Toyota no longer lives in fear of UAW

Len_A

Cornbread and Kool-Aid aside, I ain't feeling you on this one. Not every American is a 3rd or 4th generation UAW employees. A whole lot of Americans work is small business: real estate agents, mechanics, barbers, restaurants, doctor's offices, ad infintium. Many people TODAY lament how Wal-mart has ruined small business, but 25 years ago, unions brought done lots of companies, particularly the UAW. In Michigan, a normal doctor visit is over $100. If your small business cannot afford a benefits package similar to the UAW, you cannot afford to hire people so you fold tent and go somewhere cheaper.

I find this sentence most paradoxical:Our goverment must support its citizens before there are no citizens or country to support it!

Maybe I live in a different America, in my America the citizens are the government , they vote in their representatives

This McAlinden made 5 predictions, before Thanksgiving, we will know if his crystal ball was right, I'll bet he's 4 for 5, see you then

So I guess the people elected Bush twice and decided to commit a majority of our budget to the Iraq War diverting the funds away education, social programs, and the national infrastructure. Oh need we forget about the "Patriot Act". A government which supports its citizens would not allow jobs to leave, lack of healthcare, and so on! So, my friend it is you whom of lives in a paradoxical USA!

So I guess the people elected Bush twice and decided to commit a majority of our budget to the Iraq War diverting the funds away education, social programs, and the national infrastructure. Oh need we forget about the "Patriot Act". A government which supports its citizens would not allow jobs to leave, lack of healthcare, and so on! So, my friend it is you whom of lives in a paradoxical USA!

yep, that's what happened, W was elected 2x, there is a Patriot Act, and the UAW big 3 are now less than half of new car purchases

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...0395/-1/ARCHIVE

I don't always like democarcy either or the rules of the marketplace but 'shooting the messenger' and deny reality are not going to change anything.

The UAW had a good run, its becoming obselete. IT happened to the Roman Empire, it happened to the Soviets. It appears to be happening to the republicans too.

What is it you really want? Toyota orgainized? let's try someone besides the UAW. You insist it must be the UAW, then try dropping the 'closed shop' clause. You want to change the certification procedure? I don't see why it should be so easy to organize but 4x more difficult to de-ceritfy. If the UAW cornbread and kool aid was so awesome, how come its so hard to organize? I think the question answers it self, the UAW is not all it claims to be, its just another layer of managment. The workers at Toyota, Honda,and Nissan can see that

Good question. I don't have the answer to that.

Yes, If the newly formed local demands that their employer maintain a closed shop or not. But now days even closed shops bring outsiders for various services. In the old days locals would go ape shit if a scab was taking their work. Now days people don't give a sh-t until it's their job being outsourced!

Yes, If the newly formed local demands that their employer maintain a closed shop or not. But now days even closed shops bring outsiders for various services. In the old days locals would go ape shit if a scab was taking their work. Now days people don't give a sh-t until it's their job being outsourced!
very, very true.