MKX awd and snow

semco

I am ready to get my 2008 MKX AWD, but wondering how good is the vehicle in snow, because I live in Rocky mountains and it is good to have awd.

Also is it 50x50 between front and rear wheels or different?

Hi semco. :D Just as good or better than any other AWD vehicles. Of course, when push comes to shove, tires are the mitigating factor in how good a vehicle will be in the snow, whether AWD, FWD or RWD.

The MKX system will send power to the wheels getting the most grip, whether it needs to be 100%, 0% or somewhere in between.

If you get an MKX, you will not be disappointed.

Good luck! :beerchug:

We have a Edge with AWD and it is great in the snow. This is the first winter that we've had it and so far I'm impressed. This is after having a 92, 98 and 04 Explorers over the past nine year. We get quite a bit of snow here in Central New York (including the storm this weekend) and will always have one AWD/4WD vehicle in the household. The tranfer of power is seemless and it feels very stable. It normally operates in FWD but sends powers to any combination of the 4 wheels when slipage is detected. Although this is Ford's own AWD system built in the US, the technology is based on the Haldex system (used in Volvos). I'm sure you'll be pleased as well. Good luck!

I took delivery of my 2008 MKX (AWD Ltd Monochrome) in late October. The oringinal equipment tires (20 in Pirelli Scorpions) look like they have an agressive tread so I think they might be OK in the snow. My last vehicle was a Freestyle AWD on which I installed winter tires. Traction was always great. Based on that experience, I installed winter tires on my MKX (18 in Toyo G02 Open Country). We had one singnificant dump of snow in Toronto last week and I was out several times - absolutely no wheel spin and stops were great. There is enough height with the MKX that ruts and deep snow are not a problem. The AWD will be great for you but I would strongly suggest a set of winter tires.