Mercury Cougar from the Mustang?

I dunno you could ask the people at mercurycougar.net!

A lot of us feel that the 67-73 Cougar was Mercury's Icon. I wasn't just rebadged then. There were significant engineering and completely different sheet metal differences. Although the chassis was similar it was 3" longer. The Cougar was notable for what it didn't have: NO 6 cylinders.

It could be retro and sophisticated and modern.

A kinda 69/Messenger Cougar.......???? post-19198-1140380953_thumb.jpg

I agree on the 'retro' thing. people call the mustang retro(I did too till I saw it sitting next to my 69 fastback) and I can assure you sitting next to an old one, its a different world...I couldnt believe the new one looks much bigger than the 69! I HATE the term 'retro'- prefer to call them 'heritage inspired'...look at a new mustang from 2 blocks away, you know what it is...I look at your chop above and kinda blur my eyes- still see a cougar there, yet looking even a little closer, there aint a line on it from the old one. same with the mustang- hard to describe, but you know it when you see it... I think youve got a target ford should kinda blur their eyes to and aim towards that shape and styling lines. I REALLY like that last one- but still think a little more bumper projection would be needed for 5mph bumper...does the vette have 5mph rating? maybe thats not even an issue anymore...anyway, nice pix dude!

Edited by ford4v429

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks ford4V429,

I agree. I have a new Mustang GT and while it does have "heritage" cues it's a completely modern car, AND there's no mistake it's a Mustang, even though it doesn't say M U S T A N G anywhere on the outside. That's a confident design!

Most bumper now are "skins": a flexible molded design that goes over a 5 MPH bumper underneath. They can be pretty much flush with the sheet metal on the sides, like on the Corvette's rear bumper, with a seam that looks kind of awkward. I prefer a more natural break line. They used to be 5 MPH front and rear. I'm not sure if that's changed to 3 MPH in the rear or not.

The 69/Messenger design is based obviously off the 69/70 Cougar side sweep. Other than a period looking hood scoop that's about it for "retro". The headlights aren't really hidden like the early Cougars, but they are more integrated like a Citroen Maserati SM or an early Sable...a design element. Hidden in plain sight and no mechanical issues to fail.

The Corvette bumper/fender seam line:

It looks OK on some angles, other times it looks like a sloppy transition on an otherwise smooth surface. (Don't get me wrong, the Corvette is a GREAT car....nearly perfect!)

post-19198-1140555689_thumb.jpg

post-19198-1140555721_thumb.jpg

post-19198-1140555749_thumb.jpg

post-19198-1140557211_thumb.jpg

Timmmm, interesting light'n'grille treatment.

First time I've seen a Messenger adaptation I like -

but needs a

88_s.jpg

maybe repeat the center's ribbing on the lens covers,

and oblong or bar-shaped fogs? LED's?

Syrtran, could your re-scan please? (maybe 800-1000 wide)

do you like it better too, timmm?

It's the one I prefer.......(still working on it though) because I like the 89/70 a bit better. The 67/68 is considered the more "pure" classic Cougar, but the "sweep" has such a strong character line it looks bland without it.

A lot of the classic Cougar folk really REALLY want hidden headlights and sequential tail lights on a new Cougar. But I think "hiding in plain sight" headlights wold be fine too. Plus there would be a connection to the "light bar" of past Merc's like the Sable, not a classic, but when it came out in 86 I thought it was pretty cool.

Here's my interior ideas: wood, leather, NAV, pull straps, full gauges.......a comfy place to be in. I had a Mark VIII before my 05 Mustang GT and included a bit of a swept away dash too.....goes well with the exterior.

post-19198-1140880587_thumb.jpg

Edited by timmm55

Some good sketches and photoshops here. I've spoken with some Ford execs, there is a desire to put out a new "Cougar." Dealers are asking about it, customers are asking about, and employees are asking. With Mercury's brand recognition being so low, something like this can bring the brand to the public eye. A smaller run, say maybe 20K units. Use the S197 chassis, throw on different sheetmetal, bump up the 4.6 with say 4V heads or a different intake, or put in a 5.4L. Give the some goodies like heated seats, stability control and have the model be a more upscale muscle car. Purists can go for the Mustang, people that want a little bit more to their muscle coupe can spring for the Cougar. With the competition wanting a piece of this pie as was pointed out, here's a way for FoMoCo to to expand their lineup and bring up a brand.

Some good sketches and photoshops here. I've spoken with some Ford execs, there is a desire to put out a new "Cougar." Dealers are asking about it, customers are asking about, and employees are asking. With Mercury's brand recognition being so low, something like this can bring the brand to the public eye. A smaller run, say maybe 20K units. Use the S197 chassis, throw on different sheetmetal, bump up the 4.6 with say 4V heads or a different intake, or put in a 5.4L. Give the some goodies like heated seats, stability control and have the model be a more upscale muscle car. Purists can go for the Mustang, people that want a little bit more to their muscle coupe can spring for the Cougar. With the competition wanting a piece of this pie as was pointed out, here's a way for FoMoCo to to expand their lineup and bring up a brand.

Well, if they need any help I could use the JOB ;-)

I resized and lightened the pic...look good....needs wheels.

Thanks. The picture wasn't scanned, I had to use a digital camera, and I normally am not allowed near those things. :D

Wheels??? Take a good look at the perspective on the sketch and then tell me you trust me with wheels!

;)

Use the S197 chassis, throw on different sheetmetal, bump up the 4.6 with say 4V heads or a different intake, or put in a 5.4L.

IMO, and I may be in the minority here (*), a Cougar doesn't necessarily need more power than the Mustang, but it -definitely- should have a smoother ride: IRS.

(*) I admit it - I'm not a power-junkie. After all, I drive an SVO. Not now, of course, there's salt on the roads!

do you like it better too, timmm?

It's the one I prefer.......(still working on it though) because I like the 89/70 a bit better. The 67/68 is considered the more "pure" classic Cougar, but the "sweep" has such a strong character line it looks bland without it.

A lot of the classic Cougar folk really REALLY want hidden headlights and sequential tail lights on a new Cougar. But I think "hiding in plain sight" headlights wold be fine too. Plus there would be a connection to the "light bar" of past Merc's like the Sable, not a classic, but when it came out in 86 I thought it was pretty cool.

Here's my interior ideas: wood, leather, NAV, pull straps, full gauges.......a comfy place to be in. I had a Mark VIII before my 05 Mustang GT and included a bit of a swept away dash too.....goes well with the exterior.

Great Interior Timmm55. You really captured the upscale Cougar look. If Ford execs are reading this site you should be receiving a call.This car should be easily doable on a budget and would make Linclon-Mercury Dealers very happy.

this just gets better and better...I kinda like spoilerless too for some reason...perhaps I'm biased towards a flying 'wing' like 69 eliminator...

question- food for thought- just to be different, how about a reverse/recessed rear glass like on something I cant think of the name of right now...did the early cougars have that? I know a 69 XL did...just thinking a more distinctive roofline might add something, dunno...I kinda think the little projections past rear window add something in the rear 3/4 view...just askin.

nice work. I hope some Ford guys see these- maybe one whose last name is Ford :)

Here's one I did for the other (67/68 heritage) but would work well here too. the architectural term is a "flying butress" like the cathedrals. Some call it a tunnel back roof line.

Fantastic Timmm. I love the roofline and tail lights. This just gets better with every revision. The differences really set it apart from the Mustang.

Great work TIMMM this should be on Ford's drawing board for production. It definetly would sell in numbers to justify it.. And it would give merc a big shot in the arm image wise. With the upcomming Charger and Camaro it would give anouther option for a Pony car. And even better one built by Ford.

Since most of the work is sheet metal it is doable. The Cougar I would give a more compliant ride over the Mustang and Lux it up a bit. Just as the orginal was.

Matthew

Great work TIMMM this should be on Ford's drawing board for production. It definetly would sell in numbers to justify it.. And it would give merc a big shot in the arm image wise. With the upcomming Charger and Camaro it would give anouther option for a Pony car. And even better one built by Ford.

Since most of the work is sheet metal it is doable. The Cougar I would give a more compliant ride over the Mustang and Lux it up a bit. Just as the orginal was.

Matthew

AMEN!!

one more suggestion for consideration...I think the best looking 'luxury/sporty' wheels ever made were the 93-99 CV/GM 'handling package' 16x7's...if 16's would clear the brakes, that alone would dramatically improve the ride(if softer is an improvement). heres a pic of on, and a set on my old 65...I love these wheels on a non performance car. they offered a similar one too that was 15x6, but too flat faced. how do you think a set of these would look on a cougar?

cvicsmall.jpg

post-19827-1141274209_thumb.jpg

Timm,

I've always loved the flying buttress on the old Jag XJ-S, and makes very good fit to the S197. The only improvement I would make to the silver car would be to flatened the rear deck and move the thrid taillight to the top of the rear glass. But I'm not liking the application of the Messenger to the front.I'm thinking the blue one you posted back on June 1st is the best application to date. I think it has the best proportions I've seen yet.

Edited by Kris Kolman