Isuzu to leave the US market

J-150

Yawn, not surprised. I had a Ford dealer who also owned an Isuzu store. He once showed me an email from his Isuzu rep who was blasting him for selling 20 vehicles one year. Yeah, 20 vehicles in a whole year. The place sold 20 Fords on a good Saturday. I remember how happy he was to get rid of an Isuzu pickup that had been on the lot for over 2 years!

was it in Costa Mesa?

I would imagine Isuzu light trucks stay in the US(they make GM's cab-over city truck), as they are far better known for light diesel trucks then retail vehicles world wide. Isuzu used to sell TONS of Rodeo's years ago, they were one of the top sellers. Not investing in changing the platform meant certain death as they didn't make updated safety ratings. The Amigo was also a hot item in the early 90's. I had an 00 'Rodeo Sport'(Amigo was renamed in 00) and it was a great little truck with the DI motor. The Axiom was very strange to the public on release but now looks the norm for crossovers(even though Axiom was full-frame). Now it looks like a new model. The Trooper was the poor-man's Land Rover, and although it had horrible roll-over ratings, they have a unique 'safari' feel to them that I still like, although American drivers as a whole don't take well to vehicles that aren't designed for bad driving skills. It was however very competent off road.

I even sold a used Vehicross a few months back :) I put it on Ebay and people went nuts over it as they are quite the rare bird. It was the Plymouth Prowler of 2-door utes...The Impulse(pre GM/Geo cross breeding) was penned by the same designer at Bertone as the 928, hence the similarities. I'm not sure what influence GM had over Isuzu through the late 90's, but they gave up an enormous customer base by not investing in the Rodeo/Trooper, and the GM re-badges completely ruined the interest in the brand.

I recollect reading that the Axiom was to replace the Rodeo/Amigo chassis. When the thing didn't test well in the marketing prior to launch they choose to keep the old design in the showroom. The Axiom was DOA from Japan. The Rodeo was much loved, but your correct, it was ancient and obsolete at best. A guy that works down the hall from me has a Axiom. Thing looks like new! I'm sure he loves that thing. It looks like he does!

Yup, the Honda rebadge(which was uglied up) was their first SUV the Passport. Of course they charged much more for the same truck with less warranty then the the Rodeo and people bought a bunch of them because they were "Honda's" rather then get the better looking Rodeo(with aforementioned much better warranty). No to mention often paying higher interest over the incentive GMAC rates. The two vehicles had no difference in trim or options. Hmm, exact same options, ugly badges, higher rate, for more money with over 30k less warranty, I'M GETTING THE HONDA! :finger:

Just sticking the Honda 'H' feces on the car, they still managed to bugger it up. It was also Honda's only off-road capeable vehicle ever.

LMAO, I knew this man that bought one of those Honda / Isuzu's and he was all about telling me how much better the Honda version was over the Isuzu version. How Honda had taken it and fixed all the the things that were wrong with it from Isuzu before they sold them. I just let him talk and did a lot of "um hmm" and "Oh really" and afterwards just laughed to myself. I was thinking "Buddy, deep down you know you got took or you wouldn't be trying to sell it so hard to justify it to yourself."

Colorado is a GM, and it's DOA. Should have used a six instead of that stupid five banger.

From what I understand Colorado/Canyon was brought up from GM of SA which was using primarily a small diesel there hence the I6 never fitting in it. It was the equivalent of the Taiwanese-market Ranger Ford sells if they brought that here.

The press releases said "Isuzu will stop selling light trucks", so yeah they are stick with the medium duty trucks.

The first Impulse was based on the I-Mark RWD car, which was related to the 70's Opel Kadette and Chevy Chevette. Car mags liked the Impulse, but not the Chevette roots. That is why when they swtiched to Lotus suspension, they put that badge on. OR they could have had sticker "not a Chevette"

Don't forget the Vehicross, with all sorts of AWD/4X4 settings(one of the best AWD systems in the world) including use on all road surfaces, 18" wheels(long before any other production SUV), Recaro seats and a little bit of 'personality' to say the least:

Vehicross_Black_d.jpg

We had a beautifully kept one come through here a few months back, I should of bought it.

I still see a few of those around, in fact, I just saw one the other day.

GM sold its stake in Isuzu. Their share of Isuzu was actually part of GM's holdings in Fuji Heavy Industries, which is where the Duramax came from and I also believe their stake in Subaru as well. GM sold that stake, I believe in 2006, to Toyota.

I believe you're correct.

I recollect reading that the Axiom was to replace the Rodeo/Amigo chassis. When the thing didn't test well in the marketing prior to launch they choose to keep the old design in the showroom. The Axiom was DOA from Japan. The Rodeo was much loved, but your correct, it was ancient and obsolete at best. A guy that works down the hall from me has a Axiom. Thing looks like new! I'm sure he loves that thing. It looks like he does!

You all may not agree with me on this, but I actually don't think the Axioms look too bad. A person a few streets over from me has one, and it still looks brand new.

2002_rodeo_sport_small.jpg

My last 'personal car' was an Isuzu 2002 Rodeo Sport. 210hp V-6, 0-60 in 8.1 secs. Not bad for a topless truck!

It was better than a Wrangler in most ways except pure off-roading. It was fast & fun as heck. It's only two weaknesses were the [suck-ass] GM 4-speed transmission and soft shocks. The shocks were easy to cure with some KYB gas-adjusts. Cornering suddenly became lotsa fun, but that damn tranny was the pits.

I sold it at 110k with only a bad alternator and a coupla sensore replaced.

Damn I miss that thing. After owning that truck I know why some of you love RWD (mine was RWD, not 4WD). That thing was so much fun to whip around corners... its' short wheelbase was quite predictable!

If ever a Bronco came out to compete with the Wrangler, I hope Ford takes a coupla cues off my ex-

Dammit now I'm sad :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

You all may not agree with me on this, but I actually don't think the Axioms look too bad. A person a few streets over from me has one, and it still looks brand new.

I get them in used here and there and my neighbor has one, still looks fresher then any curent Honda product. They look better now then they did new as everyone is finally catching up to pre-GM reskin Isuzu SUV's. And its funny as a lot of the 4WD special abilities and selectable modes, options like power folding mirrors, large diameter wheels and the like that are highly touted on 'new' SUV's were available in the 90's on Isuzus. If you really look at how truly inovative Japanese makers like Isuzu and Subaru are(and have been), 'new' Toyotas and Hondas are so simplistic and crude(albeit quiet with nice plastic parts) truly are under the skin. This is why they laugh all the way to the bank as Americans are so enamored with Toyota and Honda's minimum-effort approach to designing automobiles.

Edited by kevinb120