2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer

5 month update

Miles 8594

Gallons 471.1

MPG 18.22

Overall all MPG bottomed out at 18.12, and has been on the rise again due to hwy miles driven.

Rattle under dash while idleing in drive. Rattle in garage door opener holder overhead.

Got some hail damage a week ago, getting hood repaired next week.

• 7 months later...

1 year update.

Miles - 23,629

Gallons 1291.73

MPG 18.29

Best tank 21.34 mpg, worst tank 15.57 mpg.

Had the alternater and belt replaced a month ago under warranty. Still having duct rattling issues.

Overall , I still like the vehichle a lot. Beside rattle in duct to front passenger side when ideling in drive, the garage door opener thing overhead rattles a lot.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

2 year update

Miles= 59,462

gallons - 3187.17

MPG = 18.66

Best tank = 23.396, miles on this tank was 291 driving all highway at 62 mph, just to see how it would do

Uniroyal Laredos are great, smooth and quiet. Rattle in overhead garage door holder is still there. Explorer has been great, regular maintenance. Brakes will be needed soon.

• 9 months later...

3 year update coming up Dec 26. Have 91,000 miles now. still can get 22-23 mpg on the hwy, 17 or so city. new tires atround 55,000 miles. regualr maintenance. no issues other than under dash rattle when in idle. was in a rear ender (my fault). everything fixed great.

• 1 year later...

4 year update. 125,000 miles. Explorer is now paid off. yeah!. Just had wheel bearing done, and theromostat housing was leaking and replaced it. Leather seats holding up well. still drives and rides nice. Old rattles have gone away. MPG on hwy still around 22-23 mpg. back and forth in town around 17 mpg. plan on driving until 225,000 or so. then hold for 10 year old to get to driving age and let this be his 1st car.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So anyone having transmission issues. a friend who has the same looking explorer, but the v8 4wd is having his torque converter replaced. my wives 2005 freestar is having that done today under a recall. i was wondering about the transmission of a v6 2005 freestar vs 2007 v6 explorer being the same or not. any ideas?

mine, every now, and then shudders while driving. seems like dirty fuel injectors more than transmission but not sure. anyone???

Edited by markfnc

So anyone having transmission issues. a friend who has the same looking explorer, but the v8 4wd is having his torque converter replaced. my wives 2005 freestar is having that done today under a recall. i was wondering about the transmission of a v6 2005 freestar vs 2007 v6 explorer being the same or not. any ideas?

mine, every now, and then shudders while driving. seems like dirty fuel injectors more than transmission but not sure. anyone???

The trans from the EXP and Windstar are not the same - Exp RWD/4x4 - WS - FWD

• 1 month later...

Mine had the same problem. Tell the tech to check misfires. I had to replace a spark plug and coil on one of the cylanders. Not cheap, but fixed the shudder.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

At 175,000 miles had a tune up, replaced spark plug wires and spark plugs. Seems to be running normal again. Also did brakes. Hard to beleive but first work on brakes in 175,000 miles. Most highway but still pretty good.

Power lumbar in driver seat went out. Not sure if ill mess with that or not. Leather seats holding up well. 3 years until son turns 16. Give this to him then, and look for something "new".

• 6 months later...

To expand on power lumber going out. The entire rightside of the seat feels like it is leaning. not enough to bother me on long drives, but it is noticible. When you look at the seat from the outside yuo can see the leather looks loose on that same side, and that the support is not there. I have looked at a few others in parking lots, and their seats look the same.

Is./has that been an issue with the 2007's? I do have 186,000 miles now.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I stopped driving it except weekends in 2015 (bought my Taurus) .  My son turned 16 in 2017, and started driving to school.  its now got 235,000 miles .  Still going well.  Its known as Big Red at my sons school .

Paint still looks good, Leather seats in good shape.  

Edited by markfnc