Boss engine pics inside

Blueblood

From what I recall reading earlier, the 6.2 isn't exactly the "starting" engine. It's just the first engine size being made of this new architecture. Somewhere I read they were going to eventually produce a smaller one, in the 5.0 neighborhood.

Searching around Blue Oval Forums, there have been "design exercises" for other displacements from 5.8L to 7.0L, none of which are currently scheduled for production.

IIRC, the 5.8L was a short stroke version of the 6.2L and the 7.0L had a larger bore.

From what I recall reading earlier, the 6.2 isn't exactly the "starting" engine. It's just the first engine size being made of this new architecture. Somewhere I read they were going to eventually produce a smaller one, in the 5.0 neighborhood.

I think theyre working on a 5.0 MOD engine for the Mustang. I dont think it would be for the F150. Ive read about a 5.8, the 6.2 and a 7.0 that are being worked on.

I heard 6.2L might be available 6mos after the F150 initial launch. Well probably find out at teh chicago show.

I think theyre working on a 5.0 MOD engine for the Mustang. I dont think it would be for the F150. Ive read about a 5.8, the 6.2 and a 7.0 that are being worked on.

A 5.0 MOD would make better sense for the Mustang, since it allows Ford to keep an aluminum block, and a smaller block at that, in order to keep the Mustang's not-too-shabby front-to-rear weight distribution. Slamming an iron-block BOSS into the Mustang would make it a bit more nose-heavy, but probably not as bad as the GT500...

A 5.0 MOD would make better sense for the Mustang, since it allows Ford to keep an aluminum block, and a smaller block at that, in order to keep the Mustang's not-too-shabby front-to-rear weight distribution. Slamming an iron-block BOSS into the Mustang would make it a bit more nose-heavy, but probably not as bad as the GT500...

The rumor has it that the 5.0 MOD that will go into the Mustang will be CGI, not Aluminum.

Awesome. So the engine STARTS at 6.2L? I'm confused how this is going to help CAFE, but I like it!

It was originally to replace the 6.8 liter V10.

with the development of turbocharged engines and stiffer CAFE regulations.

I think the 6.2 will have it's place in thsi next design cycle but after that who knows?

It was originally to replace the 6.8 liter V10.

with the development of turbocharged engines and stiffer CAFE regulations.

I think the 6.2 will have it's place in thsi next design cycle but after that who knows?

I heard that the 6.2L was designed with direct injection and displacement on demand in mind. Also Im assuming that since the upgraded engine right now have fuel shut off on deceleration that the 6.2l will too? Anyway Ive heard that Ford is also still working on HLA.

So if they use this tech, Im pretty sure that the 6.2 and other large V8s could be around for a while.

so Ford is replacing the 6.8L V10 with the 6.2L V8 in their SD trucks

GM already replaced their 8.1L V8 with their new 6.0L V8

now GM is saying they will replace the 6.0L V8 across the board with their 6.2L V8 that is currently in the Denali and Escalade

are they doing this because Ford is putting out the 6.2L V8 and their 6.0L V8 will be one of the weaker engines in the truck market since it produces less than the new Hemi, the Boss, and the 5.7L Toyota?

The rumor has it that the 5.0 MOD that will go into the Mustang will be CGI, not Aluminum.

Two 5.0 programs right now. One from the 5.4. DOHC DI, code Coyote.

One from the 4.6, CGI, boosted DI DOHC, code Bobcat.

(needs to be CGI for wider bore space bulkhead strength)

One from the 4.6, CGI, boosted DI DOHC, code Bobcat.

(needs to be CGI for wider bore space bulkhead strength)

Wow, I hope the Coyote isn't a 5.4L block with a decreased bore size! If that's the case... Go, Bobcat, Go!

Why not just slap a 5.4 DOHC DI in there? With all that deckheight, it doesn't really make much sense to destroke it. That would be a physically huge 5.0.

The Australians can get 405 HP (Boss 302) out of the DOHC 5.4 without even trying, so could SVT in 2000, why can't Ford of today? I laugh everytime I hear of the 335 HP GT500-headed 5.4. There must have been some real dubasses involved with that one.