Ford Motor Company: September 2007 Sales

Why does everyone keep forgetting that Ford has been intentionally reducing it's capacity, If you aren't building as many than you can't sell as many! What we need to watch is their profitability!

But we're talking about vehicles that Ford has specific sales targets for. No one here is lamenting reduced Taurus sales.

And PS, if Ford wants to reduce more capacity the UAW would have to agree in the contract. Ford can't offer job security and cut plants.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, the Mustang, she's not looking so good. The rest is fairly understandable. On the plus side, the Fusion is up.

Mustang's segment is sensitive to 2 things:

1) product novelty- it is not a practice decision it is "I will have the first one on the block" decision - the Mustang is getting a little old... but it will be much better next year

2) economy - it being a "fun car" if economy is not doing well - people just buy practical cars - not fun cars .

the mustang decline was expected more so that the Fusion stabilization and Five Hundred / Taurus decline.

Igor

ok not even close - CR-V sales up 68% to over 19k... damn ...

Igor

I really wonder at times...if people automatically assume that a Honda or Toyota gets better MPG without even checking competing vehicles out?

How much does a difference of 1-2 MPG going to really make?

Ford reported sales without adjusting for selling days. Only 25 selling days this month vs 26 last year. GM reported adjusted for selling days.

I read both GM and Ford's official reports. I find the spin ironic. Ford is saying they are doing worse than reality to focus on the need for more UAW cuts. GM is going to say the turnaround plan is working to get the UAW to ratify the current contract and to get the market behind them.

Mind you, Ford adjusting for selling days will only change the number from 20.5% to like 16.5%, but it is a difference.

Why does everyone keep forgetting that Ford has been intentionally reducing it's capacity, If you aren't building as many than you can't sell as many! What we need to watch is their profitability!

Very good point sale figures will take a hit if you close 14 plants down, so they are all going to be down, at least till 2008-9, it will impact the numbers if you cut capacity.

Which l think will be a lucky break for Ford as there is a slow down in the US economy at the moment, most other companys are going to be a bit overweight as sales drop as a result in the slowdown in the US car sales.

I really wonder at times...if people automatically assume that a Honda or Toyota gets better MPG without even checking competing vehicles out?

How much does a difference of 1-2 MPG going to really make?

Depends on if it is 14 mpg vs 12mpg or 30mpg vs 28mpg.

CR-V sales up 68% to over 19k... damn ...

IMHO, it's no longer a mini SUV, but the station-wagon for the Civic line-up. It may also be a refuge for Honda Civic consumers who don't like the door-stop wedge look of the current Civic; they can stay with the brand they like, with a 4-cylinder vehicle.

On the whole, the Escape is doing fine.

IMHO, it's no longer a mini SUV, but the station-wagon for the Civic line-up. It may also be a refuge for Honda Civic consumers who don't like the door-stop wedge look of the current Civic; they can stay with the brand they like, with a 4-cylinder vehicle.

You speak like the styling on the CR-V is anything to write home about...its horrible!

I'd take a Civic over it

yes, the Mustang is down, but still over 10K a month. That is as good as the SN95.

And, pcsarios's fave Chrysler, with their crap interiors, sure are not doing that great. And all the talk about 'we are goiung to be.." from the Home Depot manager is just talk for now.

Frankly, this is not unexpected, and when you factor in the fewer selling days and huge loss of the original Taurus, it really isn't so awful.

However, it is a volatile lineup, with big gains on some fronts patching huge losses on other fronts.

F-Series and Explorer sales drops are particularly painful, considering the huge profits from both. F-Series is getting hammered by a tough housing market, and the Explorer is probably being cannibalized by the much hotter Edge.

We can assume Focus and Taurus sales will finally get kicked into high gear with the marketing campaign this month.

How about Lincoln? Sales are soaring, thanks to the new Navigator, MKX, and a slight uptick from the MKZ. Sales are up in spite of the Town Car getting shut down for the summer. With the MKS and MK-Flex, we can only assume things will continue upwards from here.

I know that a lot of people are going to hate me for saying this, but the simple fact is that Ford's lineup is dated. I do not think a rebadged 500 or a redid Focus will help. The Taurus still has that 1980's styling that scares people away. The Focus, in my opinion, looks hideous- kind of like a Suzuki.

2010 Cannot come fast enough for a Taurus resdesign, and the Euro-Focus cannot be built here fast enough. For the most part, the '08 Focus and Taurus are stopgaps until Ford can truly come up with something competitive. Having a rear-wheel-drive sedan as well would help matters greatly.

I know that a lot of people are going to hate me for saying this, but the simple fact is that Ford's lineup is dated. I do not think a rebadged 500 or a redid Focus will help. The Taurus still has that 1980's styling that scares people away. The Focus, in my opinion, looks hideous- kind of like a Suzuki.

2010 Cannot come fast enough for a Taurus resdesign, and the Euro-Focus cannot be built here fast enough. For the most part, the '08 Focus and Taurus are stopgaps until Ford can truly come up with something competitive. Having a rear-wheel-drive sedan as well would help matters greatly.

Would a RWD sedan make THAT much difference? At the MOST you're talking about an additional 10,000 units a month.

The Focus and Taurus are both relatively dated I will agree. The biggest problems in the lineup right now though are surprisingly to be found on the TRUCK side of the sales floor. F-150 is outdated. Ranger may as well not exist. Explorer is downright ugly in most trim levels. THAT is where Ford is hurting most. Their cars, while not the best in the business, are at least more up-to-date than the vast majority of their truck line. Look at their most up-to-date trucks -- Escape, Expedition, and Edge -- and you see they are the only ones doing pretty well.

Anyway you slice it, these numbers are bad. Market Share will probably continue to slip and my only hope is that when the quaterlies come out, things wont be that bad financially.

I keep hearing 2008, 2008 but I just hope for a stabilization of sales volume in NA. If you look at cars only, its down 45% (I know that Taurus represent most of it) but I really feel that the B car cant be launched quickly enough and I hope that the freshened Focus will help keep the momentum going until the new one arrives. I have hopes for the 08 Focus.

Explorer and F series is really hurting bad...

Anyway you slice it, these numbers are bad. Market Share will probably continue to slip and my only hope is that when the quaterlies come out, things wont be that bad financially.

I keep hearing 2008, 2008 but I just hope for a stabilization of sales volume in NA. If you look at cars only, its down 45% (I know that Taurus represent most of it) but I really feel that the B car cant be launched quickly enough and I hope that the freshened Focus will help keep the momentum going until the new one arrives. I have hopes for the 08 Focus.

Explorer and F series is really hurting bad...

I don't think we'll see any solid stabilization of Ford's sales until the end of next year I'm afraid. I predict sales declines will continue through the first half of next year, albeit smaller than they are now. Once summer rolls around, hopefully we'll see some modest (1-2%) inclines. Once the new F-150, Mustang, Fusion, and Fiesta are all in showrooms around October-November of '08, they will FINALLY have a pretty darn fresh and competitive lineup across the board. If sales don't pick up at that point, I don't think there's any hope at all.

I don't think we'll see any solid stabilization of Ford's sales until the end of next year I'm afraid. I predict sales declines will continue through the first half of next year, albeit smaller than they are now. Once summer rolls around, hopefully we'll see some modest (1-2%) inclines. Once the new F-150, Mustang, Fusion, and Fiesta are all in showrooms around October-November of '08, they will FINALLY have a pretty darn fresh and competitive lineup across the board. If sales don't pick up at that point, I don't think there's any hope at all.

They had better not name it "Fiesta" if they want to sell it to anyone here.

Just because they mismanaged everything after does not invalidate my point.

If Chrysler could manage anything properly, they wouldn't have had a need for the LX as a saviour to begin with.

Ford's future doesn't live or die on the success of a RWD platform. It relies on solid product planning ACROSS THE BOARD. Would a RWD sedan be nice? Sure. Is it necessary to give them a competitive across-the-board lineup? Not in the least.