Ford Motor Company Sales: January 2008

Blue Oval Guide

Who knows, it could be anything. Personally I think the appeal of the car has just flat died. People aren't into retro anymore which could spell disaster for Camaro and Challenger after a couple years.

They still manage to sell Miata's, and the GM roadsters and Accord coupes and Altima coupes.

but ALL of them combined proably don't equate to the stangs #'s ( may be an out of my a$$ comment )....2 doors are an indulgence vehicles either to younger age groups with amix of mid-life crisus guys...that morket is down right now, the common sense market seems to be up....

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knows, it could be anything. Personally I think the appeal of the car has just flat died. People aren't into retro anymore which could spell disaster for Camaro and Challenger after a couple years.

They still manage to sell Miata's, and the GM roadsters and Accord coupes and Altima coupes.

I don't think the Mustang appeal has died, it's just saturated and nothing significant has changed since 2005, the 3.5 V6 should already be in there.

I think there should be something to identify it yearly.....just a grill change or detail item (like from 1965 to 1966), and some running changes would help too: interior door panels should have been changed.

Mustangs are retro heritage inspired. It should be on a 3 year cycle refresh for this type of car. People are waiting for the 09 already. There's nothing wrong with the car. It's just Ford's typical marketing: send it out and leave it.

I don't think the Mustang appeal has died, it's just saturated and nothing significant has changed since 2005, the 3.5 V6 should already be in there.

I think there should be something to identify it yearly.....just a grill change or detail item (like from 1965 to 1966), and some running changes would help too: interior door panels should have been changed.

Mustangs are retro heritage inspired. It should be on a 3 year cycle refresh for this type of car. People are waiting for the 09 already. There's nothing wrong with the car. It's just Ford's typical marketing: send it out and leave it.

now theres something i have a question about...all i have read is the keeping of the rough 4.0......

Think about it: The economy is worsening as housing values continue to go down. Wall Street and investors are nervous. Mustangs are for most part second cars that sit in garages and driven on nice weekends. Many Mustang customers don't buy Mustang as everyday vehicle. Especially the convertible and specialty versions. I'm sure lots of prospective customers are out of market right now waiting for economy to improve. A Mustang GT is a nice bauble for someone who is feeling good about his/her situation. Maybe they made killing on stock or took out equity loan on appreciating house value. Those days are not here anymore and have to affect sport coupe market.

Initially, I suppose new Camaro and Challenger will do well because they are new and pent up demand for one, but after that if economy doesn't improve they will have stagnant to reduced sales too. That is just the way it is right now. Consumers are getting more cautious about spending and borrowing money as they should be.

but ALL of them combined proably don't equate to the stangs #'s ( may be an out of my a$$ comment )....2 doors are an indulgence vehicles either to younger age groups with amix of mid-life crisus guys...that morket is down right now, the common sense market seems to be up....

Sensible is having something that gives good MPG, there would be nobody more pissed of here than me, if Mustang sales dropped to such a level that Ford pulled the plug on it. Ford really do need to give the Mustang a helping hand here by improving fuel consumption and making it a more attractive vehicle.

BMW Mini is RETRO, it is small and UNPRACTICLE with no room inside, it's aimed at YOUNG buyers.

It does has something the Mustang does not have HIGH MPG, sales UP 44% last month.

Mini USA sales UP 44% in December 2007

http://www.motoringfile.com/2008/01/04/min...3-for-december/

Sensible is having something that gives good MPG, there would be nobody more pissed of here than me, if Mustang sales dropped to such a level that Ford pulled the plug on it. Ford really do need to give the Mustang a helping hand here by improving fuel consumption and making it a more attractive vehicle.

BMW Mini is RETRO, it is small and UNPRACTICLE with no room inside, it's aimed at YOUNG buyers.

It does has something the Mustang does not have HIGH MPG, sales UP 44% last month.

So....even UP 44%, it only sold HALF what the Mustang did. I think that pretty much sums up how successful the Mustang truly is. Sure, they still need to update it, but it's far from on life support.

my take on sensible was with things like a family oriented car with capacity and ease of ingress...but MPG's is obviously important as well....Mini...my reasoning ( 93 cooper S ), NO kids ( god forbid my mum to this day since my birth has been taking the morning after pill ) wanted a fun car, 6 speed, budget constraints, no need to haul people, and no other manufacturer ( including ford ) offered anything really comparable....gas was an after thought...NOW it would be a BIG selling point...I ave 28 mpgs, city and freeway.....

Has the Zephyr/MKZ experienced a true sales slump? It seems to me that these vehicles have been solid, even with everyone throwing so much hate their way.

Goodbye Jaguar!!!!! The XK is already posting a sales decrease, and calls into question how well the XF will hold up in the market after a year or so. That and the volume coming out of the brand is nothing to write home about. Ditto that over at LR. Put the resources that were once tied up in those brand to good use.

Overall not as bad as I thought it would be, but man I hope the trend towards the end of the year is a lot brighter.

Has the Zephyr/MKZ experienced a true sales slump? It seems to me that these vehicles have been solid, even with everyone throwing so much hate their way.

Don't forget the refresh is due out before the end of this year. If they address the few shortcomings the MKZ has, it should rebound rather well. There was very little the critics can complain about now. Jazz up the interior, give it a tad more power and it will truly be competitive across the board.

Overall not as bad as I thought it would be, but man I hope the trend towards the end of the year is a lot brighter.

If Ford can somehow manage to limit sales drops to 4-5% a month for most of the year, I think the end of the year may end up looking pretty rosy. After all, Ford's Janauary '07 sales were down 17% compared to January '06. Things just may be stabilizing a bit, which would be pretty remarkable if current market conditions persist or worsen.

Ford should be concerned that GM has stopped the sales slide and they have not. I was stunned to see the 8.4% drop in Ford's F-Series flagship line and a 4.3% increase in GM light truck sales.

Also there was a warning by Farley that 2008 is going to be "the most challenging for us and the industry". I think that is a serious heads-up for Ford watchers.

So....even UP 44%, it only sold HALF what the Mustang did. I think that pretty much sums up how successful the Mustang truly is. Sure, they still need to update it, but it's far from on life support.

I know the Mustang sales are still higher than the Mini Nick, and what Mustang owner ever talks MPG. You can't come out with the Mustang needs a styling refresh Nick its bullshit, the Mini is on it's third at the moment and it older than the Mustang (1959) and doing well on it sales up 44%. A refresh can ruin a car as well look what happed to the Mustang refresh it had in the mid 70's it was dreadful.

So what do you think Ford could change on the Mustang to give it a 44% sales boost Nick, the only thing l can think of is $1 a gallon gasoline.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

I wonder how much since you need to order a well-loaded Focus to get Sync in it with the way the packages where set up on it....

Damn, I just checked the Ford website and they are still giving you $1500 bucks in rebates back on the car...hmmm

In Canada Ford is giving from $850.00 up to $1,350 in what they call Delivery allowance.

Ford should be concerned that GM has stopped the sales slide and they have not. I was stunned to see the 8.4% drop in Ford's F-Series flagship line and a 4.3% increase in GM light truck sales.

Also there was a warning by Farley that 2008 is going to be "the most challenging for us and the industry". I think that is a serious heads-up for Ford watchers.

I'm concerned that you continue to post random information without putting it into perspective. Geez, give it up.

Don't forget the refresh is due out before the end of this year. If they address the few shortcomings the MKZ has, it should rebound rather well. There was very little the critics can complain about now. Jazz up the interior, give it a tad more power and it will truly be competitive across the board.

I look forward to the tweaks. I really only have a few minor issues with the car. Just a bit more refinement, and they are there.

Ford should be concerned that GM has stopped the sales slide and they have not.

You should be concerned about missing doses of your medication by spending too much time here.

straitjacket.jpg

And just try and convince me that you deserve any kind of reasoned response.

Because your conduct here over the last several days seems to establish that you do NOT.

Heck, I even dignify Ford??-LOL! with reasoned responses. You, on the other hand, parrot other people's conclusions with no thought whatsoever.

Tool.

I know the Mustang sales are still higher than the Mini Nick, and what Mustang owner ever talks MPG. You can't come out with the Mustang needs a styling refresh Nick its bullshit, the Mini is on it's third at the moment and it older than the Mustang (1959) and doing well on it sales up 44%. A refresh can ruin a car as well look what happed to the Mustang refresh it had in the mid 70's it was dreadful.

So what do you think Ford could change on the Mustang to give it a 44% sales boost Nick, the only thing l can think of is $1 a gallon gasoline.

side note...there is a HUGE difference between the mustang and Mini...i truley doubt they are cross-shopped...the Mini sells on its quirky-ness and character...it is a novelty in all reality....and between you and i , i think the Mini re-fresh has lost a lot.....

A few engine tweaks and some styling certainly COULD raise the Mustang's sales by 44%. However, Ford doesn't really NEED it to increase that much. It's already a class-leader in sales. Fuel prices be damned, people are going to still buy them if they look fresh (and hate the Mustang II if you want, but Ford sold a TON of them from 74-78), offer ADEQUATE fuel economy, and offer a good performance bang-for-the-buck. The economy will continue to work against it for awhile probably, but it has weathered rougher storms in the past.

You should be concerned about missing doses of your medication by spending too much time here.

straitjacket.jpg

And just try and convince me that you deserve any kind of reasoned response.

Because your conduct here over the last several days seems to establish that you do NOT.

Heck, I even dignify Ford??-LOL! with reasoned responses. You, on the other hand, parrot other people's conclusions with no thought whatsoever.

Tool.

You got the head of world wide marketing at Ford basically telling everyone 2008 is going to be a tough one and you don't think that is a warning for the rest of the year. I guess you know better than the head of world wide marketing when it comes to 2008, NOT!

Secondly, Ford has yet to stop the bleeding and is losing sales every month. The flagship F-Series line just dropped over 8% (Ford sells almost 3X as many trucks as cars) while GM increased over 4%, yet that tells you nothing. What it should tell you is the first half of the year is in the crapper.

Just wait 2-3 years and everything will work out, NOT!

Here's another reason why mlhm5 doesn't deserve to be taken seriously.

He compares "F-Series volume" with GM "light truck volume"

Here's Chevrolet's FULL SIZE TRUCK STATS FOR JANUARY 2008

Avalanche			 3,081	4,285  -28.1	3,081	4,285  -28.1
	 Silverado-C/K
	  Pickup			  36,122   38,393   -5.9   36,122   38,393   -5.9
Chevrolet Fullsize
 Pickups				  39,203   42,678   -8.1   39,203   42,678   -8.1

Not so different from the oldest truck on the market today, eh?