Escalating Price of Washer Fluid

J-150

The price of that stuff always goes way up during with winter.

It does. But the wholesale prices have doubled in the past month with the expectation that it will double again.

So where you normally pay 99 cents, you would now pay $5.

Sorry forgot about the guys in the great white north.

My community is going to feel the pinch of the economy too, I hear tanning lotion and ice tea prices will triple by summer. You guys should be alright though ;)

Yeah it will still be cold up there. :shades:

We got a nice rush of "Canadian Air" this week. It's 11 degrees today. What the hell kind of temperature is 11 anyway? Can't wait to get to the beach.

Washer fluid is still cheap here 2 Gal/$3.00 on sale. Of course Pittsburgh is usually 2-3 years behind the rest of the world.

Sorry forgot about the guys in the great white north.

My community is going to feel the pinch of the economy too, I hear tanning lotion and ice tea prices will triple by summer. You guys should be alright though ;)

I was talking about the insects that end up covering the windshield......

Edited by suv_guy_19

This reminds me of when Ford would put a windshield washer containers in cars that would hold... a cup?

jeez I hated that.

I like what they do now. Nice big ones. My only problem is that they make them now to fit a gallon. Well, the problem is you need to have a completely empty resevoir to empty the jug. The resevoirs should be 1.2 to 1.5 gallons.

A long time ago, the family business had a 89 F450 w460cid. The resevoir must have been 6 liters or so (1.5 gallons).

This reminds me of when Ford would put a windshield washer containers in cars that would hold... a cup?

My Mustang still has the rubberized bag that holds about a quart. My '66 T-Bird has a bag that ia about 50% bigger. My friend's '56 Lincoln has a glass "Pickle Jar" that holds about 3/4 Gal. I like that the Explorer will take a gallon when the low fluid light comes on.

Not only is the price going up, the place where I buy it is starting ID checks when you buy some. They cannot sell it to anyone under 18 in some places now - it seems that some of the kiddies have had the bright idea that the stuff has a high alcohol content and that it will give them a cheap and intense high. Problem is that they can"t seem to figure out that methanol is not quite the same as ethanol. Maybe we should direct them to the E85 pumps?

After winter is over I barely use a gallon of that stuff throughout the year. Damn road salt. Ill buy a case now at 99 cents a gallon and have enough for 3 years.

Agreed I normally use one gallon a year and they are probably increasing the price because the winters have been mild and profits are down. Buy enough to last a few years for less than $20.00 and when they can't sell the sh-t you will see the price fall back to where we expect it. It is not like gas in that we have to buy it every week to maintain. Boycott the sh-t and control the pricing!

Edited by Furious1Auto

Apparently, there is a shortage of methanol.

I heard on the radio that "they" are predition a gallon of washer fluid to hit $5 over the next couple of months.

Make your own. Use 10% methanol and 90% water with a dash of blue food coloring and Simple Green for the bugs.

When they have dry gas on sale. buy a bunch and add one to a gallon of water.

Voila'

Edited by mlhm5

Make your own. Use 10% methanol and 90% water with a dash of blue food coloring and Simple Green for the bugs.

When they have dry gas on sale. buy a bunch and add one to a gallon of water.

Voila'

Washer fluid? Gee... I always buy the Rain-X for $3 a jug and it's well worth the money. Buy that watered down blue shit and it'll freeze on you. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Washer fluid? Gee... I always buy the Rain-X for $3 a jug and it's well worth the money. Buy that watered down blue shit and it'll freeze on you. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

HMM, I somewhat agree the rainX brand is better but how good is it? If you are paying $3.00 now is it still better at 5 X the price like they are talking about increaseing standard windshield washer fluid? The increase is quite excessive and getting what you pay for doesn't justify letting yourself take a screwing when there are things you can do to stop it!

Edited by Furious1Auto

HMM, I somewhat agree the rainX brand is better but how good is it? If you are paying $3.00 now is it still better at 5 X the price like they are talking about increaseing standard windshield washer fluid? The increase is quite excessive and getting what you pay for doesn't justify letting yourself take a screwing when there are things you can do to stop it!

Can't speak for RainX, but the Preston Washer Fluid has been my choice for not freezing. Not so much needed here in NC, but when we go north for work, it really makes a difference over the blue stuff. Advance Auto stopped selling it though. It's getting harder to find.

Rain X is 95% isopropanol and methanol along with some thickening agents and light clays. Go pay $3 if you want, but you can make your own for much less.

If you want the best add a liittle Simple Green and 1% silicone (the stuff you put on to black your tires) to the mixture and you have the best on the market.

Edited by mlhm5

That Rain X is crap in really cold weather. It smears freezes and does not evaporate off, been there done that. We had some nice weather on the 29th -43c with a wind chill of -59C it was bittlerly cold.

We have the blue or green stuff here too but it is good to -45C.

If you have the crap stuff just go to the local hardware or paint store and grab a bottle of Methyl Hydrate used in thinning Shelacs and what not , As it is Methanol. Just add some to that cheap ass washer fluid and there ya go winter washer fluid . To top it off a bottle of Methyl Hydrate is cheaper than washer fluid.

Go figure eh

Matthew

Edited by matthewq4b

Agree, the rainx stuff is shit. The plain old fluid works the best. And there is no way in hell I would let silicone get all over my paint. I still dont believe washer fluid will be $5 a gallon, although I get it free anyway. Funny enough is I do it backwards, the generic washer fluid makes a fantastic thinner for model acrylics through an airbrush and the touch of glycerin acts like a retardant to make for better camo jobs as the paint doesn't dry so damn fast....

Edited by kevinb120

Ive had good luck with the rainx stuff. It doesnt seem to freeze as fast, but the nicest thing is after using it for about a year when it rains lightly I dont need to turn the wipers on the water rolls off the windshield.

I dont know about all that stuff going onto my paint, but I also wash my truck frequently and buff it out and use a nice zaino cleaner wax about every 3-6 months.