Mercury Cougar from the Mustang?

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of great ideas here, not to mention renderings of concepts. Like many, I like the idea of a retro-inspired design on a modern platform. My first instinct is to start with the Mustang, stretch/widen it enough to hold five passengers, move it up market from its Ford sibling, offer a V6 (LS) and a V8 (XR-7), and give it styling reminiscent of the late 60's model. Then I think, maybe Mercury should look at another platform. Perhaps a Cougar coupe could start life as a Fusion/Milan. While it would have its own distinctive coupe sheet metal and interior, it would share drive trains and underpinnings with its sedan stablemates. Then I think, maybe it should go even bigger and be based on the 2010 Taurus/SHO. Regardless, all of these platforms are modern and competitive and I would strongly consider each seriously.

The only midsized coupe available from a domestic automaker is the Challenger, a very cool car. Gone are the Monte Carlo/Malibu, Cutlass, Regal, Grand Prix, T-Bird, Cougar, etc. I've always loved big coupes, a type of vehicle that is truly an American concept. Yet, Honda has the Accord, Nissan the Altima, and until recently, Toyota had the Camry Solara. The reason IMHO that there are so few domestic midsized coupes is that Ford and GM have given up on them, as they did with minivans. They decided not to be competitive and simply surrendered. How weak of them.