Lincoln names are confusing apparently ...

SVT_MAN

I wouldn't go so far as to say productS. Product? Yes, the CTS is nice...if you can get past the egads-what-the-hell-are-people-thinking looks of it. The rest of their lineup? Ehhhh....not so much.
Well the entire V-Series is pretty nice if you ask me. The non-V STS and XLR are nice too (both available with RWD and V8 engines). Not to mention the Escalade is one of the most popular luxury SUVs on the market.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the entire V-Series is pretty nice if you ask me. The non-V STS and XLR are nice too (both available with RWD and V8 engines). Not to mention the Escalade is one of the most popular luxury SUVs on the market.

The STS is lacking any way you slice it, engines and drivetrain to suit your tastes or not. The XLR sure looks neat, but for the price, the Corvette is a better deal in every respect -- and looks nicer to boot. The Escalade sells well, but I think it looked better PRIOR to the redesign. Why does everyone who defends Cadillac always leave out their best-selling (and woefully outdated) DTS? Guess who is buying them? Fleets and blue hairs. They still haven't shaken that old-man's-car image as much as some people want to think. Are they ahead of Lincoln? Sure. But the distance isn't as great as some want to believe.

The STS is lacking any way you slice it, engines and drivetrain to suit your tastes or not. The XLR sure looks neat, but for the price, the Corvette is a better deal in every respect -- and looks nicer to boot. The Escalade sells well, but I think it looked better PRIOR to the redesign. Why does everyone who defends Cadillac always leave out their best-selling (and woefully outdated) DTS? Guess who is buying them? Fleets and blue hairs. They still haven't shaken that old-man's-car image as much as some people want to think. Are they ahead of Lincoln? Sure. But the distance isn't as great as some want to believe.

Just because old people buy a model of car does not make it bad. They are customers too.

It's only the STS that is selling poorly. The DTS was Cadillac's best-selling model in 2006 and is still wire-to-wire with the CTS through October of this year.

Since the introduction of the DTS and STS some five years ago in a booming premium market segment, sales of both models have been sluggish. August sales of the DTS and STS stood at 33,368 and 13,156 units, down 13.9 percent and 24.7 percent on the previous year, signalling turbulent times ahead for any replacement models.

“So arguably, we don't need two entries there anymore, given the shrinkage of that segment,” Jim Taylor, Cadillac's general manager, said last week in an interview with Automotive News.

Since the introduction of the DTS and STS some five years ago in a booming premium market segment, sales of both models have been sluggish. August sales of the DTS and STS stood at 33,368 and 13,156 units, down 13.9 percent and 24.7 percent on the previous year, signalling turbulent times ahead for any replacement models.

“So arguably, we don't need two entries there anymore, given the shrinkage of that segment,” Jim Taylor, Cadillac's general manager, said last week in an interview with Automotive News.

The DTS is still only about 1000-2000 sales behind the CTS, so by that logic, the CTS should be replaced too. I'm glad they ARE replacing the STS and DTS with one vehicle though, as I really don't see any significant difference between the two to validate the need for separate models, but I'm just pointing out that the new vehicle is likely needed more to make up for the STS's sluggish sales as opposed to the DTS's.

The DTS is still only about 1000-2000 sales behind the CTS, so by that logic, the CTS should be replaced too. I'm glad they ARE replacing the STS and DTS with one vehicle though, as I really don't see any significant difference between the two to validate the need for separate models, but I'm just pointing out that the new vehicle is likely needed more to make up for the STS's sluggish sales as opposed to the DTS's.

I don't think you can really compare sales of one model with sales of another. Some cars can be profitable at lower volumes, some can't.

I agree the STS is much worse but my point was the DTS is also selling less than they'd like.

All I know about Caddy is that they are advertising the hell out of the CTS in this area (SoFla) as of late. See more their ads than just about any other make/model, with the Accord a somewhat close second. It's been a while since I saw the gentlemen's car ad.

On another note, Yota is advertising $6000 in incentives for the Tundra again.

I don't think you can really compare sales of one model with sales of another. Some cars can be profitable at lower volumes, some can't.

I agree the STS is much worse but my point was the DTS is also selling less than they'd like.

How many DTS's would they LIKE to sell? 6000 a month? 8000? 100,000? It's still selling pretty darn well for a fullsize luxury yacht. That's not to say a replacement can't do better. The question is, will they come out with something that alienates the blue-hair crowd just for the sake of changing their image, or will they continue the traditional floatiness of the ride and sedate styling for the sake of "safe" sales?