Shelby vs Cobra R

rwh129

Just looking for some feed back...

In the long run which do you think will be a better investment, a Cobra R or the new Shelby 500.

According to:

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/mustang_cobra.asp

There were only 300 Cobra R's produced in 2000.

There were only 250 Cobra R's produced in 1995.

There were only 107 Cobra R's produced in 1993.

I heard lots of rumors about the new Shelby production #'s, any where from 5,000 to 10,000.

The R model is the only "Exclusive" SVT model. I too have been asking this question.

What would you rather have though? An autographed Shelby GT500, and never drive it, or a Y2K R?

If an investment, then what....In 40 years, when you can't push the clutch in anymore......Someone else will have to drive it onto the auction block at Barret Jackson.

I still like the R, and basing the cost of either car today as being the same, $40 to $50K spent today will be better invested on a house. (Can't believe I wrote that). Where's Norm, and the Mike's? We need another canyon run.

• 4 weeks later...
Just looking for some feed back...

In the long run which do you think will be a better investment, a Cobra R or the new Shelby 500.

According to:

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/mustang_cobra.asp

There were only 300 Cobra R's produced in 2000.

There were only 250 Cobra R's produced in 1995.

There were only 107 Cobra R's produced in 1993.

I heard lots of rumors about the new Shelby production #'s, any where from 5,000 to 10,000.

Definately a Cobra R....

IMO, the '95 R would be the best of the three. To me, that was the benchmark year, and the horse that showed the world what Ford *could* have done in a time when LT1 F-bodies were trampling the 302 Mustangs, which were at a 48 cubic inch disadvantage.

That being said, exclusivity or not, I'd mod the living hell out of a '95 R. I'm not about to buy something like that as a garage ornament. I'd buy it, personalize it, and enjoy it. If I'm spending the money, Im not spending it to see what it'll return on Barrett-Jackson in 2055. :read:

• 1 month later...

I have not posted on here in an eon however I thought the 95 was a particularly cool car as it did introduce a 351 at a time when Ford normally pushed smaller cubes. I looked on ebay at a 95 car for around 30k and if it was possible I would have bought that over my current project 72 Mach I and parked it next to my 03 Cobra

I have not posted on here in an eon however I thought the 95 was a particularly cool car as it did introduce a 351 at a time when Ford normally pushed smaller cubes. I looked on ebay at a 95 car for around 30k and if it was possible I would have bought that over my current project 72 Mach I and parked it next to my 03 Cobra

Ive seen one 95 R with low miles in that range before

the 95R is one that I would LOVE to own more so than the rest for some reason.

• 6 months later...

A 95 R went across the Barret Jackson stage in 2006. Had 32 miles on it, Shelby's signature and only sold for a litle over $30K. My bet is neither of them will become the "big time" collectables (Boss 302/429) in the short term. Given the initial cost most of us with disposable income (over 50) will never see the big dollars and the young kids that struggle to buy one move on to something else as they get a family just as I did with my 70 Boss 302 and 62 Corvette!