Boss engine pics inside

Blueblood

• 3 months later...
Just wanted to bring this back up from Jan 08.

I've been staring at this for a few days since you dug it out, waiting for someone to take it somewhere, but no one did. So, to what do we owe the pleasure of this thread's return?

I've been staring at this for a few days since you dug it out, waiting for someone to take it somewhere, ...

Same here !

Purely from a cost stand point, Bobcat does not make much sense. CGI is very expensive because it requires special ($$$ !) tooling.

With EcoBoost promising V8 performance at V6 fuel economy, my guess is that Bobcat is dead.

Wow, I hope the Coyote isn't a 5.4L block with a decreased bore size!

To quote Mr. Spock, "That is illogical !"

The 4.6L and 5.4L have the same bore size just different stroke. Many have already said the the bore is too small (there is a Ford Racing block that uses larger pistons, but has siamesed bores), so if the goal is a 5.0L, the "cheap" way to get there is a short stroke (and probably lower deck height) 5.4L. Most (all ?) of the existing tooling could be re-used.

I guess my question is: are they both 5.0 engines or are they both 5.x engines?

I think it's pretty well confirmed that the 4.6 is being overhauled and transformed into a 5.0, and it just doesn't make sense to me that working either up from the 4.6 or down from the 5.4 that Ford would get a significantly different 5.0. They are both mod. They are both 3-valve designs. I suppose you could destroke one and bore out another, but that still doesn't make much sense to me unless there is a specific reason to keep the mods current bore.

Now, if the 5.4 is getting a similar overhaul and being turned into, say, a 5.6-5.8 that would make more sense to me. It doesn't leave much room for a 6.2 at the top, which seems to be confirmed as well, but would make more sense as a 5.0 to a 6.2 jump seems very large for finding the right power band for a truck with specific hauling duties... I guess I'll just have to wait until Ford actually releases something.

I guess my question is: are they both 5.0 engines or are they both 5.x engines?

I think it's pretty well confirmed that the 4.6 is being overhauled and transformed into a 5.0, and it just doesn't make sense to me that working either up from the 4.6 or down from the 5.4 that Ford would get a significantly different 5.0. They are both mod. They are both 3-valve designs. I suppose you could destroke one and bore out another, but that still doesn't make much sense to me unless there is a specific reason to keep the mods current bore.

Now, if the 5.4 is getting a similar overhaul and being turned into, say, a 5.6-5.8 that would make more sense to me. It doesn't leave much room for a 6.2 at the top, which seems to be confirmed as well, but would make more sense as a 5.0 to a 6.2 jump seems very large for finding the right power band for a truck with specific hauling duties... I guess I'll just have to wait until Ford actually releases something.

Isn't the Boss 500 what John Force Racing is running in Mike Neffs Car. i hear its doing quite well. at least JFR has 4 cars in the top 10.