2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer

Hey, I am changing companies. I will be getting a vehicle allowance instead of a comopany car. I think I am going to look at Explorers tonight. I had a 2003 XLS and drove it for 75,000 miles. What do you think of the improvements from 2003 to 2007/08?

Edited by markfnc

Hey, I am changing companies. I will be getting a vehicle allowance instead of a comopany car. I think I am going to look at Explorers tonight. I had a 2003 XLS and drove it for 75,000 miles. What do you think of the improvements from 2003 to 2007/08?

I currently have a 2004 Explorer and have driven a 2007. It is a totally different vehicle. Smoother ride, better fuel mileage with more horsepower, and a new interior. If I was in the market for a new vehicle, I would get a 2007/08 without hesitation.

I currently have a 2004 Explorer and have driven a 2007. It is a totally different vehicle. Smoother ride, better fuel mileage with more horsepower, and a new interior. If I was in the market for a new vehicle, I would get a 2007/08 without hesitation.

Hi markfnc. :D Yes, what ^he^ said! :yup:

Also, according to your needs and tastes, I would take a look at the Edge also. You can get the AWD and have a better ride. Or maybe you need the heavier duty capabilities or third row of the Explorer. Only you can decide on that.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi markfnc. :D Yes, what ^he^ said! :yup:

Also, according to your needs and tastes, I would take a look at the Edge also. You can get the AWD and have a better ride. Or maybe you need the heavier duty capabilities or third row of the Explorer. Only you can decide on that.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! :beerchug:

Yes, we are thinking of getting a mid size camper (a little bigger than a pop up), so the towing capacity is a plus. The 3rd row though not needed often, could be used every now and then when the parents are in town. Although we have a Freestar now so we can use that for the 3rd row. Good to hear about the improved ride, and I also heard it is a lot quieter. 2 local dealers have a couple 07 left, so I will go see what kind of deal I can get.

Any real changes from 07 to 08?

Yes, we are thinking of getting a mid size camper (a little bigger than a pop up), so the towing capacity is a plus. The 3rd row though not needed often, could be used every now and then when the parents are in town. Although we have a Freestar now so we can use that for the 3rd row. Good to hear about the improved ride, and I also heard it is a lot quieter. 2 local dealers have a couple 07 left, so I will go see what kind of deal I can get.

Any real changes from 07 to 08?

Hi markfnc. :D Yes, the newer Explorers do have much improved ride and handling characteristics, and are quieter to boot. The Edge would be even quieter, more comfortable, and should give better mpg also.

I would check with a Dealer to see if the Edge can handle the weight of your camper (educated guess: should not be a problem). And the Freestar would take care of the parents when they are in town. :shift:

The biggest change from 2007 to 2008 is the "SYNC" system. Off the top of my head, a handhold for closing the rear hatch, a power hatch option (I think it's optional), and some trim options were also added. I am sure if I missed anything important, we will hear rather shortly.

Whatever you decide to buy, good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I'd recommend the '06 and up Explorer to anyone. My '06 has given me 28,000 trouble free miles, literally, it's just been in for oil changes. My driving is mixed about 50/50 and I still get 21 to 22 mpg. It is great to travel in, just as good as my '01 Expy EB. On our trip to VA from Columbus OH we averaged 24 mpg! My sister and brother in law have an '03, which is nice, but doesn't compare to the great ride and great interior in the newer model. Go drive one - you'll love it! Ross

• 14 years later...

Update. I still have the 2007 Eddie Bauer. it just passed 260,000 miles.  I drove it from 2007 to 2015 daily, then just weekends from 2015-17 when my son turned 16 (in 2017) and started using it for HS.  He is still driving it in college. 

This summer he had an internship in Texas, so him and I drove from NC to Texas then i flew back in May, then did the reverse in Aug, last weekend.  No issues, ran smooth still.  Leather seats are in good shape, no tears.  a few minor plastic pieces have broke over the years, (the sun glass holder, the knob for rear air). I had transmission work done at 175,000 miles.  considering its never been kept in the garage paint still looks good.  Plastic at top of door/bottom of window is faded.

Recent picture on the way to Texas in May. 

20220526_121905.thumb.jpg.9d67e9239bbcf664f6c37d5454b06e74.jpg

• Like 1