How the Flex will be a success

elkarlo

Indeed that was the point.

In any case, xenons with projectors are still the proper method to get the best results.

47.jpg

48.jpg

No glare, superb focused lighting, and the cutline is just at the right height.

The cheap method Ford NA uses (reflectors) is just awful, and annoying to other drivers.

They better put the projectors back. Flex might look like a box, but it's not an econobox.

They may be very good, but there are many halogen set ups that come very close in colour, quality, and distance. About the best non HID lights I have ever seen are on the Buick Rendezvous we have. It is white, clear, and bright. Our F150 is clear and bright, but not white unfortunately. HIDs also have the drawback of making it hard to distinguish wet slippery surfaces from dry ones. They aren't perfect.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless, of course, you live in a city with hills, bumps, or dips - in which case you'll be blinding hundreds of oncoming drivers.

I wonder if the NHTSA keeps statistics on deaths caused by projector HID blindings?

No you don't, that's the best thing about projectors. Either with regular halogens or xenons, they're easier on the eyes than regular reflectors in those situations you described, and they adjust automatically in most vehicles.

In fact, there's a much higher chance you would be more annoyed by a badly aligned reflector in a car, or by the height of the regular headlights in an F150, Edge, Expedition, etc. Now those are more likely to leave you blind after minimal direct exposure in a heavy traffic situation.

When was the last time you were blinded by an Audi or a Mazda3?

In fact, there's a much higher chance you would be more annoyed by a badly aligned reflector in a car, or by the height of the regular headlights in an F150, Edge, Expedition, etc. Now those are more likely to leave you blind after minimal direct exposure in a heavy traffic situation.

You're right. Was ahead of a 2K8 Super Duty last night — the lowered headlights on the new SD are a great relief.

Same here. I live in the MD burbs of D.C. "Soccer Moms" routinely drive around in $70K Range Rovers or $60K Mercedes RL's! The "poor" or cheap ones drive Lexus RX330's or Volvo XC90's. LOL

You are right about that. They spend easily $60k on a people mover, and $40k on a car. The dealerships must roll in money compared to other areas.

They may be very good, but there are many halogen set ups that come very close in colour, quality, and distance. About the best non HID lights I have ever seen are on the Buick Rendezvous we have. It is white, clear, and bright. Our F150 is clear and bright, but not white unfortunately. HIDs also have the drawback of making it hard to distinguish wet slippery surfaces from dry ones. They aren't perfect.

The reason you think they offer better lighting is because they sit higher relative to the ground than the ones in car, the cutline is higher and the lighting field is broader (without really making things more noticeable), and it's annoying to other drivers when you're on the opposite lane, or they are right behind you.

Of course the headlights in an F150 will provide better lighting than those in a Focus, but make no mistake, they still don't match the experience of driving a vehicle with projector HIDs. They just offer a level of detail, and a sense of peace due to the dramatic added detail that's just hard to describe. Makes driving at night a really relaxing experience.

Wet surfaces are hard to notice with both methods because water doesn't reflect light as much.

The reason you think they offer better lighting is because they sit higher relative to the ground than the ones in car, the cutline is higher and the lighting field is broader (without really making things more noticeable), and it's annoying to other drivers when you're on the opposite lane, or they are right behind you.

Of course the headlights in an F150 will provide better lighting than those in a Focus, but make no mistake, they still don't match the experience of driving a vehicle with projector HIDs. They just offer a level of detail, and a sense of peace due to the dramatic added detail that's just hard to describe. Makes driving at night a really relaxing experience.

Wet surfaces are hard to notice with both methods because water doesn't reflect light as much.

Yes, for older drivers night driving does get harder, and if for no other reason Ford needs to offer HID projector lights across the board so that we can all use them. I know I would like to get these lights on my next car as I'm 59 and it's not getting easier to drive at night. Come on Ford, get this technology out on all your vehicles.

In fact, out in rural areas without street lights turning is hard because you lose sight of the road for an instant half way through turn and it's harder on older drivers. Ford needs to offer adaptive headlights on more of its vehicles too. I know the MKX has it and I'm sure the MKS will get it. But I shouldn't have to spend $40,000 to get this feature. I love options like this that actually make driving easier and are so important. Seniors need stuff like easy in and out like Taurus and TaurusX, good lighting and lights that turn with steering wheel.

Indeed that was the point.

In any case, xenons with projectors are still the proper method to get the best results.

47.jpg

48.jpg

No glare, superb focused lighting, and the cutline is just at the right height.

The cheap method Ford NA uses (reflectors) is just awful, and annoying to other drivers.

They better put the projectors back. Flex might look like a box, but it's not an econobox.

I wasn't necessarily arguing that the reflector HID setup is the best way to use HIDs, as opposed to projectors, I was just saying that it's possible to have similar lighting affects as projectores while using reflector lenses.

I don't know what people are talking about, HID projectors and LED's are an option..

It's on Ford's build site...And in this pic..

While it is possible, there are a few factors that lead me to beleive the projectors won't be optional:

1) the picture you posted, while, yes, on Ford's Flex website is a picture of the concept Flex, not necessarily the production model.

2) All spy shots (that I can remember) that we've seen show the Flex w/ regular reflector-type headlights. HID/xenon bulbs may be available just w/out the projector style light.

Of course, I could be wrong, since we haven't seen the final production Flex yet. Projectors could be optional on Limited models, I just dont know.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/flex/build/

Enough already, HID's are a 200 dollar option on all models, and are standard on the Limited, same thing for the LED taillights. End of discussion!

EXACTLY! Jees, why is there such an issue about something that IS offered and lets face it, its a pretty damn good price as far as HID's go. Hell you wont be able to convert one to aftermarket HIDs for $200.

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. — The new Ford Flex that drove onto the ferry here puzzled skipper Tom White.

"It's coming down the ramp. I'm saying, 'What's going on here?' " said the 20-year-old mariner. "It looks like a Scion on steroids."

Passenger Mary Ann Moore of Sebastopol, Calif., couldn't figure it out either. "It looks like a grown-up Mini Cooper," said Moore, 50.

Too funny.

I don't understand why people spend $35,000 (and borrow the money to do so) on a vehicle just to schlep the kids to school, daycare, grocery store, etc.

I just wonder if all the consumers out there losing homes, cars, etc. may change the way our culture looks at credit, from an "easy money" mindset, to the realization you have to pay it back some day.

Also, how much debt are college students graduating with today compared to 15 years ago when I graduated?

I don't understand why people spend $35,000 (and borrow the money to do so) on a vehicle just to schlep the kids to school, daycare, grocery store, etc.

I just wonder if all the consumers out there losing homes, cars, etc. may change the way our culture looks at credit, from an "easy money" mindset, to the realization you have to pay it back some day.

Also, how much debt are college students graduating with today compared to 15 years ago when I graduated?

There's nothing wrong with buying a vehicle on credit no matter what the cost. What matters is not getting in over your head.

There's nothing wrong with buying a vehicle on credit no matter what the cost. What matters is not getting in over your head.

Of course. because if you can afford a monthly payment its not worth worrying about the total price of a product.

Its thinking like that that brought this whole mortgage mess here in the states, and i dont feel the least bit sorry for those that lose their ass when the winds change due to their piss poor planning.

Of course. because if you can afford a monthly payment its not worth worrying about the total price of a product.

Its thinking like that that brought this whole mortgage mess here in the states, and i dont feel the least bit sorry for those that lose their ass when the winds change due to their piss poor planning.

There is not a single thing wrong with buying on credit. The only real problem is that many people get in over their heads. If someone wants a car, they can afford the payment and they aren't over stretching themselves, there really is no problem. Credit can be a very useful tool if used properly.

Far be it from me to argue finance with someone named taxman, but I think coming at this from a car angle you're off here. Why spend $35,000 on any non-track vehicle, by your logic? Why do Lincoln or Lexus exist, when people are doing the same things in 99% of them that people do in their Fusions or Camri? It's because people like to feel good about major investments, not just adequate. A car really does become a part of someone's identity, which is why I think Ford has a major, major hit on its hands with the Flex: when pressed, most of the people in the young-but-grocery-getting-and-kind-of-wealthy demographic Ford is aiming at would rather think of themselves as two-toned-roof people than my-these-stowing-seats-are-convenient people. If grocery-schleppers and college-commuters and boulevard-cruisers were really "just-to" endeavors, Ford would still have the market cornered with Taurus sedans and wagons.

Far be it from me to argue finance with someone named taxman, but I think coming at this from a car angle you're off here. Why spend $35,000 on any non-track vehicle, by your logic? Why do Lincoln or Lexus exist, when people are doing the same things in 99% of them that people do in their Fusions or Camri? It's because people like to feel good about major investments, not just adequate. A car really does become a part of someone's identity, which is why I think Ford has a major, major hit on its hands with the Flex: when pressed, most of the people in the young-but-grocery-getting-and-kind-of-wealthy demographic Ford is aiming at would rather think of themselves as two-toned-roof people than my-these-stowing-seats-are-convenient people. If grocery-schleppers and college-commuters and boulevard-cruisers were really "just-to" endeavors, Ford would still have the market cornered with Taurus sedans and wagons.

So do you think the white top will be a popular option? The white top seems to be an option on even the Limited model.

I think the two-tone kind of makes the car....but then an all black one would be sexy too. (P.S. I think I'm starting to like the Flex)

I agree, I also think that the two-tone roof option will allow a customer to further make the car their 'own'. I think it's a good idea for Ford, and if I were to get a Flex I wouldn't get it without the option.

wow wow wow.....as a dealer I just sprung a giant woody over the possibilities. I've already gone on record saying this will be a big hit (and I'm not a fan of everything Ford does by the way) but this reinforces my belief. I just wish I had it now to sell as God knows I could use something exciting in my showroom.

Her is a good LINK Ford seems to be moving in the Scion direction in giving customers what they want, check it out and customize your own Flex! Put your cursor over the compass rose and click on the bottum right hand third to build your own custom Flex!
Edited by campbell53