Isuzu to leave the US market

J-150

the Repulse?

:stirpot:

I dated a girl in college whose dad was a Buick/Isuzu dealer. She had a Turbo Impulse which was a lot of fun to drive back in the low power '80's. It was a good looking car for its time.

Anyone who isn't old enough to remember cars from '75 to '85 wouldn't understand. It was a weird time. The Disco Era of automotive styling. Maybe the designers were all on coke.

Yawn, not surprised. I had a Ford dealer who also owned an Isuzu store. He once showed me an email from his Isuzu rep who was blasting him for selling 20 vehicles one year. Yeah, 20 vehicles in a whole year. The place sold 20 Fords on a good Saturday. I remember how happy he was to get rid of an Isuzu pickup that had been on the lot for over 2 years!

Yawn, not surprised. I had a Ford dealer who also owned an Isuzu store. He once showed me an email from his Isuzu rep who was blasting him for selling 20 vehicles one year. Yeah, 20 vehicles in a whole year. The place sold 20 Fords on a good Saturday. I remember how happy he was to get rid of an Isuzu pickup that had been on the lot for over 2 years!

isuzu brat (or was that subaru) was kinda interesting..those seats in the bed area were kinda neat..no way that would ever be built today...im with you guys ..good riddance...one leaf from the jap tree has fallen..hope like hell the big 3 (or 2) can get the old stihl fired up and finally rid this country of crap built jap autos...

I would imagine Isuzu light trucks stay in the US(they make GM's cab-over city truck), as they are far better known for light diesel trucks then retail vehicles world wide. Isuzu used to sell TONS of Rodeo's years ago, they were one of the top sellers. Not investing in changing the platform meant certain death as they didn't make updated safety ratings. The Amigo was also a hot item in the early 90's. I had an 00 'Rodeo Sport'(Amigo was renamed in 00) and it was a great little truck with the DI motor. The Axiom was very strange to the public on release but now looks the norm for crossovers(even though Axiom was full-frame). Now it looks like a new model. The Trooper was the poor-man's Land Rover, and although it had horrible roll-over ratings, they have a unique 'safari' feel to them that I still like, although American drivers as a whole don't take well to vehicles that aren't designed for bad driving skills. It was however very competent off road.

I even sold a used Vehicross a few months back :) I put it on Ebay and people went nuts over it as they are quite the rare bird. It was the Plymouth Prowler of 2-door utes...The Impulse(pre GM/Geo cross breeding) was penned by the same designer at Bertone as the 928, hence the similarities. I'm not sure what influence GM had over Isuzu through the late 90's, but they gave up an enormous customer base by not investing in the Rodeo/Trooper, and the GM re-badges completely ruined the interest in the brand.

Edited by kevinb120

Funny I deleted a line that was to the effect that GM influence subsequently ruined an otherwise good and strong company, and that Saab is the next 'Isuzu'(irregardless that Saab's have always been a shit product). Not quite sure why GM took such a big shit on Isuzu.

And yes, 'the Impulse could go over 200mph'*

(*downhill, in a hurricane)

I've owned 3 Isuzu trucks over the years. They were all reliable. I would love to have my 82 Pup diesel back. The "cool" factor wasn't real high, but at 32 MPG fuel economy I would be willing to sacrifice my pride. I drove my friend's Rodeo once and was impressed with the power and handling of it. Wasn't it a rebadged Rodeo that gave Honda its first SUV? There used to be Isuzu pickups all over NE Oklahoma. The dealer sold them cheap. It seems that somewherr along the way, Isuzu lost interest in the US car market.

Yup, the Honda rebadge(which was uglied up) was their first SUV the Passport. Of course they charged much more for the same truck with less warranty then the the Rodeo and people bought a bunch of them because they were "Honda's" rather then get the better looking Rodeo(with aforementioned much better warranty). No to mention often paying higher interest over the incentive GMAC rates. The two vehicles had no difference in trim or options. Hmm, exact same options, ugly badges, higher rate, for more money with over 30k less warranty, I'M GETTING THE HONDA! :finger:

Just sticking the Honda 'H' feces on the car, they still managed to bugger it up. It was also Honda's only off-road capeable vehicle ever.

Later 3.2 DOHC model 99-up:(GDI on 04 Rodeo models)

0HPindex1.jpg

original Chevrolet 3.8L version:

honda_passport.jpg

Edited by kevinb120

Don't forget the Vehicross, with all sorts of AWD/4X4 settings(one of the best AWD systems in the world) including use on all road surfaces, 18" wheels(long before any other production SUV), Recaro seats and a little bit of 'personality' to say the least:

Vehicross_Black_d.jpg

We had a beautifully kept one come through here a few months back, I should of bought it.

Edited by kevinb120

GM ownes a substantial part of Isuzu, if not a majority.

GM sold its stake in Isuzu. Their share of Isuzu was actually part of GM's holdings in Fuji Heavy Industries, which is where the Duramax came from and I also believe their stake in Subaru as well. GM sold that stake, I believe in 2006, to Toyota.

Edited by NickF1011