How the Flex will be a success

elkarlo

I really think Ford has invented a new niche just like it did with its first Explorer. Up to then SUV's were primarily rugged, little, 4wd trucks that had rough rides and families didn't buy them. Ford turned the SUV into multi functional vehicle that families liked and made history with it. Hopefully, Ford can work some of that magic with the all new Flex. They badly need another hit and this vehicle is distinctive enough to have a chance at it. If Ford doesn't get another hit soon, then it will just limp along into oblivion. They just need ONE more hot product to give reason for hope. Let's hope the Flex is it. The MKS is too low in volume to do that even if they can sell everyone they can make. It will help Lincoln to be sure, but doesn't do much to Ford's fortunes like the much higher volume Flex. Oakville could easily make 120,000 of them and hopefully they will and sell them retail out the door. This vehicle has the potential to make people forget about minivans and embrace a new future. If it's hot, you better believe lots of others will copy just like they did with Explorer. But Ford has traditions of building classy, tasteful wagons, and this one does evoke that tradition.

Oh if they create a new Niche like they did with the Explorer, it will be huge for Ford. As they have the first model in there, and can prolly make a 2nd model as quickly as the next Corp can make the first competator.

That's right they will most likely make a Lincoln version, helping out that line as well.

And yes maybe this will be the end of minivans as a major vehicle type.

I think with the Edge, this could be the turn around that they are truly seeking. As even in the DC area I see a good amount of Edges, this may bring back the "Urban Elites" into buying Ford again. That means higher margins.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A nicely optioned Flex with the white top makes much more of a statement than a generic, dated minivan. The minivan is as dated as your average SUV. Both the minivan and SUV market are contracting and the CUV market is growing. Ford is putting the money into the correct segments...the growth segments. Many people who buy new want something different and distinctive. Yeah, the Flex will probably get some Explorer, Freestar, and TaurusX buyers, but I think it will get more minivan buyers who looked at the Sienna, Caravan, Town and Country, Odyssey, and Quest minivans or who used to own one.

That's exactly what Ford needs. Somehow to get people who look at Toyota/Nissan/Honda to go by their lots. Funny how new and amazing Minivans looked in the early 90's as did SUVs in the late 90's. Now both look fairly dated. If this continues to be true, maybe Ford will start another craze, and be at the forefront?

I didn't think it was smart to get out of Minivans at first, but I think that market is getting too small and competitve to stay in. This may prove a good gamble, or not.

That's a good picture of I assume a pre-production model.

It appears to be a Limited model.

I guess Ford eliminated the projector headlights for even the Limited model. Maybe HID/xenon bulbs are available (w/out projector lenses), like Mustang. I assume the LED taillights are gone too. Although, if they are replaced w/ Taurus/X type light bulbs that be ok, since they illuminate equally fast and can be made to look like LEDs anyways.

Didn't Ford said there was plenty of money to throw around? They just can't get anything right. :(

Yeah. Because they spend money like drunken sailors.... :P

Heh you think I'm kidding =)

I live near DC, and people DROP money on cars. If it weren't for LR/J and Volvo, in some areas around here there would be almost no Ford presence. But if you look at how much most of those cars go for, they are about $30k starting. Making these ancient hippies a gold mine.

Didn't Ford said there was plenty of money to throw around? They just can't get anything right. :(

We don't know anything for sure, so kindly close your mouth. This is a test mule, so it means nothing when it comes to the final product. Even if they aren't there, its doubtful it will matter. The overall product seems excellent.

Edited by suv_guy_19

It's not a test mule.

This will be a deal breaker for a lot of families.

Almost forty grand and no HIDs or projectors. :(

Well it sure as hell isn't a production model. Wait and see what happens. I'm sure its not nearly the deal breaker that you thing, and if it is, people are plain stupid. Also, even without the projectors, it could still have HID.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Xenon headlamps with projectors are not just for looks, they are a highly regarded safety feature most people value at those prices.

They are not stupid. People who dismiss HIDs with no knowledge about them are the ones who're.

Then again you think headrests are overrated too.

Edited by pcsario

Xenon headlamps with projectors are not just for looks, they are a highly regarded safety feature most people value at those prices.

They are not stupid. People who dismiss HIDs with no knowledge about them are the ones who're.

Many non HID light systems are very very good. They come so close that there is barely a difference.

Looks like the Flex will be at the San Diego auto show next week. I'll be sure to take a look!

Check it out if you can. I saw it at the LA show and was suprised. It looks smaller in person, but also long and low. The pics make it look bigger than it really did in person. I liked it alot.

Heh you think I'm kidding =)

I live near DC, and people DROP money on cars. If it weren't for LR/J and Volvo, in some areas around here there would be almost no Ford presence. But if you look at how much most of those cars go for, they are about $30k starting. Making these ancient hippies a gold mine.

Same here. I live in the MD burbs of D.C. "Soccer Moms" routinely drive around in $70K Range Rovers or $60K Mercedes RL's! The "poor" or cheap ones drive Lexus RX330's or Volvo XC90's. LOL

There is, of course, another possibility. They could have been moved from standard to option.

A friend of mine has a new Mustang, he put his own HID setup in there, lemme tell you, those things are BRIGHT! They look like high-beams when on regular mode. They're not the projector type, obviously since it's a Mustang.

Just because they don't have projector lights, doesnt mean they cant be as bright as projectors.

Uh-huh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKjz9_BguVM

That's quite a shitty HID setup btw, many folks here will agree.

Behind the wheel it looks more like this:

srovnani_xenony.jpg

I believe that picture is comparing regular, non-projector lights to xenon/HID projector lights. I don't believe it's comparing regular bulb HID/xenons to a projector HID/xenon headlight.

Indeed that was the point.

In any case, xenons with projectors are still the proper method to get the best results.

47.jpg

48.jpg

No glare, superb focused lighting, and the cutline is just at the right height.

The cheap method Ford NA uses (reflectors) is just awful, and annoying to other drivers.

They better put the projectors back. Flex might look like a box, but it's not an econobox.

Edited by pcsario