Ford Motor Company: September 2007 Sales

If you miss your target demographic as much as Honda did with the Element, they obviously didn't market the car properly. Lackluster sales of the Element overall kind of support that theory. A properly-marketed car will hit its target demographic right between the eyes.

Because it is more important to hit your demographic than to miss your demographic because people you didn't expect to buy your car are buying them in droves.

When I hear Fiesta I just think small car. I was far too young when they were around to remember how good they were. This from a nearly-thirty-year-old. How many people over 30 are going to be buying B-cars? Not a whole heck of a lot. And those who will, name is hardly their priority. Things like quality, fuel economy, and price will dictate what they buy -- not image.

Nick, a lot of people in their 30s buy B-cars. If they live in a city, they will buy them. And guess what, the quality, fuel economy, and price of the Taurus are world class, but its sales are anything but. Guess image does matter huh?

Like I said before. It's already called Fiesta everywhere else and seems to work pretty well. Why fix what ain't broke?

Lol. This is the same philosophy that led to the Panthers being how they are, the Taurus not keeping up with the Camry, Ford ignoring cars in favor of trucks, ETC.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It sold well. No doubt. For awhile at least. Did it actually make money? Will it continue to sell well? What are Chrysler's plans to update/replace it? If you don't have the answers to these questions, you can in no way tell me with a straight face that it positively impacted Chrysler's fortunes. It was a drop in the bucket. A flash in the pan. Basically like every other "highly-acclaimed" hit by Chrysler in recent years. Just like Chrysler's other hits, I see no indication of the initial strength being developed continuously to make sure it doesn't become another flash in the pan.

LX cars have sold in the range of 21K - 25K a month range since mid 2005 when the Charger was released. Prior to that it was around 17K -18K per month. There were a few months THIS year where it sold over 27K units. Magnum does not have the numbers, but the Charger and 300 have more then made up for it. They are still selling fine.

The Challenger is a huge question mark right now.

Huh?

The 300 is overdue for a refresh. Where is it? The Magnum is likely being discontinued. No success there.

The 2008 300 and Magnum refreshes were already released and currently for sale. Charger is next MY (since it was released one MY later then Mag & 300). 300 refresh was somewhat minor...new interior and minor fascia styling and a new decklid. Magnum was more substantial with an all new front end and interior.

Because it is more important to hit your demographic than to miss your demographic because people you didn't expect to buy your car are buying them in droves.

You should really check Element sales. They are hardly what I would classify as "droves".

Nick, a lot of people in their 30s buy B-cars. If they live in a city, they will buy them. And guess what, the quality, fuel economy, and price of the Taurus are world class, but its sales are anything but. Guess image does matter huh?

If people even knew the current Taurus existed, it may be selling just a tad better, don't you think? And B-car shoppers and D-car shoppers are very little alike in any regard other than they are both looking for vehicles with 4 tires.

LX cars have sold in the range of 21K - 25K a month range since mid 2005 when the Charger was released. Prior to that it was around 17K -18K per month. There were a few months THIS year where it sold over 27K units. Magnum does not have the numbers, but the Charger and 300 have more then made up for it. They are still selling fine.

I never said it's selling poorly NOW. But where will it end up?

Huh?

The Challenger is a big question mark. It debuts around the same time as the Camaro and a freshened Mustang. Will it be a success? That's the big question mark. If you don't think it has a possibility of failing, I think you need to take off the rose-tinted glasses.

The 2008 300 and Magnum refreshes were already released and currently for sale. Charger is next MY (since it was released one MY later then Mag & 300). 300 refresh was somewhat minor...new interior and minor fascia styling and a new decklid. Magnum was more substantial with an all new front end and interior.

The 2008 300 is a refresh? Wow. Guess that answers my question about whether Chrysler is going to let the LX cars rot on the vine or not.

The Mustang made money, sold well, and everyone saw it. There's your Ford example. The only difference is -- Ford has managed to do it even better than Chrysler, and more sustainably -- which should make it an even more resounding overall success for the company, but it simply does not work that way. It takes more than one flash (or even repeated flashes in the Mustang's case) to turn around the fortunes of an entire company.

How much worse would Chrysler be without the LX line? Unless you can tell me for certain that the LX cars didn't suck R&D funds away from other programs which may have been more important, there's no way to tell. I wonder how much more competitive the Sebring and Avenger would be if all the money spent on fanciful LX cars was spent on making those two products better? Of course, there's no way of knowing how that money would have been spent instead, so that's an impossible question to answer.

The Mustang is the exception to every rule. The new Mustang didn't bring people into showrooms like the 300c did. Unless you want to argue that people going to see the Mustang bought a Taurus or Freestar instead. Also, the Mustang is pretty much its own class, it didn't bring in new buyers from other brands.

I can tell you for certain the LX cars didn't suck R&D funds. It uses the outgoing E-Class architecture. The Hemi was off the shelf, the styling was from past models. The new Sebring and Avenger came out 3 years later with all the problems that have plagued Chrysler cars for the past 10 years, except they didn't have media spin and a Hemi to make people see past it. The Sebring and Avenger are perfect examples of selling a product that sucks just based on its image. Hey, they have heated and cooled cupholders!!!! But the actually car still sucks. The 300, on the other hand, actually was a decent product, it was different (RWD), stylish, and was something people are proud to own. It was the best option in a category of ONE.

Ford is in much better shape than Chrysler, but that doesn't mean Ford can't learn something from Chrysler.

The Challenger is a big question mark. It debuts around the same time as the Camaro and a freshened Mustang. Will it be a success? That's the big question mark. If you don't think it has a possibility of failing, I think you need to take off the rose-tinted glasses.

That I can agree with...I thought you meant it was a question mark if it was going to be produced or not.

The 2008 300 is a refresh? Wow. Guess that answers my question about whether Chrysler is going to let the LX cars rot on the vine or not.

Hey, I never said it was an amazing refresh. But, in their defense, its still selling good. Why re-style something that is selling mostly based on the way it looks? For the sake of saying its re-styled? Continuous tweaks until the next version comes out. I can say the auto show circuit will be quite interesting in a little over a year.

The Mustang is the exception to every rule. The new Mustang didn't bring people into showrooms like the 300c did. Unless you want to argue that people going to see the Mustang bought a Taurus or Freestar instead. Also, the Mustang is pretty much its own class, it didn't bring in new buyers from other brands.

I can tell you for certain the LX cars didn't suck R&D funds. It uses the outgoing E-Class architecture. The Hemi was off the shelf, the styling was from past models. The new Sebring and Avenger came out 3 years later with all the problems that have plagued Chrysler cars for the past 10 years, except they didn't have media spin and a Hemi to make people see past it. The Sebring and Avenger are perfect examples of selling a product that sucks just based on its image. Hey, they have heated and cooled cupholders!!!! But the actually car still sucks. The 300, on the other hand, actually was a decent product, it was different (RWD), stylish, and was something people are proud to own. It was the best option in a category of ONE.

Ford is in much better shape than Chrysler, but that doesn't mean Ford can't learn something from Chrysler.

If Ford can learn anything from Chrysler, it's what NOT to do.

I still fail to see how the Mustang is ANY different than the LX cars in your scenario....other than the Mustang being better at it. If people coming to a Dodge or Chrysler dealer to look at a Charger, Magnum, or 300, it's not very likely they drove out in a Sebring or Avenger instead. Just like Mustang shoppers likely won't go for a Taurus or Edge instead. That's exactly my point. They are both basically stand-alone successes that do little to change the business climate of the rest of the company. What Ford and Chrysler BOTH need to do is find what's right about the formula of their successes (moreso Ford since the Mustang has been a LONG-TERM success whereas the LX jury is still out) and find a way to apply it to the rest of their lineup. It isn't about engines or what tires spin when you hit the gas. It's about passion. Passion for design. Passion for the customer. Passion for marketing. There is no passion anywhere else in the Ford OR Chrysler car lineups.

You should really check Element sales. They are hardly what I would classify as "droves".

If people even knew the current Taurus existed, it may be selling just a tad better, don't you think? And B-car shoppers and D-car shoppers are very little alike in any regard other than they are both looking for vehicles with 4 tires.

Name the last Ford product that greatly beat sales expectations. The Element did. Even though it is a cheesy piece of shit. I was just using it as an example, not as a be all end all rule about demographics.

Hmmm, knowing about the Taurus....could that be its IMAGE? And actually, B and D car shoppers want quality, fuel economy, performance, and comfort. They just are limited by either the size they want or their budget. Some B-car shoppers could probably afford D-class luxury cars.

How about we stop sorting shoppers into B/C/D class ranges and just sell them a car that fits their needs? Someone that says "I need a car" checks out the Ford line, might decide on a Taurus cause they need the room, then recommend the Fusion to a buddy without kids or buy a Maverick/Fiesta for his own 16 year old.

FORD ESCAPE SETS ANOTHER SALES RECORD

Sixth consecutive month of record sales for Ford Escape

September Highlights:

Ford Escape posts best September on record with 35% increase over last year

Ford Ranger sales increase 13%

Ford Expedition sales rise 133%

Ford SUV sales are up 30% in September

Lincoln Mark LT has best September since launch, sales up 14%

Lincoln line-up posts a 9% increase

OAKVILLE, Ontario, October 2, 2007 – Completely redesigned for 2008, the Ford Escape continues to be a winner for Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited, with sales of the spunky small utility vehicle setting another monthly sales record in September – the sixth record month of sales in a row.

"Canadians are really embracing the bold, tougher exterior of the new 2008 Ford Escape," said Bill Osborne, president and CEO, Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited. "That rugged exterior is coupled with an all-new interior featuring the industry's first fabric seating surfaces made from 100% recycled material."

In September, Ford of Canada saw overall combined sales decrease 9.5 per cent to 13,892 units. Total truck sales were down 6.1 per cent at 10,503 units, although year to date, truck sales remain up 7.6 per cent over 2006 at 131,448 units. Car sales of 3,389 units mark an 18.4 per cent decline compared to last September.

Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited

September 2007 Vehicle Sales

% Change

Total Vehicles

September

-9.5%

January – September

-1.4%

Total Cars

September

-18.4%

January – September

-20.8%

Total Trucks

September

-6.1%

January – September

+7.6%

http://media.ford.com/translate/article_di...rticle_id=26958

We also used the Ford Maverick down here as a rebadged Nissan Patrol.

Huge outcry in AUS when rumors suggested Falcon name was being rreplaced by Pontiac style designation.

Naturally, FoA reassured all concerned that the Falcon name will stay.

Big rumor is that Maverick and Galaxie names are on the short list for future NA RWD

If Ford can learn anything from Chrysler, it's what NOT to do.

Which still qualifies as learning to prevent future mistakes.

I still fail to see how the Mustang is ANY different than the LX cars in your scenario....other than the Mustang being better at it. If people coming to a Dodge or Chrysler dealer to look at a Charger, Magnum, or 300, it's not very likely they drove out in a Sebring or Avenger instead. Just like Mustang shoppers likely won't go for a Taurus or Edge instead. That's exactly my point. They are both basically stand-alone successes that do little to change the business climate of the rest of the company. What Ford and Chrysler BOTH need to do is find what's right about the formula of their successes (moreso Ford since the Mustang has been a LONG-TERM success whereas the LX jury is still out) and find a way to apply it to the rest of their lineup. It isn't about engines or what tires spin when you hit the gas. It's about passion. Passion for design. Passion for the customer. Passion for marketing. There is no passion anywhere else in the Ford OR Chrysler car lineups.

The Mustang really is different. REGARDLESS of the car's respective successes, the LX cars got massive mainstream media coverage and the Mustang did not. While not that likely, it is still far more likely the 300 shopper bought a Sebring than a Mustang shopper bought a Taurus. There is nothing about the Mustang that can be translated to other Ford products because the Mustang is so unique. Pony cars, by definition evoke emotion and passion, not common sense. Toyota evokes 0 emotion or passion but makes $13billion a year. If Chrysler had been able to build from the 300 success and make the next Sebring a fuel efficient, quality-rich, passionate sedan they would be in better shape. Instead they just put the Sebring next to a 300c and hoped it would sell based off association.

The best Mustang in probably 20 years and sales are in the tank even though it doesn't have any US competition???? I'm telling you from experience its too cheesy on cheap interior pieces and over-priced by $5K at a minimum.

The F-250 and 350 will continue to decline between the housing/contractor market being off and the fact the new 6.4 Powerjoke is getting about ~13 mpg unloaded in the real world. These trucks are overpriced by $10K once they reach XLT trim levels and above. Plus, when the entire world knows you make as much as $20K per loaded SD truck you have just destroyed any pricing credibility you have as a manufacturer.

The 150 is still nice but dated with an underpowered 4.6 and a barely adequate 5.4 both of which are gas hogs compared to the Chebby motors though real world vs. window sticker MPGs on the Chebbies took a dump during the 2007 model year (though John Q Redneck probably doesn't know that yet). The 150 at the FX4/Lariat level is overpriced by $8K to $10K all day long which is why I bought a $41K truck with 801 miles for $31K. There was no way in hell the new trucks were even worth phony invoice minus a $4K rebate.

Plus, they need shit can all the al cart options across the brand because they don't add up at trade time. Every Honda dealer knows what std equipment and few possible options an accord EX V6 has. My stupid truck had at least $7K in options per the original window sticker including a $1300 wireless DVD that is worth almost nothing at trade because the guides and the dealers say they aren't worth anything. I'm glad some idiot took a bath on these options because I would have never bought a truck equipped like this from Ford had he not.

Screw advertising campaigns and the stupid post 9/11 yo-yo rebates that DESTROY trade values.

CUT THE STUPID PRICES AND HOLD THEM THERE! Rebates do not benefit consumers as a whole they destroy resale and alienate potential repeat buyers. Get a f'ing clue Ford!

Between the deadbeat mortgage fiasco and 2008 being an election year I wouldn't hold my breath that momma Ford won't be going to the courthouse next year looking for protection and I don't mean for condoms either.

Good luck! Ford's my favorite brand but it must continue to give me reasons why it should remain that way as well.

Edited by Automotive Paint

Ford sales are not going down this year just because of the old Taurus (deletion) and the slowdown in the housing industry. Consider total Ford US sales during the past 7 or 8 years:

2000 - 4,202,820

2001 - 3,971,364

2002 - 3,623,709

2003 - 3,483,719

2004 - 3,331,696

2005 - 3,168,156

2006 - 2,918,674

2007 - 2,550,000 (estimate)

EVERY year is down, and considerably at that. Losing nearly 40% of your market in the most profitable auto market in the world is a sure fire recipe for disaster. Bob Rewey would never have stood for this. You guys can argue individual products until you are blue in the face, the bottom line is that most new Ford products only do well because they are substitution products for other existing Ford products. The overall market perceives Ford as an old person's car (and that includes the Mustang), staid, uneconomical, too heavy, lacking the technology of its competitors, and in whole parts of the country, an embarrasing vehicle to be "seen" in. Perhaps Mullaly can turn this image around, but with the exception of the F150, the entire product-line needs a new image.

Certainly if I had the cash Ford currently has in the bank I would not invest it in anything done by Ford management. And if it not for the Ford family, the company would be raided - pay the $18B or so market cap to capture the available cash - a no brainer (yes not all the available cash is available to raid, but much is).

The overall market perceives Ford as an old person's car (and that includes the Mustang), staid, uneconomical, too heavy, lacking the technology of its competitors, and in whole parts of the country, an embarrasing vehicle to be "seen" in. Perhaps Mullaly can turn this image around, but with the exception of the F150, the entire product-line needs a new image.

You keep trumpeting this fact...care to back it up? The US population is growning older and Toyata is facing the same issue. Its an industry-wide problem.

I can think of far worse vehicles to be seen in...like Buick that have an Old man stigma about them. Throwing Tiger Woods at Buick isn't going to change that demographic.

post-19198-1123112778_thumb.jpg

Mustang, Focus, F-150 and Explorer all had huge hits in sales. The Taurus is still stuck in low drive, but the Taurus X seems to be doing pretty well. The Edge and MKX/Escape and Mariner are bright spots. the Ranger had nearly 43% less sales then last year! ugh...

Anyways, good news is that the Focus has an all new model coming out this month...and we have a new F-150 coming in the next year or so.

Other then that I'm not sure :shrug:

Keep going. You forgot a couple of products. ;)

That's right. I told ya so. You can say it. :lol:

You keep trumpeting this fact...care to back it up? The US population is growning older and Toyata is facing the same issue. Its an industry-wide problem.

Except that Toyota came up with a solution that seems to be working called Scion. Ford, . . . released a refried Focus.

bb62 may be right. I don't think it helps either to keep bringing back old names like Galaxie, 500 and Maverick on new cars. Ford needs an entirely new look. They might even need to consider dropping the Mustang and introducing an entirely different sports coupe. Go ahead, flame me now, but Mustang 10,266 14,341 -28.4. This is not good for a car that's only in it's 3rd year. lol

Ooooh a 9% drop for Volvo blimey. That's bad when you consider they have a new volume model in the C30 (which isn't setting the world alight). It's also a shocker when you consider they have tighter profit margins than real Premium car makers like Land Rover who co-incidentally saw an 8% increase in sales.

Jags poor figures reflect two things. Firstly they are winding down production of the S type so stocks are dropping. Secondly the XK sales are being reduced in the USA to help meet demand in Europe where the currencies are worth more than the dollar. Not a lot you can really tell from Jag's figures until the XF launches.....

As for Ford I said yesterday I think they can turn it around but that was a big drop. I wonder if Ford might now sell Volvo which could raise a lot of money now and keep JLR which is likely to demand a higher price in another year or so?

Ooooh a 9% drop for Volvo blimey. That's bad when you consider they have a new volume model in the C30 (which isn't setting the world alight). It's also a shocker when you consider they have tighter profit margins than real Premium car makers like Land Rover who co-incidentally saw an 8% increase in sales.

Jags poor figures reflect two things. Firstly they are winding down production of the S type so stocks are dropping. Secondly the XK sales are being reduced in the USA to help meet demand in Europe where the currencies are worth more than the dollar. Not a lot you can really tell from Jag's figures until the XF launches.....

As for Ford I said yesterday I think they can turn it around but that was a big drop. I wonder if Ford might now sell Volvo which could raise a lot of money now and keep JLR which is likely to demand a higher price in another year or so?

SELL JRL NOWWWWWWWWWWWW! Please dear god keeping two automakers that each sell 3 different cars is a terrible idea.

SELL JRL NOWWWWWWWWWWWW! Please dear god keeping two automakers that each sell 3 different cars is a terrible idea.

Huh?

Land Rover sell Defender, LR2, LR3, Range Rover, Range Rover sport and are now planning a 6th new model. Did you mean Lincoln?

Anyway I'm more interested in Volvo's flagging sales. 9% down! That's very bad with new models coming on line.

Huh?

Land Rover sell Defender, LR2, LR3, Range Rover, Range Rover sport and are now planning a 6th new model. Did you mean Lincoln?

Anyway I'm more interested in Volvo's flagging sales. 9% down! That's very bad with new models coming on line.

Huh?

Lincoln sells the Town Car, the MKZ, the MKX, the Navigator, and the Mark LT. They are dropping the LT and adding the S and MK Flex.

Huh?

Its too bad that LR didn't contribute near as much in the way of tech to the company.... :stirpot: