. I can not believe employees think the company care about loyalty...Yes I do believe they use to care but not anymore. I would like to see all employees buy Ford vehicles, but I think it's stupid for me to tell any hard working autoworker what to do with his or her paycheck. Forget about all the name callers, if you want to buy a ford brand...that's great, if not then buy whatever you want with you money.

Edited by FANTASTICFORD

Obviously you can't read as I clearly stated I've bought Ford vehicles for 20 years. Every freakin' vehicle I own does not need to be a Ford however. I think the 2 Ford's in my garage speak pretty clearly to my support for the company and a BMW in my 3rd garage doesn't say anything less. I don't think it's a requirement that I give Ford back all of my earnings. I guess you'd rather I go by a Jag instead? Gimme a break.

I'll bet I've bought and sold more Ford's than you will in your entire career and possibly lifetime. Your argument gets nowhere with me.

Explain to your wife that you only cheated on her once after 20 years of monogamy and watch how she responds. I don't like feeling obligated either, it's like being told what to do. But if you guys like to make money then you better be loyal. My wife sells Mary Kay products, now how would a customer react if the found out she didn't where their make-up or perfume. I'll tell you, I use to be a Chevy man before working at Ford. One day I was admiring this guys Blazer and struck up a conversation. In talking to him I found out he was retired from Ford. I said "Oh you worked at Ford" then I turned to my friend who was with me and said " See even he knows Chevy makes better trucks". And thats how people see it, either your disloyal or you don't think Fords are good enough. Either way Ford loses and your income is dependant upon on their sales.

Edited by Furious1Auto

Explain to your wife that you only cheated on her once after 20 years of monogamy and watch how she responds. I don't like feeling obligated either, it's like being told what to do. But if you guys like to make money then you better be loyal. My wife sells Mary Kay products, now how would a customer react if the found out she didn't where their make-up or perfume. I'll tell you, I use to be a Chevy man before working at Ford. One day I was admiring this guys Blazer and struck up a conversation. In talking to him I found out he was retired from Ford. I said "Oh you worked at Ford" then I turned to my friend who was with me and said " See even he knows Chevy makes better trucks". And thats how people see it, either your disloyal or you don't think Fords are good enough. Either way Ford loses and your income is dependant upon on their sales.

Me buying a BMW while still owning 2 Fords isn't being disloyal or "unfaithful". How can you possibly compare buying a non-Ford product to adultery? That's the most ridiculous analogy I've heard.

Guess what. I sold an Edge to a neighbor last night on X-plan. He had been looking at a Dodge Avenger before I told him he should try a Ford. He traded in his Dodge Charger Superbee on it. That's my 4th X-plan this year on top of the A-plans I've gotten rid of. All of my X-plans have gone to friends and neighbors too, not just handing them out blindly to every Tom, Dick and Harry who shows up on this site already intending to buy a Ford but just wanting a better deal begging for an X-plan.

I guess no one wants to take on the moving to Ford Village question? Come on, give all of your money back to Ford. Use Ford Credit, buy New Holland tractors, buy their extended warranties, support Ford Racing, buy Lions season tickets and fly in to all home games, vacation in Detroit so you can pay to take the Rouge tour, live in the Ford communities, etc... Pretty assanine, huh?

Me buying a BMW while still owning 2 Fords isn't being disloyal or "unfaithful". How can you possibly compare buying a non-Ford product to adultery? That's the most ridiculous analogy I've heard.

Guess what. I sold an Edge to a neighbor last night on X-plan. He had been looking at a Dodge Avenger before I told him he should try a Ford. He traded in his Dodge Charger Superbee on it. That's my 4th X-plan this year on top of the A-plans I've gotten rid of. All of my X-plans have gone to friends and neighbors too, not just handing them out blindly to every Tom, Dick and Harry who shows up on this site already intending to buy a Ford but just wanting a better deal begging for an X-plan.

I guess no one wants to take on the moving to Ford Village question? Come on, give all of your money back to Ford. Use Ford Credit, buy New Holland tractors, buy their extended warranties, support Ford Racing, buy Lions season tickets and fly in to all home games, vacation in Detroit so you can pay to take the Rouge tour, live in the Ford communities, etc... Pretty assanine, huh?

It's all about supporting your fellow employees to ensure job security, benefits and retirement. When everyone starts with the screw Ford attitude you are screwing families our of their jobs, homes, benefits and retirements. My mother is a retired surviving salaried spouse. And because she has no union to protect her, Ford has already taken away her vision, hearing and dental benefits. Come January they will give her $1800.00 a year for a supplemental medical policy. They give her 3policies to chose from. And guess what, the one she needs is the one she'll have to pay more for out of her pocket and still won't have vision or dental benefits. How do you think someone 80 years old with rising personnel property taxes can afford this stuff. Have you had to get a pair of glasses lately or even pay out of pocket for a dental visit. So now if we don't support our brothers and sisters of the UAW this is what your retirement will look like. If you have one and are not asked to leave or have your plant close. Believe me it comes much quicker than you think. And all you are trying to save goes quickly with un expected bills and kids going to college and yes, early retirement because your plant has closed.

I can not believe you compare cheating on your spouse to buying a nor Ford. I would be very upset if I find out that my husband cheated on me, but I could care less on how another employee want to spend their money.

Spin it how you wish it is disloyalty.

It's all about supporting your fellow employees to ensure job security, benefits and retirement. When everyone starts with the screw Ford attitude you are screwing families our of their jobs, homes, benefits and retirements. My mother is a retired surviving salaried spouse. And because she has no union to protect her, Ford has already taken away her vision, hearing and dental benefits. Come January they will give her $1800.00 a year for a supplemental medical policy. They give her 3policies to chose from. And guess what, the one she needs is the one she'll have to pay more for out of her pocket and still won't have vision or dental benefits. How do you think someone 80 years old with rising personnel property taxes can afford this stuff. Have you had to get a pair of glasses lately or even pay out of pocket for a dental visit. So now if we don't support our brothers and sisters of the UAW this is what your retirement will look like. If you have one and are not asked to leave or have your plant close. Believe me it comes much quicker than you think. And all you are trying to save goes quickly with un expected bills and kids going to college and yes, early retirement because your plant has closed.

Ford started with the screw employees and families attitude first. A few nor Ford employees has nothing to do with ensuring job security. Mismanaging the company is what got Ford in this mess. The MAJORITY of workers at NAP own Ford vehicles, and I see the same at DTP. We need more support from the American people to ensure our jobs. The cars are looking better, so maybe more outsiders will choose to buy a Ford product. Do the math, a few nor Ford employees did not screw us out of benefits, it the big 3 and everyone else we have to compete with.