Any Ford Motor Company Engineers Here?

Big_Mack

Hello everyone!

This is my first post as a member here, and I just want to know if there are any engineers from Ford here. Right now I am a student at West Virginia University, and I am doing an engineering co-op program with Volvo Powertrain North America. So far I love working with Volvo, as it has always been my dream to be an engineer in the automotive industry(namely Ford Motor Company). I've been a die-hard Ford guy all my life and I hope to work for Ford sometime soon. If there are some Ford engineers here, how do you like working for the blue oval? Also, anybody here ever intern with Ford? If so, how was it?

Hello everyone!

This is my first post as a member here, and I just want to know if there are any engineers from Ford here. Right now I am a student at West Virginia University, and I am doing an engineering co-op program with Volvo Powertrain North America. So far I love working with Volvo, as it has always been my dream to be an engineer in the automotive industry(namely Ford Motor Company). I've been a die-hard Ford guy all my life and I hope to work for Ford sometime soon. If there are some Ford engineers here, how do you like working for the blue oval? Also, anybody here ever intern with Ford? If so, how was it?

Hey, are you working in Greensboro? I work for Volvo Finance (truck not car)

-shannon

I don't deal much with the Truck employees, I run the Volvo Finance data center in Greensboro. The only one I know from 3P is Chris Stadler.. ever heard of him?

I've heard there's been a lot of... pressure over there lately.

Yea..everyone is busy, but hey thats why we do what we do. If there wasn't pressure than it wouldn't be any fun. :shades:

Yea..everyone is busy, but hey thats why we do what we do. If there wasn't pressure than it wouldn't be any fun. :shades:

You got that right! Plenty of heat to go around.

Good luck on getting that job with FoMoCo. Although I've loved working for Volvo, very nice company, you should consider it if you have the opportunity.

-Shannon

Hello everyone!

Welcome to BOF!

This is my first post as a member here, and I just want to know if there are any engineers from Ford here.

Retired last year after almost 31 years.

NA Engineering is in kind of sad shape at the moment. Over 33% of salaried are gone (retired, buyout, "involuntary termination" or more and more just quit) in just the past 3 or 4 years. More cuts coming. At least another 10%.

Interesting/exciting projects (EcoBoost) are being outsourced. It was really sad when they closed the POEE Building last year. That building housed HF I's office and library. It was the first building ever built by HF exclusively for engineering.

Most of the engineers remaining are in their late 30's or 40's (Ford hasn't been hiring engineers for a long time, except in a few niche areas, and with buyouts, the young guys have all left) and are working their butts off (50 hr/week without OT pay is standard, many are working more) hoping to keep their job, pay the mortgage and save enough for the kids to go college

Sigh.

Uh yea.. i'm kinda aware of that...I work for the company

Sorry, read your first post too fast! Hagerstown, isn't that Mack's old engine facility? Some in the business (mostly old timers) are upset that Mark is loosing their own proprietary engines, as I hear the next generation Volvo engines will be reconfigured for Mack. I say not a bad deal, Volvo engines are hard to beat. If I were you and Volvo offered a permanent job, I would consider it. Got a feeling the best way into Ford engineering from this point on would be move to India. Heard New Dehli gets kind of hot.....

Sorry, read your first post too fast! Hagerstown, isn't that Mack's old engine facility? Some in the business (mostly old timers) are upset that Mark is loosing their own proprietary engines, as I hear the next generation Volvo engines will be reconfigured for Mack. I say not a bad deal, Volvo engines are hard to beat. If I were you and Volvo offered a permanent job, I would consider it. Got a feeling the best way into Ford engineering from this point on would be move to India. Heard New Dehli gets kind of hot.....

Yea, Hagerstown used to be Mack country...As far as the engines go, its basically Volvo engines with Mack valve covers and specific ECU tunes to give Mack customers their special torque curves. Kinda sad, but there isn't a whole lot of bulldog in any of the new Macks.

Yea, you're right about the permanent job comment. My hometown is about 15 minutes outside of Hagerstown, so if they offer me a good position after college I will definitely take it. Everyone I talk to has nothing but good things to say about how the company treats their employees, and everyone I work with has been great at making a college sophomore feel like a part of the team.

And to the guy that commented about the truck in my sig, I only wish we could get a 2010 prototype test mule built like that. The two nicest ones I have dealt with have been a 2010 Mack dump body truck with the "Gold Bulldog" (for those of you that know what that means)on the hood, and a VN series sleeper that was COMPLETELY LOADED inside. On top of that, out back it had four wheels with 445mm wide tires. They were sweeeeeeeet lookin!! There is also a pretty cool hybrid Mack drivin around too.

Hello everyone!

Welcome to BOF, I'm also interested in a similar job; MechE, University of Delaware (I interned with Caterpillar). Good to see fellow types and good luck.

We used to say the Macks with the gold bulldog on the hood were 'pedigreed'- that is all Mack drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles. Looks like Volvo is going to be primarily highway trucks, and Mack will be vocational from here on. Good luck with your career, I have also heard that Volvo was a good place to work.

We used to say the Macks with the gold bulldog on the hood were 'pedigreed'- that is all Mack drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles. Looks like Volvo is going to be primarily highway trucks, and Mack will be vocational from here on. Good luck with your career, I have also heard that Volvo was a good place to work.

Hey,good to see you know your Mack trucks...and yea, the Macks are basically offroad type trucks with a bit of Volvo highway influence nowadays..Thanks for career wishes too, I really hope things stay this way with Volvo!

Still too much Bureaucracy.

Example.

Lets say your job responsibilities change and you need a different computer. It could take up to 3 years (when your lease expires) to get you a different computer, even though there may be dozens of computers sitting in a store room waiting for their lease to expire in a year or more.

Even when your lease is up, IT does not review your job requirements. A computer with a larger screen (for those us who have to stare at one all day and are over the age of 50) is $10/mo more ($360 over the term of the lease). If the proper paperwork is not filed when new equipment is to be order, your screwed.

At one time, 30% of all of the computers that were on lease were "missing in action". Many were found on desks where people had left the company. Others were found in store rooms. The lease company collects every month, even though the lease should have expired.

Another example.

You need to buy an item to do your job. This a one time expense. You get on the phone or internet and find what you want from someplace that that has it at a fair price. If the company is not on the "approved" list, they will make the company sell it to an approved supplier, who adds 20% (or more) and then sell it to Ford.

Example.

Lets say your job responsibilities change and you need a different computer. It could take up to 3 years (when your lease expires) to get you a different computer, even though there may be dozens of computers sitting in a store room waiting for their lease to expire in a year or more.

Even when your lease is up, IT does not review your job requirements. A computer with a larger screen (for those us who have to stare at one all day and are over the age of 50) is $10/mo more ($360 over the term of the lease). If the proper paperwork is not filed when new equipment is to be order, your screwed.

At one time, 30% of all of the computers that were on lease were "missing in action". Many were found on desks where people had left the company. Others were found in store rooms. The lease company collects every month, even though the lease should have expired.

Another example.

You need to buy an item to do your job. This a one time expense. You get on the phone or internet and find what you want from someplace that that has it at a fair price. If the company is not on the "approved" list, they will make the company sell it to an approved supplier, who adds 20% (or more) and then sell it to Ford.

theoldwizard,

Not on this topic, but a few days ago, there was a request for information on PROCO history. I mentioned to the poster that you were a retired PT guy, and that the PT community was tight knit, so you might either have some information that might be useful to him, or maybe know if any of the guys that signed the SAE paper were still around (Wally Wade in particular) so maybe he could contact one of them. But...it's been 30 years ago.....

If you know anything, you might want to take a look at the PROCO string -- it's moved on down and I think it's now on page 2 of the postings.

Example.

Another example.

I think you just described the PC refresh scenario at every large company in the U.S. Don't worry, you're no worse than anyone else in this regard. :hysterical:

Example.

Another example.

That's pretty freaking Bassackwards

Example.

Another example.

....You have to pay to rent computers there?!?! On my first day working with Volvo I was assigned a free laptop with a username and wireless access within about 3 hours. On top of that, I was given a shoulder bag to carry it around in, 2 jump drives, and a docking station for my desk with a 17" monitor and laser mouse. Along with all that, I was also given a spare laptop to use in case I have to program an ECU in one of the trucks and leave it in there to record data files.

....You have to pay to rent computers there?!?! On my first day working with Volvo I was assigned a free laptop with a username and wireless access within about 3 hours. On top of that, I was given a shoulder bag to carry it around in, 2 jump drives, and a docking station for my desk with a 17" monitor and laser mouse. Along with all that, I was also given a spare laptop to use in case I have to program an ECU in one of the trucks and leave it in there to record data files.

"They" the employees don't pay for them. "They" the company has to pay for them from whoever they are getting the lease. It's quite common practice in most larger companies. It's easier to just return old machines at the end of lease and get a brand new machine from the supplier than to have to deal with mountains of outdated junk every few years.