Flex will make Homer happy!

928s4

If ever I saw a car destined for a cartoon show it would have to be the Ford Flex I saw motoring around Oakville Ontario the other day. This vehicle would be perfect for Homer Simpson. It's cartoonish appearance will suit the show well, however I doubt that real people will want to be caught dead in the thing, it is without a doubt one of the ugliest vehicles I have ever seen, funny because in pictures it doesn't look too bad. In person the hood looks too long, the roof tries to appear squat but fails, imagine an early 80's Ford Fairmont wagon in its first 5 seconds of sitting the scrap car crusher and you kind of get the idea.

As someone who has owned various Fords over the years, Torino GT, Taurus LX, Taurus SHO to name some of the better ones (and I am only in my early 40's), and coming from a family that standardized on Ford many years ago, I cannot believe the crap they are trying to sell us at this time. The Focus was past due several years ago, the Fusions name is right up there with Probe without the female induced gynecological cringe, and Lincoln is now no more than a trim level for other Ford vehicles. Sad to say it as no one would support the traditional big 3 more than I, but if Ford doesn't start designing more vehicles that people will buy, watch Edge sales drop off at year two, then they deserve to go the way Walter P.'s company did, does anyone have the number Cerebus?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a nice looking vehicle.

That and anyone who is a Torino/SHO wife beating, raw meat eating homophobe wouldn't be in the market for this kind of vehicle anyway.

The people that will buy this will be university educated and likely to buy a new car, as opposed to having 3 1980's Camaros up on blocks in the front yard.

If ever I saw a car destined for a cartoon show it would have to be the Ford Flex I saw motoring around Oakville Ontario the other day. This vehicle would be perfect for Homer Simpson. It's cartoonish appearance will suit the show well, however I doubt that real people will want to be caught dead in the thing, it is without a doubt one of the ugliest vehicles I have ever seen, funny because in pictures it doesn't look too bad. In person the hood looks too long, the roof tries to appear squat but fails, imagine an early 80's Ford Fairmont wagon in its first 5 seconds of sitting the scrap car crusher and you kind of get the idea.

As someone who has owned various Fords over the years, Torino GT, Taurus LX, Taurus SHO to name some of the better ones (and I am only in my early 40's), and coming from a family that standardized on Ford many years ago, I cannot believe the crap they are trying to sell us at this time. The Focus was past due several years ago, the Fusions name is right up there with Probe without the female induced gynecological cringe, and Lincoln is now no more than a trim level for other Ford vehicles. Sad to say it as no one would support the traditional big 3 more than I, but if Ford doesn't start designing more vehicles that people will buy, watch Edge sales drop off at year two, then they deserve to go the way Walter P.'s company did, does anyone have the number Cerebus?

Back when I was selling digital cameras, people always told me which brand is best. While I believe that Canon is the best digital camera manufacturer, I wanted my customers to make their own decisions. One of the things I did was point out that most every brand brings something unique to the table. For Canon, it was the high level of quality that you saw throughout the whole line. For Panasonic, it was optical image stabilization on every model of camera. For HP, it was the vast photo editing capability that was built into the camera itself.

I do the same thing for cars manufacturers. GM has the G8 coming out as well as the Lambda CUVs and the new Saturn Astra. Chrysler has the Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel and the upcoming Challenger. Ford...well, I don't know. They have nothing out currently, or coming out in the future that gets me excited.

Sorry to offend, but I went out of my way to find this site and post this information. As someone familiar with SN95 (modifying an existing platform and DEW98 great chassis for the time) I know what the once great company of Ford is capable of and I see non of this today here or across the oceans. Mark my word, the Flex will flop and the Edge will fall off and American tax payers will end up footing the bill for another turn around of a once proud American icon only to have it sold to an Asian company, I mean come on a guy from Home Depot at the helm????

I think it's a nice looking vehicle.

That and anyone who is a Torino/SHO wife beating, raw meat eating homophobe wouldn't be in the market for this kind of vehicle anyway.

The people that will buy this will be university educated and likely to buy a new car, as opposed to having 3 1980's Camaros up on blocks in the front yard.

No, the people that buy this will be people trading their Scion xBs in for something a bit bigger.

Back when I was selling digital cameras, people always told me which brand is best. While I believe that Canon is the best digital camera manufacturer, I wanted my customers to make their own decisions. One of the things I did was point out that most every brand brings something unique to the table. For Canon, it was the high level of quality that you saw throughout the whole line. For Panasonic, it was optical image stabilization on every model of camera. For HP, it was the vast photo editing capability that was built into the camera itself.

I do the same thing for cars manufacturers. GM has the G8 coming out as well as the Lambda CUVs and the new Saturn Astra. Chrysler has the Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel and the upcoming Challenger. Ford...well, I don't know. They have nothing out currently, or coming out in the future that gets me excited.

You know the sad thing is I can't think of anything coming out from any company that really gets my interest aside from the upcoming Challenger, which I know I will not buy, it's just a cool ass car. But frankly, there has been a hell of a lot more let downs from the auto industry in the past few years than anything else. I was eager to see the new Altima, . . . meh. Altima couple . . . . meh meh. The new Aura, . . . decent but no 4 cylinder, letdown. The new Accord, . . . . ugly as hell. The sky / solstice, . . . . overpriced, cheap interior, piss poor reliability. Frankly I personally think the Fusion is the best looking midsize sedan from a body perspective, but the interior is seriously behind the power curve. ALL crossovers, meh, just a lowered SUV. The new civic, ugly. Honda Element, baby brother to the ugly Flex. The new Malibu, great until you get to the front end and frankly the decision to put cheap ass looking wheels on everything but the LTZ is a mistake.

What I do like? Actually I do like the new Nitro / Liberty. The F150 is decent but I don't need a pickup. The Tacoma in crew cab with the offroad suspension, but it's overpriced. The Dodge RAM pickup, but again I don't need a pickup. Hell guys, at this point I'm thinking about just buying a stripped down Jeep Wrangler and after marketing the shit out of it.

You know the sad thing is I can't think of anything coming out from any company that really gets my interest aside from the upcoming Challenger, which I know I will not buy, it's just a cool ass car. But frankly, there has been a hell of a lot more let downs from the auto industry in the past few years than anything else. I was eager to see the new Altima, . . . meh. Altima couple . . . . meh meh. The new Aura, . . . decent but no 4 cylinder, letdown. The new Accord, . . . . ugly as hell. The sky / solstice, . . . . overpriced, cheap interior, piss poor reliability. Frankly I personally think the Fusion is the best looking midsize sedan from a body perspective, but the interior is seriously behind the power curve. ALL crossovers, meh, just a lowered SUV. The new civic, ugly. Honda Element, baby brother to the ugly Flex. The new Malibu, great until you get to the front end and frankly the decision to put cheap ass looking wheels on everything but the LTZ is a mistake.

What I do like? Actually I do like the new Nitro / Liberty. The F150 is decent but I don't need a pickup. The Tacoma in crew cab with the offroad suspension, but it's overpriced. The Dodge RAM pickup, but again I don't need a pickup. Hell guys, at this point I'm thinking about just buying a stripped down Jeep Wrangler and after marketing the shit out of it.

I think this just should ring a bell in your head and yo ushould realize that you tastes might be out of step with the reality of the marketplace .. Ford is satisfying the markets that will generate profit and sales for them and the Flex was met with some darn impressive response after its introduction ... I do not konw whether it will sell well - we will have to wait until it actually sells, but in a world filled with copy-cat SUV looking crossovers, a wagon look-a-like gets (all of sudden actually0 a lot of people excited .. and the car seems ot be engineered and built well enough to actually stand up to their expectations once they sit inside (unlike say Edge, which let down some people)..

the Flex is to excite people by polarizing their opinions .. if everyone is "OK" with your design, you will have to sell the car on features and on practical comparisons - if you car makes people go gaga over its design ,they will buy it even if it has some shortcomings (look how well the 300 sold for3 years after its introduction and that was one sub par vehicle right there .. but its design made people not notice.

The Five Hundred / Taurus is failing because of bland looks - despite being about top-of-the class in all practical aspects .. the Flex takes that great car turns it into a vehicle that makes people passionate about it .. it is a very good recipe for success ..

Igor

Mark my word, the Flex will flop and the Edge will fall off and American tax payers will end up footing the bill for another turn around of a once proud American icon only to have it sold to an Asian company, I mean come on a guy from Home Depot at the helm????

Uh. If you're so 'buy American', why is your alias the name of a German car?

But anyway, I'm sure many will mark your words here.

Sad to say, but your opinion of the Flex is just that: Your opinion.

Detroit got as screwed up as it is today because managers went off their opinions, not what the market wanted. The market wants the Flex, and time will establish that quite clearly.

You may think it's ugly, but that's fine. It's not for you.

Edited by RichardJensen

I think this just should ring a bell in your head and yo ushould realize that you tastes might be out of step with the reality of the marketplace .. Ford is satisfying the markets that will generate profit and sales for them and the Flex was met with some darn impressive response after its introduction ... I do not konw whether it will sell well - we will have to wait until it actually sells, but in a world filled with copy-cat SUV looking crossovers, a wagon look-a-like gets (all of sudden actually0 a lot of people excited .. and the car seems ot be engineered and built well enough to actually stand up to their expectations once they sit inside (unlike say Edge, which let down some people)..

the Flex is to excite people by polarizing their opinions .. if everyone is "OK" with your design, you will have to sell the car on features and on practical comparisons - if you car makes people go gaga over its design ,they will buy it even if it has some shortcomings (look how well the 300 sold for3 years after its introduction and that was one sub par vehicle right there .. but its design made people not notice.

The Five Hundred / Taurus is failing because of bland looks - despite being about top-of-the class in all practical aspects .. the Flex takes that great car turns it into a vehicle that makes people passionate about it .. it is a very good recipe for success ..

Igor

Uh. If you're so 'buy American', why is your alias the name of a German car?

But anyway, I'm sure many will mark your words here.

Sad to say, but your opinion of the Flex is just that: Your opinion.

Detroit got as screwed up as it is today because managers went off their opinions, not what the market wanted. The market wants the Flex, and time will establish that quite clearly.

You may think it's ugly, but that's fine. It's not for you.

Guys, we didn't ask for your permission, or your blessing or your justification about market realities. It's ugly, case closed.

Guys, we didn't ask for your permission, or your blessing or your justification about market realities. It's ugly, case closed.

that is the point .. it is ugly TO YOU - many other people LOVE the design and WILL buy it .. if you do not like it .. buy something else .. that is the whole point .... Ford cannot please everyone .. they are pleasing MANY so those MANY will buy their product at good price ...

we are not telling you that you should not fell it is ugly.. we are asking yo uto realize that there are other OPINIONS out there on the beauty of the Flex .. which are equally if not MORE valid .. are you in the market for a 7passanger crossover? if not, you are not the target market for the Flex - so Ford could not care less about your opinion .. if you are .. well you are ..and Ford lost you .. and you have other options .. Ford is banking on the fact that 100k of people WILL buy the Flex ... and we will not know whether that will happen until the car is actually on sale.

Igor

If I substituted "It" with "Your mamma" in the above statement, it's irrationality would neither increase nor decrease. The statement would be just as foolish as it is presently.

Don't throw a temper tantrum Richard. We just happen to think the Flex is ugly. We are entitled to our opinion. You are entitled to disagree with it. Scolding 928 about it is not going to change his mind, likely it will only drive him further into the "It's ugly" camp. The damn thing is ugly. Ford makes some nice vehicles, as I already pointed out above. This isn't going to be one of them.

See that's the whole thing. You say, "the damn thing IS ugly".

Naturally, I assume -you- mean to say, "I think it's ugly"; with 928s4, it's not so easy to tell. He could very well believe that somehow he has been appointed one of the gods of automotive styling, and that what he says goes.

Hey, anybody who gets all hot and bothered over a 928 has a brain that works a little differently from most. It's the pop-up headlights: they're such an expression of German design superiority. And the S4 model, oooooooh! At least it's not a Pacer.

that is the point .. it is ugly TO YOU - many other people LOVE the design and WILL buy it .. if you do not like it .. buy something else .. that is the whole point .... Ford cannot please everyone .. they are pleasing MANY so those MANY will buy their product at good price ...

exactly.

I find the entire Nissan lineup to be ugly. Obviously, their buyers do not agree with me.

we are not telling you that you should not fell it is ugly.. we are asking yo uto realize that there are other OPINIONS out there on the beauty of the Flex .. which are equally if not MORE valid ..

Let me just respond by saying that when it comes to ones perspective on and appreciation of what qualifies as beautiful or attractive that no one persons opinion is "MORE" valid than any other persons. Anyone who thinks that way is a pompous arrogant ass who is full of himself and just needs to get over himself.

As for the rest of your line of thought, I agree.

So 928s4 and Blackhorse think the Flex is ugly. So what. The two of you don't make up the whole market. I personally think minivans are hideous. That didn't stop millions of people from buying them. Many hated the original Taurus when it came out in 1985. It was different from anything else out on the road. As it turned out, Ford was on the mark. Within a couple of years the Taurus was the best selling car in the US.

If the Flex offers a reasonable alternative to the traditional minivan I would expect it to sell well. I would guess that neither 928 or Blackhorse are in the market for a Flex type of vehicle. You are certainly entitled to your opinions. I guess time will tell. The 928 was not without its detractors in the styling department.

The Edge appears to be doing well. I would expect that Ford will continue to make improvements in it to keep it selling well. As long as the lessons of the recent past are observed, Ford looks to be in pretty good shape.