Attention to Detail

J-150

I think Ford has some great driver friendly interiors. However, some things need a little more attention.

For example, the headlight dial is almost the same as the climate control dials. Almost, but not identical. It looks out of place. Point 2, if the climate dials have a backlit line to see your setting at night, why doesn't the headlight dial?

I realize it seems like a small gripe, but its attention to detail that long term owners notice.

If it's dark out, I would hope you'd be able to tell what setting your headlights are on already. :lol:

True, but how about a headlight switch that stays lit? In other words, when you turn off you headlights, the knob is still backlit untill the ignition is turned off.

I think Ford has some great driver friendly interiors. However, some things need a little more attention.

For example, the headlight dial is almost the same as the climate control dials. Almost, but not identical. It looks out of place. Point 2, if the climate dials have a backlit line to see your setting at night, why doesn't the headlight dial?

I realize it seems like a small gripe, but its attention to detail that long term owners notice.

You have raised a very valid point. Just like why can't LED's be used in dashboards instead of small bulbs that burn out and are almost impossible to change? :headscratch:

surprisingly, in a well lit city, some people do drive around with only the parking lights on.

Well they would probably do it anyway, regardless of the switch design. I do agree with your overall assessment though. A few cents spent here and there would go a long way toward increasing positive perception of quality.

Well they would probably do it anyway, regardless of the switch design. I do agree with your overall assessment though. A few cents spent here and there would go a long way toward increasing positive perception of quality.

Good point. Some people are born stupid. Best we can do is steer clear of them on the roads.

which then cause a lot of grief and cost to have replaced.

LED's DO burn out/ damaged. I had one die on me but it was a faulty alternator/ voltage regulator that allowed a spike through, I think? Anyhow, it cost m-e-b-b-e $1 more at the local Radio Shack for the replacement. No biggie.

And LEDs are whats in the Mustang MyColor lights....isn't it? The new Flex has ambient lights? LED's?

As for the headlight switch being lit until the ignition off... sounds like an extra touch that cheaply adds value to the Ford ownership experience. (IMO, every knob should be somehow lit to reduce fumbling around in the dark.

As for the headlight switch being lit until the ignition off... sounds like an extra touch that cheaply adds value to the Ford ownership experience. (IMO, every knob should be somehow lit to reduce fumbling around in the dark.

when I look at the dash of my F150, I see a lit guage console. Well lit radio and climate controls. Lit power window/lock switches. And best of all lit buttons on the steering wheel. It's like an airplane cockpit.

The headlight options are lit, so to use the same backlit dial as the climate control makes a lot of sense.

Now aside from the backlit indicator line, the dial itself is not the same. They are different enough to bring up my initial thought on attention to detail.

when I look at the dash of my F150, I see a lit guage console. Well lit radio and climate controls. Lit power window/lock switches. And best of all lit buttons on the steering wheel. It's like an airplane cockpit.

The headlight options are lit, so to use the same backlit dial as the climate control makes a lot of sense.

Now aside from the backlit indicator line, the dial itself is not the same. They are different enough to bring up my initial thought on attention to detail.

You know what I wish companies would start to light up. The Turn signal/ high low beam/ wiper stick.

First, let me say my 2007 Mustang GT/California Special is outrstanding. The line folks did a great job. No squeeks, rattles, loose parts, etc. And, she runs great, especially on the long trips my wife and I take. We live in South Dakota, and it is 600 miles to Minneapolis and 500 to Denver. One day each way on the Interstates, cruising at 75 (in SD).

So, why am I writing, well it is the little, cost cutting things, such as no hush panel under the dash, just cut carpet (too short for sound deading) and lots of wires hanging down. No dead pedal, come on, at least put one on the 5 speeds. An overall lack of sound deading which allows a lot of road noise into the passenger area.

Then there is the wire bundle hanging down over the dead pedal area. My left foot is always catching this...why wasn't it tucked away? And, no it can't moved, it is too short to try to put behind anything. Also, this is another common complaint on at least one forum.

My biggest complaint is the radio face, which is impossible to see in bright sunlight. The radio is great, and we love the Sat radio option for those trips through no where :) but, come on it's 2007 not 1960, you can do better.

The continual leaking of the master cylinder cap (a common complaint on the 05-08 Mustang forums) is also something I cannot fathom. We have been puting them on cars for decades. Replacing the cap does not solve the problem. I just check it every time I am under the hood and wide it clean to prevent damage to the painted areas. Other folks have had major warranty claims for damage. Check the forums.

Small things, yes, but irritating on a $31000. vehicle. Deal killers, no way. This is my fourth Mustang and I think it is the best built of them all. Again, my thanks to the men and women who built her.

• 2 weeks later...

This was the thing that my wife's VW Passat did very well. About all swithgear was lit, and all of it was either the same shade of red or blue. This may not seem like a very big deal, but I do think it promotes the idea of "I got more than I spent". My '93 ranger has differing colors on any/every control system. The climate control differs from the radio, which differs from the tach/speedometer.

I won't take anything away from my ranger's reliablity, but it would go a long way if there wasn't such a disparity in the lit colors.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been blasted over and over again on tis site for saying that Ford should add cheap, little things to their automobiles just to show that they are actually capable of going that extra mile.

On our 04 Expedition (and I assume F-150 as well), the headlight options are light, but the actual 'choice' dial isn't, which may be what some are referring to here?

I see, well, in that case then, I agree with you, it should be illuminated. Maybe Ford figures you're able to feel where the dial is in relation to which illuminated icon it's pointing to?

true, but I put it in the same camp as backlit window switches and cruise control buttons. They are backlit even though one should know where they are.

true, but I put it in the same camp as backlit window switches and cruise control buttons. They are backlit even though one should know where they are.

I agree with you, the switch should be illuminated.

What about the window lock button or the mirror controls? Do you think they should be illuminated as well?

I agree with you, the switch should be illuminated.

What about the window lock button or the mirror controls? Do you think they should be illuminated as well?

that's a tough one.

those I could live without. But they certainly would look nice if illuminated.