My review of the MKS at the LA Auto Show

FStephenMasek

I saw it on the rotating stand at the LA Auto show yesterday and came away with a negative impression. One with AWD and the top package has an MSRP of $45,000, and I just do not see that much more value over a Taurus / Sable. The 2008 Malibu has a much nicer and more expensive looking interior. The features it has which are not offered on the Taurus and Sable (telescoping steering column, better headlights, rain sensing wipers, cooled seats, etc.) are probably worth $5,000. The trunk and trunk opening is significantly smaller than those on the Taurus and Sable, significantly lessening the utility of the car.

Rather than waste their effort on this, Ford would have benefited by adding the features from this car as options on the Taurus and Sable, and re-doing the interior of those cars.

I saw it on the rotating stand at the LA Auto show yesterday and came away with a negative impression. One with AWD and the top package has an MSRP of $45,000, and I just do not see that much more value over a Taurus / Sable. The 2008 Malibu has a much nicer and more expensive looking interior. The features it has which are not offered on the Taurus and Sable (telescoping steering column, better headlights, rain sensing wipers, cooled seats, etc.) are probably worth $5,000. The trunk and trunk opening is significantly smaller than those on the Taurus and Sable, significantly lessening the utility of the car.

Rather than waste their effort on this, Ford would have benefited by adding the features from this car as options on the Taurus and Sable, and re-doing the interior of those cars.

Except for the fact that it looks a million times better, has a bigger engine, and has more features than almost any car at its price....No one would take a Taurus/Sable serious in the lux segment.

Edited by suv_guy_19

• 2 weeks later...

What we are witnessing is one of the biggest "crap shoots" in the industry !

A big part of "The Way Forward" plan, is the experiment that says, the customers are more interested in new sheet metal or new interiors than a "whole new package". So hang some new sheet metal and/or a new interior on an old "platform" (the '08 Taurus and MKS are on the old S80 platform) possibly with an old powertrain and see if the public is gullible enough to buy it..

Now this plan did not work very well with the Five Hundred, but a big part of that was the Ho-Hum sheet metal and interior.

The '08 Taurus is selling better (sale are still not where they would really like it, but ...). So the question is, is it the new grill, the new powertrain or simply the fact that it now called a Taurus ? I'm no market analyst, but I'm certain that Alan would like to know the unbiased truth on this.

What we are witnessing is one of the biggest "crap shoots" in the industry !

A big part of "The Way Forward" plan, is the experiment that says, the customers are more interested in new sheet metal or new interiors than a "whole new package". So hang some new sheet metal and/or a new interior on an old "platform" (the '08 Taurus and MKS are on the old S80 platform) possibly with an old powertrain and see if the public is gullible enough to buy it..

Now this plan did not work very well with the Five Hundred, but a big part of that was the Ho-Hum sheet metal and interior.

The '08 Taurus is selling better (sale are still not where they would really like it, but ...). So the question is, is it the new grill, the new powertrain or simply the fact that it now called a Taurus ? I'm no market analyst, but I'm certain that Alan would like to know the unbiased truth on this.

the 08 taurus is not selling better than the 500 check the nov. sales

Except for the fact that it looks a million times better, has a bigger engine, and has more features than almost any car at its price....No one would take a Taurus/Sable serious in the lux segment.

Along with that question, ask yourself. Are people going to take the MKS seriously? For the past 10 years Lincoln has been nothing but rebadged Fords.

Along with that question, ask yourself. Are people going to take the MKS seriously? For the past 10 years Lincoln has been nothing but rebadged Fords.

A. You think platform sharing and rebadging are the same thing. They're not. Get over it.

B. Which Ford did they rebadge for the LS?

A. You think platform sharing and rebadging are the same thing. They're not. Get over it.

The Lincoln LS was unlike anything else in the Ford lineup. Unfortunately Ford "taurused" it. At least I'm happy to see that these cars still have following among young people.

http://sads.myspace.com//Modules/Search/Pa...ncoln+ls+owners

Taurused = Let it rot away with no major updates/improvements and little to no marketing

According to his definiton of badge engineering, it was the Tbird...

The Navigator, Aviator, Blackwood, Mark LT and Zephyr/MKZ were cosmetically altered Fords with some exclusive content and different badges.

The LS and Town Car are unique and exclusive. And since we are talking ten years back, the Continental and Mark VIII was also exclusive resting on heavily modified donor platforms of Ford vehicles.

However, the MKS does look like a rebadged and regrilled BMW or Infiniti with Hyundai taillamps and a vintage Cutlass Supreme grille. At least it looks like a copy of a current generation car and not a late 90's Passat/Audi composition.

Edited by Watchdevil

The Lincoln LS was unlike anything else in the Ford lineup. Unfortunately Ford "taurused" it. At least I'm happy to see that these cars still have following among young people.

Like most domestic luxury cars, they have a following because of the rapid depreciation they are affordable in the used car market. This is a market where good used cars with a badge like Lincoln or Cadillac has afforable blingy clout for those who cannot afford brand new. It seems since Cadillac has reinvented itself, the clout has a spilled over effect on Cadillacs in the used car market. The same can be said of the LS or any previous late model Lincoln.

Platform wise, the LS is a great car to own if you can accept the Mitsubishi Galant styling. I suppose if someone gave me one or it was dirt cheap I wouldn't complain about the styling.

Edited by Watchdevil