2009 Lincoln MKS Unleashed

suv_guy_19

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The MKS looks fantastic in RED!

It looks... ok, in red.

But this thing looks sharper than James Bond's tuxedo in black!

Anyway, I think this will effectively fill a void in Lincoln for the time being. But a FWD-based V6 isn't going to win many converts from RWD V8.

This car can go up against the Acura RL and the Audi A6 without too much trouble. But don't expect to win a match against an E-Class, 5-Series, CTS, or even the Lexus GS.

This powertrain NEEDS direct injection, PRONTO! Without at least 310 horsepower BASE, this car looks like a mechanical "also-ran." Let's hope its styling and amenities are enough to keep the public interested until Lincoln can produce a true world-class luxury saloon...

No good shots from the rear?

Exterior looks better than I expected, looks best from the rear/side shot, I like the taillights, they better be LED's though. ACC and the new nav screen are huge steps up, 5 more horsepower than the Taurus? That's 60 less than the Infinity 3.7, I hope the TF engine gets noticed by the time it comes out a year or more from now, cause this thing's gonna get slammed til then.

Who was it that said the N/A 3.7 was going to have 330 horsepower??

Hey guys, this car is the best looking luxury car I have ever seen, much better than the XF, 5, E, M45, CTS IMHO!!!!!

As for the 270hp number, remember how the 3.5 was supposed to have 250hp? It ended up having 15 more hp when it was rated, so the base MKS engine could have 285hp, which is pretty good. Remember, at 38,000 dollars (which is an amazing price!!!!!) the base car will do battle with the 3, C, G37, CTS, A4, while the higher end models (including the TF) will compete with the 5, E, M45, GS, etc of the world but with far more hp. GO LINCOLN!!!!!!

I want one BAAD! I love this car! But Richard, I'm sorry, Black is still my preference, particularly the Tuxedo black :)

I am still disappointed to see the amount of black plastic in the car, it doesn't look as good as my MKX in some areas but I'm hoping a closer encounter will cure those concerns. I'm hoping for some nicer two-tone interior colors, the interiors pictures don't really show off the interior color scheme I prefer (I like taupes and very light grays or beiges with contrasting charcoal).

270 hp out of the new 3.7, but doesn't the 3.5 pull 265? What happened? I don't mind the power of the 3.5, but a smoother and less hard working engine note would be nice for a Lincoln so I'm hoping the 3.7 improves things.

I'm surprised to see AWD standard, but I'm also surprised to see the MSRP likely starting so far above $35K. That does leave a small gap betwen the MKZ, which is likely moving up market to at least overlap on the bottom end. Unfortunately, it starting to sound like this will easily sticker at 45-50K when fully equipped, above my price point so I probably won't be an MKS owner anytime soon :(

I do like the innovations (for Ford), this is a REAL flagship Lincoln. I still remember when Licnoln was always the flagship Ford. In the past decade, it really had just become a fully equipped Ford.

So all you keypad fans, what do you think of Ford's new way way of hiding the keypad? Very cool! It's about time they did something new after 25 years.

Otherwise, the features offered are nothing new, just new to Ford. Adaptive HID headlamps are a welcome sight, especially since the MKS concept didn't even have HID headlamps! I'm really excited to see keyless ignition, I would love not to stick a key in the ignition anymore when I get in. I assume the doors unlock as well when you approach the car (or touch the keypad). Keep in mind Nissan Altima offers this tech so it's not exactly a luxury feature anymore.

Adaptive Cruise Control is another exciting feature for those long highway business trips. I've owned many Lincolns with many features I never used so it's good to see useful features added.

Welcome back Rain Sensing Wipers! We missed you! (those of you who recall when I bought the 2005 LS will also remember how upset I was that they eliminated rain-sensing wipers).

Overall, if I can afford the version I want, I'll take one! ;)

The only gripe I have with the car is:

where hell can build one on the Lincoln site, like it says in the Press release?

The interior looks pretty decent, but the area around the shifter gate and just below the HVAC/Radio controls is blah city. Maybe it will look better in a lighter color. I'm bored with Black/Grey Interiors that I've had on my past 4 cars.

I wouldn't sweat the engine output, for all we know the TF 3.7L V6 might not put out that much more power, say over 320 HP due to transmission/drivetrain issues.

I like the car a lot. I think the design is a nice change for Lincoln and I'm looking foward to what the reviewers say when they take it for a test drive. It will sell very well.

Reading some of the comments here and on other sites, there are those who do nothing but bash the car before it has even been tested - negative comments only because it is a FORD product. If Ford made ducks, they would be in season all year long. No matter what happens in quality surveys, people's attitudes need to be changed....a very big task indeed.

There are also those who love to complain that "this part looks like this car and that part looks like that car."

Personally I am concerned the way that Ford copied Bentley by giving it 4 wheels......and how dare they put a steering wheel in it.......Kia uses steering wheels!

The new marketing guy at Ford has a big job ahead of him. Not only does he have to coordinate a cohesive advertising campaign, this guy is facing an uphill battle about changing people's attitudes towards anything that Ford makes.

Ford sales are doing well in Canada (with an even smaller product line than the U.S.). They have a great campaign that they keep playing over and over here "Built for life in Canada!"

This is something that Ford is lacking in the U.S. and I hope the new guy changes it quickly.

Edited by MarkFive

the coke bottle profiled and rounded corner Continentals.

Rich, coke bottle profile usually refers to the 60's styling, featuring a pronounced rise of contour in the rear quarter over the rear wheel. Think Mustang up through 73, Charger up through 74...... It's a styling tool I really like and would like to see return some day.

I

270 hp out of the new 3.7, but doesn't the 3.5 pull 265? What happened? I don't mind the power of the 3.5, but a smoother and less hard working engine note would be nice for a Lincoln so I'm hoping the 3.7 improves things.

Borg,

I think you hit it. This 3.7 is most likely tuned to bring the touque curve down lower in the RPM range. This is not a sport sedan, and with the auto shifting the gears, 99% of the buyers would never wind this engine up. Good move by Ford not trying to win a paper hp war.

I doubt this steal me away from the LS, but I will give it a test drive or two.

Borg,

I think you hit it. This 3.7 is most likely tuned to bring the touque curve down lower in the RPM range. This is not a sport sedan, and with the auto shifting the gears, 99% of the buyers would never wind this engine up. Good move by Ford not trying to win a paper hp war.

I doubt this steal me away from the LS, but I will give it a test drive or two.

I'm a strong believer in the notion that real world performance is far more important than track-testing. Horsepower means very little if you are stuck in traffic all day long and just want an engine to handle a wide variety of conditions comfortably. I don't need to be pinned to my seat, but I need the engine to respond when prompted and find the power when it's needed most. A good transmission and a strong smooth engine will make me happier than a restless drivetrain that shifts hard through the torque band. I love the LS, but it encouraged angry driving because it only knew one way to be driven, hard and fast. I find myself unexpectedly happier with a tamer drivetrain.

Edited by BORG

I think that was the DI-TIVCT version, the 272HP in the MKS doesn't have DI.

Supposedly the base D3 front end can't handle more power right now. They had to make significant changes for the Twin Force version and it's simply not ready yet. Then we could see 300 hp from the 3.7L. It's not the engine.

The VQ37VHR runs on premimum, just remember that. I'd also like to see the difference in power delivery from the D35 to D37, I highly doubt someone at Ford would green light spending more money on engine development when a premimum tune on the D35 would have acheived the same if not more horsepower.

Digging the technology, there are a lot of things about this car that is finally nice to see on Ford products. The NAV display looks very clear and modern, unlike current Ford NAV displays. I really like the interior as well, it seems craft very nicely.

And what did I tell you folks about pricing a few days ago?

I'd expect this vehicle to come in mid-pack from a testing perspective. The M35 and 5er are still a step above, the E Class is long in tooth and $$$$, the Lexus is just too soft, the RL....well nuff said and the A6 doesn't bring much more to the table.

I kinda like it.

Edited by Michael Reynolds