How the Flex will be a success

elkarlo

As for the Flex I am not sure numerically if it will be a success. Then again I didn't think the Edge would do all that great either.

Yet what I think the Flex will bring in are the people who have bought Minivans in the past and are looking to replace them. As Mercury is the conquest brand for Ford right now, I think the Flex will bring in many new people to the Ford brand. Now that may only be 6k a month or so, but I think it will build on the work that the Edge, and yes the Fusion have done in brightening up the Ford lineup.

Anyway my argument is that if Flex does not have good monthly sales #, it may not be a failure, as it may be a conquest/attention getter for the dealerships.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the Flex I am not sure numerically if it will be a success. Then again I didn't think the Edge would do all that great either.

Yet what I think the Flex will bring in are the people who have bought Minivans in the past and are looking to replace them. As Mercury is the conquest brand for Ford right now, I think the Flex will bring in many new people to the Ford brand. Now that may only be 6k a month or so, but I think it will build on the work that the Edge, and yes the Fusion have done in brightening up the Ford lineup.

Anyway my argument is that if Flex does not have good monthly sales #, it may not be a failure, as it may be a conquest/attention getter for the dealerships.

I really think that people are looking for a very functional vehicle that is not a Minivan, not a SUV, and not a CUV that looks like an SUV, but a CUV that actually looks more like a station wagon like a TaurusX, but much bolder and more distinctive. I think it will be a winner and has the potential to sell in 10,000/month range. My only hope is that it's priced to sell in volume and has decent towing number of at least 3,500 pounds. Otherwise, I think Ford has another winner here much like Edge. And that will be great news. Ford needs another homerun like the Edge, especially after the disappointing sales numbers from new Taurus.

I really think that people are looking for a very functional vehicle that is not a Minivan, not a SUV, and not a CUV that looks like an SUV, but a CUV that actually looks more like a station wagon like a TaurusX, but much bolder and more distinctive. I think it will be a winner and has the potential to sell in 10,000/month range. My only hope is that it's priced to sell in volume and has decent towing number of at least 3,500 pounds. Otherwise, I think Ford has another winner here much like Edge. And that will be great news. Ford needs another homerun like the Edge, especially after the disappointing sales numbers from new Taurus.

I agree. What also I would like to know is that the abandoning of the Minivan segment, did that hurt Ford at the dealership level? Even with a crappy minivan would people still come to the dealer, and drive off with maybe a SUV or a CUV?

Will the Flex fix that situation?

As for the styling, I don't know how to categorize it. Is it a Minivan, Wagon, SUV mix?

I agree. What also I would like to know is that the abandoning of the Minivan segment, did that hurt Ford at the dealership level? Even with a crappy minivan would people still come to the dealer, and drive off with maybe a SUV or a CUV?

Will the Flex fix that situation?

As for the styling, I don't know how to categorize it. Is it a Minivan, Wagon, SUV mix?

I really think Ford has invented a new niche just like it did with its first Explorer. Up to then SUV's were primarily rugged, little, 4wd trucks that had rough rides and families didn't buy them. Ford turned the SUV into multi functional vehicle that families liked and made history with it. Hopefully, Ford can work some of that magic with the all new Flex. They badly need another hit and this vehicle is distinctive enough to have a chance at it. If Ford doesn't get another hit soon, then it will just limp along into oblivion. They just need ONE more hot product to give reason for hope. Let's hope the Flex is it. The MKS is too low in volume to do that even if they can sell everyone they can make. It will help Lincoln to be sure, but doesn't do much to Ford's fortunes like the much higher volume Flex. Oakville could easily make 120,000 of them and hopefully they will and sell them retail out the door. This vehicle has the potential to make people forget about minivans and embrace a new future. If it's hot, you better believe lots of others will copy just like they did with Explorer. But Ford has traditions of building classy, tasteful wagons, and this one does evoke that tradition.

I priced it online at Ford's site. You load one up and see what it costs.

I'd go max about 32, and that's loaded too.

Not the final prices. You also have to consider that the Flex has a pretty good array of standard features even in base form, and a $40,000 Flex has a ton of luxury features.

I priced it online at Ford's site. You load one up and see what it costs.

I'd go max about 32, and that's loaded too.

An AWD, Limited with EVERY option box checked including DVDs, NAV, Vista roof, towing pkg, tops at 44,160. That even includes double charging for SYNC which is standard on the Limited.

Not sure how you got to 50,000. Maybe you accidently checked the EXAGGERATION box!

Too BIG, . . . . and I don't think others will waste their money on it either.

You're entitled to your benighted opinion.

BIG people need a BIG people mover. Normal-size people with lots of stuff need a BIG station wagon.

The market may really be ready, too. Was watching some stand-up on the Comedy Channel, one dude had great response to his comments on getting married and getting a mini-van with sliding doors and crappy handling.

The market may really be ready, too. Was watching some stand-up on the Comedy Channel, one dude had great response to his comments on getting married and getting a mini-van with sliding doors and crappy handling.

If the market was ready for a wagon, the Freestyle and Taurus Wagon would be selling better despite the lack of advertising.

If the market was ready for a wagon, the Freestyle and Taurus Wagon would be selling better despite the lack of advertising.

The problem with the the Freestyle and Taurus Wagon is that they got the Ford SUV greenhouse, and don't look like "station wagons", so it's still undecided.

I'm scratching my head on the FLEX. I don't get it.

It's no Scion xB, the Flex is much bigger, much more luxurious and a lot more money. You could buy a full size refrigerator for the price of the rear seat cooler. The fuel economy won't be better than an Edge (I'd guess). Is there a market for this wagon? I'm more of a sportscar guy anyway ...I'm certainly not their target.

It's interesting, but seems out of step for what Ford needs right now....an economical, mass market, people mover that gets great gas mileage. It's definitely a niche vehicle. I expect the Taurus X's sales to increase!

The Blackwood comes to mind.......a cool designer model that has limited appeal.

Honestly, I just don't get the appeal for the Flex. A few months ago, I was going down the highway and met one going in the opposite direction. Since I haven't seen any around the Ford lots yet, I assume that I must have seen a pre-production model. Not appealing at all to me. Now the Edge I like okay. Its the most youthful family vehicle out there. Taurus doesn't score in sales yet, although its okay. Fusion is too small by my standards. Taurus X (and Freestyle) seems to be only driven by women in their fifties around here. I'm just not sure who the Flex is being marketed to. Then I'm to understand that its suppose to be a higher end Ford vehicle??

Edited by Traveler

I'm scratching my head on the FLEX. I don't get it.

It's no Scion xB, the Flex is much bigger, much more luxurious and a lot more money. You could buy a full size refrigerator for the price of the rear seat cooler. The fuel economy won't be better than an Edge (I'd guess). Is there a market for this wagon? I'm more of a sportscar guy anyway ...I'm certainly not their target.

It's interesting, but seems out of step for what Ford needs right now....an economical, mass market, people mover that gets great gas mileage. It's definitely a niche vehicle. I expect the Taurus X's sales to increase!

The Blackwood comes to mind.......a cool designer model that has limited appeal.

Not sure why this vehicle is so hard to understand by some of you and why so negative. The Edge is a five passenger CUV and has been criticized that it doesn't have room for seven. The Flex does that and has even more room than the Taurus X. In fact, the Taurus X will probably be eliminated within year or so after Flex is out and up to speed. I'm sure most will be able to buy a nice Flex for somewhere around $32,000. Sure, any vehicle the size of the Flex will cost an arm and a leg if you option it out. A fully decked out Explorer can easily top $40,000 MSRP and the Edge can get close to that number also if you throw the kitchen sink in. It seems that when a new vehicle comes out the early buyers like with the Edge want the top of the line model. But after initial burst many want a middle of the road model with some of the options.

And why bitch about the price of the refrigerator? Dont order it if you don't want it. It's a ripoff just like the Navigation system in all vehicles is a ripoff. They all do it. Again, don't order it and buy yourself a navigation system for $200 at Best Buy. Same goes for DVD systems...another ripoff. After market systems are fine and portion of factory price.

What would you feel better about pulling up to a PTA meeting in? A champagne Toyota Sienna, or a perfectly waxed dark blue Flex with a white roof, big shiny 18" rims, and a big Twin Force 3.5 burbling under the hood? At the end of the day, they're both getting the same fuel economy.

That's all I'm saying.

What would you feel better about pulling up to a PTA meeting in? A champagne Toyota Sienna, or a perfectly waxed dark blue Flex with a white roof, big shiny 18" rims, and a big Twin Force 3.5 burbling under the hood? At the end of the day, they're both getting the same fuel economy.

That's all I'm saying.

A nicely optioned Flex with the white top makes much more of a statement than a generic, dated minivan. The minivan is as dated as your average SUV. Both the minivan and SUV market are contracting and the CUV market is growing. Ford is putting the money into the correct segments...the growth segments. Many people who buy new want something different and distinctive. Yeah, the Flex will probably get some Explorer, Freestar, and TaurusX buyers, but I think it will get more minivan buyers who looked at the Sienna, Caravan, Town and Country, Odyssey, and Quest minivans or who used to own one.

That's all I'm saying.

See, that sales pitch RIGHT THERE would put me in a Flex when my family got big enough... if they still have it around, that is.

Ever consider working for Ford's marketing department?

That's all I'm saying.

Yea, I'd take the Flex anyday over some minivan, especially those nasty looking Toyota's.

I'd think that yuppies and soccer moms would be all over this thing, as long as they can get past the Ford badge on the grill. Just look at the pic Range posted, the thing is awesome, I'm not even close to the target market for this thing, I'm a grease guzzling gearhead, and I even want one.

And for once, Ford got a car right from the get go, no big drawbacks like on other cars, the outside is stunning, has things I don't think anyone else has done outside of one off concepts, has HID's and LED's optional, big good looking wheels, amazing interior with the best navigation/multi-media screen I've seen in a car, the right powertrain, and all the safety gadgets there could be.

What's not to like about it??? If I was married and had a couple kids I know I'd get one of these over any minivan, no matter what...

post-122-1198378372_thumb.jpg

post-122-1198378410_thumb.jpg

Yea, I'd take the Flex anyday over some minivan, especially those nasty looking Toyota's.

OMG a positive Ford posting by Chicken Little? Did hell just freeze over?

Anyways, I feel the same way, I'm not even in the market for this type of car and it appeals to me...I'd take this over even a SUV.

There is just something about it that emits "cool" and "funky" about it

Anyways, this thread just points out many people's bigotness when it comes to Ford....they always have something disparaging to say about a Ford product, just because it doesn't fit what they want in a car.

See, that sales pitch RIGHT THERE would put me in a Flex when my family got big enough... if they still have it around, that is.

Ever consider working for Ford's marketing department?

Finance is my life's calling... besides, Michigan isn't exactly my ideal living location.

What I find most incredible about the Flex, is that this is the FORD version... I can't even imagine what insanity the Lincoln version is going to unleash.

Even the base versions with cloth seats aren't anything to be ashamed of.

OMG a positive Ford posting by Chicken Little? Did hell just freeze over?

Anyways, I feel the same way, I'm not even in the market for this type of car and it appeals to me...I'd take this over even a SUV.

There is just something about it that emits "cool" and "funky" about it

Anyways, this thread just points out many people's bigotness when it comes to Ford....they always have something disparaging to say about a Ford product, just because it doesn't fit what they want in a car.

Do you have to troll every thread???