2009 Dodge Ram

wescoent

And since we are doing the paste up thing I figured I would paste up this little review of the new F150 that Intrepidatious was good enough to find for us.

The interior is definitely an improvement, though I don't think it's better than the competition — at least in this Lariat, which is a high trim level. The materials look pretty good, with the exception of the faux aluminum; it might be better than the Toyota Tundra's, but it's still not my thing. The surfaces, including a leather-clad dashboard, look upscale, but they aren't as soft as what we've begun to see in the market, even in some trucks.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2008/01...ose-2009-1.html

The same website had this to say about the new Dodge.

The redesigned cockpit is a big improvement over its predecessor's, with a luxurious simulated leather dashboard on higher-end trim levels and a clear gauge layout. Material quality is similar to the Chevrolet Silverado, one of the leaders in the segment.

Crew cab models have a spacious rear seat that can comfortably seat adults. Like the Silverado's crew cab, the rear seats flip up in one motion to make loading cargo back there easy. There are storage bins underneath the seat cushion.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2008/01...dodge.html#more

Like I said and Intrepdatious as well, you can find anybody to say whatever jives with your agenda in the press. Be a man and go look for yourself and quit buying vehicles based on what some premadonna journalist says.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact, they all copy one another to some degree. Dodge admitted they used the '04 F-150 for inspiration and the squarer profile of the truck. They just deliberately kept the box height lower because they felt it was a mistake that Ford made raising the bedrails so high. It is ridiculously high. I'm an average height guy and I have to stand on the rear tire to reach the middle of the bed of my truck. The F-150, however, is hard to even reach a quarter of the way in.

The bed rails are a complete joke. But they won't hurt sales because 99% of F-150 sales are people looking for a family minivan.

The bed rails are a complete joke. But they won't hurt sales because 99% of F-150 sales are people looking for a family minivan.

99% Oh Really. Now you are either kidding or you have lost your senses. The overwhelming number of F-150s are used for work around here. Take a ride out to any work site and you'll see more Fords than any other brand.

Looks to me like most F-150s on work sites are driven by foremen, surveyors or engineers. Usually the heavier work looks to be handled by heavier trucks, such as the Super Duty or the Chevy/GMC 2500. My FIL is a foreman in heavy construction and he was assigned a GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab with the long bed. It has the Duramax/Allison combo. I don't think they use half-tons for anything related to much more than hauling materials or parts for machinery. Sure, there are some companies that benefit from half-tons, but its probably not a cost wise expense to buy a half-ton when a HD truck is more suitable.

The typical work truck I see using F-150s and other half-tons are HVAC companies or maybe utility/cable companies. I'll see them pull trailers, but usually nothing heavy like a backhoe or anything.

Edited by Traveler

To me its hard to judge the better interior in a picture. I think as these trucks make their way around on the auto show circuit, we'll be able to better judge who has the best interior. I think they look rather similar myself in terms of build quality and materials. Just by initial observation, it looks like the F-150's controls are a bit more cluttered, but I will reserve judgement on that until I see it.

One thing about the Dodge center console/armrest, Dodge has been making them rather wide for a number of years. One thing good about a wide armrest with storage is that you can fit something large and flat like a laptop computer in there if necessary.

you simply cannot judge interior quality from photos.

the cars.com blog obviously seems to like the Dodge materials better. CNBC yesterday HATED the Dodge materials, calling them "worst in class" - you all will have to go to an auto show in your back yard, or to your dealer and touch, poke and prod yourselves.

Igor

Who would have though that the 09 F-150 release would get ruined by the Ram??? They must be wetting their pants in Dearborn right now. 380 horsepower Hemi, while Ford has a carry over 5.4, along with the same old styling wit a huge hideous Super Duty like grill wedged between the Edge-like headlights.. They even leapfrogged the F-150 interior..

#3 will never ruin #1s day.

99% Oh Really. Now you are either kidding or you have lost your senses. The overwhelming number of F-150s are used for work around here. Take a ride out to any work site and you'll see more Fords than any other brand.

First you say F-150, then you say "Take a ride out to any work site and you'll see more Fords than any other brand". So which is it?

I said F-150. Driving on some gravel and hauling some fat ass around a construction sity is not "work"

First you say F-150, then you say "Take a ride out to any work site and you'll see more Fords than any other brand". So which is it?

I said F-150. Driving on some gravel and hauling some fat ass around a construction sity is not "work"

Louisiana Pacific, a very large lumber mill near here (I mean HUGE), uses F150s for much of their work.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Who would have though that the 09 F-150 release would get ruined by the Ram??? They must be wetting their pants in Dearborn right now. 380 horsepower Hemi, while Ford has a carry over 5.4, along with the same old styling wit a huge hideous Super Duty like grill wedged between the Edge-like headlights.. They even leapfrogged the F-150 interior..

:ohsnap:

Really?

http://www.ridelust.com/toyota-takes-over-...us-auto-market/

Never say never. You never know what can happen. I would however agree with very unlikely.

I think he was refering to trucks no? That said Toyota IS looming and ANYONE that ignores that fact is looking for trouble. I don't see any of the current 1/2 tone knocking ford off of its pedestal.....at least to begin with....who knows what the 900 lb Gorilla has up its Karate jackets sleeve....it may be a blessing though,,,complacency MAY have become a thing of the past.....

Whike I think a bigger V8 with more HP would be more competitive (and they are coming soon) the refreshed 4.6(s) and 5.4 V8 are more than adequate for most consumers. Considering fuel prices and MPG, the bigger engines are more for bragging rights and road tests.

Also remember the F150 is a refresh, when is the next generation?

Nobody ever seems to mention the Nissan Titan......I like the way it sounds.

Whike I think a bigger V8 with more HP would be more competitive (and they are coming soon) the refreshed 4.6(s) and 5.4 V8 are more than adequate for most consumers. Considering fuel prices and MPG, the bigger engines are more for bragging rights and road tests.

Also remember the F150 is a refresh, when is the next generation?

Nobody ever seems to mention the Nissan Titan......I like the way it sounds.

funny, i think if gas was cheaper there would be more of an uproar about Fords HP in comparison, but I've said it once and i'll say it again, I would rather give up a few HP"S and have a bulletproof drivetrain which is where the 5.4 sits as of now, the plug problems the panther crowd ( they live in the past remember ) keep bringing up are LONG gone....terrific engine right now, and the 6 speed woke up the Expedition, will do the SAME in the 09 f-150 for sure....

The amount of horsepower really isn't going to have that much of a bearing on fuel economy now. Dodge is introducing a 2nd generation MDS on Dodge Ram, which will improve fuel economy further by 4 percent. Dodge is also introducing a second generation 4.7 SOHC V8 with considerably more power and better fuel economy. To me, I see horsepower being no more of a bragging right than maxium tow capacity. In fact, the tow capacity may be even more so, because you'll see more throttle happy pickup truck drivers than you will those pulling 12,000 pounds behind them on a trailer. Just because a half-ton can pull that much, doesn't mean that it should or that its the best vehicle for such labor. Ford definitely has the strongest frame by all indications, but is the overbuilding of it truly necessary for sales or simply bragging rights? Just as there are horsepower wars, there has grown a towing war. Who can out tow the other. My guess is that current customers haven't asked for all this. This is just marketing guys trying to one up the competition. They have, however, asked for more horsepower and Ford is lagging behind it would seem in delivering.

To me, the half-ton manufacturers are pushing the envelope of sensibility. If the half-tons continue to grow more capable, what the heck will the HD trucks be needed for? I truly believe that probably 80%+ don't care which half-ton can pull over 10,000 pounds. Most of those buyers only want to know that their travel trailer or their boat can hook up and go without problems on those occasions when its necessary. Most half-ton owners will rarely, if ever, even hook up a trailer and they are likely to buy according to how they will use their truck, which means that towing over 10,000 pounds amounts to nothing to most half-ton buyers. Its going to be the light towing, haul, power, styling, comfort, handling, braking, etc. that will dictate who buys what.

From what I've seen Dodge, Ford, and GM all basically know how to reach their LOYAL customers, because those that are most loyal will defend their favorite make of truck to the end. Its those that sway one way or the other to another brand that each redesign matters to. I believe that is where Dodge will pull from Ford, GM and Toyota. I don't think the order of sales will change, but the numbers will tighten up in '09/'10 considerably between the Ford, Chevy and Dodge.

Edited by Traveler