MKS Fancruft: Concept design versus production design

Roadrunner

Let's talk Lincoln MKS.

Check out this image:

http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/feb6lin.jpg

What you see is a MKS -- with a nice, full, toothy grill as also seen on the MKZ.

Then check out the MKS today, influenced by the MKR with a split in the grill.

Ack!

See, the full-grill MKS looks classy. I just don't know what to do about that split-grill MKS, but I really think it distracts from the beauty of the car. Frankly I'm surprised by how many positive reactions the split-grill MKS is getting.

What are you thinking about this shift in design?

[u]A guide for everybody[/u]
MKS - full size sedan, tuned D3 chassis
MKZ - midsize sedan, CD3
MKR - roadster/coupe, ?? chassis
MKX - CUV vehicle, CD3 chassis as used on the Edge
Town Car - none of these

Edited by Roadrunner

What are you thinking about this shift in design?

Personally, I much prefer the new split-grill design to the MKZ inspired grille. The split-grille gives the car more personality.

As to why they did it, I suspect the largely positive reaction to the Lincoln concept at last year's NAIAS prompted the designers to change course.

I've never liked the full-grille on the original MKS...it makes the sedan look more Asian (especially like an Acura). Some complain that the split grille looks too much like an Oldsmobile, but I'd rather it look like an Oldsmobile than an Acura. The front end is much more distinctive now, whereas before it looked pretty bland.

I've never liked the full-grille on the original MKS...it makes the sedan look more Asian (especially like an Acura). Some complain that the split grille looks too much like an Oldsmobile, but I'd rather it look like an Oldsmobile than an Acura. The front end is much more distinctive now, whereas before it looked pretty bland.

Yes I totally agree...I remember RJ trumping up the MKS concept when it came out and I was really underwhelmed with it at the NY Auto Show. The production MKS fixed that problem.

I too agree that the previous full grill gave it an asian look to it. It just looked like anything, but nothing specific. Acura comes to mind. The new simple fix of splitting it makes it a bit "different", enough that it won't be confused with something asian.

I just wonder if that'll float to other Lincoln vehicles since there's really no family resemblance with one another...

I too agree that the previous full grill gave it an asian look to it. It just looked like anything, but nothing specific. Acura comes to mind. The new simple fix of splitting it makes it a bit "different", enough that it won't be confused with something asian.

I just wonder if that'll float to other Lincoln vehicles since there's really no family resemblance with one another...

I suppose the fact it looked Asian was what made me give a positive feeling on it.

It looked like a Lexus, unlike the split grill which just... no.

I can see it work much better if the Lincoln emblem was placed elsewhere, or preferably was a hood ornament.

From what I understand, it will be transitioned on one form or another to ALL of Lincoln's vehicles, including the SUV's. Not really sure how well it'll transition to such a large vehicle, but I suppose it can be done if the scaling is done right. You'll most likely see the split grille on the '09 MKZ and MKFlex next....

From what I understand, it will be transitioned on one form or another to ALL of Lincoln's vehicles, including the SUV's. Not really sure how well it'll transition to such a large vehicle, but I suppose it can be done if the scaling is done right. You'll most likely see the split grille on the '09 MKZ and MKFlex next....

I remember several years ago when the 'waterfall' grille was Lincoln's familial grille. Now its becoming this, which as you said, I believe will be spread throughout the lineup.