My Transit Connect pics!

I got $20 at 2 to 1 odd that it does not !

The whole NA Transit Connect was done on a shoestring with as much overseas engineering as possible. Minimal changes.

If they plan to sell it here for more than a year or two, it'll probably have RSC. RSC will be MANDATORY on all vehicles sold in the US by something like 2012 anyway.

• Like 1

Any vehicle with a high roof/high center of gravity has a tendency to roll over ...

Well your half right. It is the high CG that gets you. High roof, low floor, low driver/passenger position is probably not much worse than most passenger cars. Now load that puppy with some cargo that has a high CG and is not sufficiently restrained (i.e. can shift) and you won't have any moss on that rolling stone !

... if you take a corner too fast, ...

It's not corners, in the traditional sense, it is quick maneuvers (like yanking the well to the side to avoid a sudden, large pot hole or object in your lane) that will get you. And if the "first wag" doesn't get you, the "second wag" is worse.

My brother-in-law almost lost it with his Escape last year. He did a quick maneuver to miss a pot hole at about 35-40 mph on some black top with a bit of sand. The back end started to "come around" so he corrected. The back came around twice as bad the other way. Luckily it had scrubbed off enough speed be then and the tire sidewall did not fold under (big problem with Explorer tires) that everything was okay

Me too. They can't get it here soon enough. It's what Scion wished their sled could be, and if the price is right, there might be a surprising number of non-commercial purchases.

Look out Honda Element !

Unfortunately it will have the same problem the Element has. Underpowered. It really needs a 2.5L gas or 2.0L diesel and a 6 speed automatic like a PowerShift.

I would buy one, but I need Class II (3500 lbs) towing and would really like AWD.

aren"t they using Escape hybrids? Makes perfect sense in stop and go NY traffic....

With the gen II and gen III hybrid systems coming on line....the transit could benefit from the "old" power train in the 1st gen Escape for cost reasons (technology that is proven AND paid for) to keep cost low. A real hit for urban areas such as Chicago, Los Angeles, and of course the Big Apple.

Your idea of excess taxation is foolish. Long term cost reduction is the only real stimulus when coupled with renegotiation of trade agreements. Build refinnaries and utilze our relationship with the newly formed alliance with the standing Iraqi government, while drilling for new crude oil sights on U.S. soil!

known oil reserves. 95% of it is not here.

I'm not so sure. I think a sedan remains a better taxi option, at least in Manhattan, where you have a very high number of cabs on the street at any given time--why? visibility.

that is weak.

My concern:

Will it tip?

no it will not.

it is FWD unibody and low mounted drivetrain. I.E. low center of gravity.

the E-series is more prone to rollovers because the body on Frame raises the load floor thus the CoG. combined with the larger diameter wheels than their European counter parts makes them more likely to roll.

I understand that Ford N.A. is responsible for redesigning the Focus to make it a slightly bigger world car. The connect is based off the Focus. F.N.A can do the same for the Transit Connect. To make it sell better in USA, they can make the front end look Bolder, add a bigger engine option, over head storage, and seats for 8. (4 adults, 4 children)

Who said the Focus was getting larger? C1 focus is a good bit wider and longer then the current car, the current trend with the Fiesta is to keep a lid on size increases while focusing on reducing mass for better economy.

Why would you make the TC larger? it fits it market perfectly. we don;t want to be stupid and repeat the mid sized P/U mistake and make the TC Dakota of vans. If you want a minivan Make a minivan.

• Like 1

No, but a great deal of it is just north of the 49th parallel.....well....not for me, but for you.

here another thing We will have 0 control over the Iraqi government.

OIL is a dead end. When 95 % of it is not under your control, you should seek alternatives, not continue to waste resources trying to control weak governments that do control it.

We would be much better served as a people if We LEAD the world in developing technology to replace oil.

number to consider 1.3billion Chinamen only 110 million of them are "middle-class" and have the means to own a motor vehicle. that number will grow over the next 50 years. We are competing for resources we don't control just like the Chinese, in a free market money talks.

There is no hope for oil or for Gas. prices are high because demand is high, this is the future, get used to it. there aren't many elephant fields left and they are are not here, nor are they in china or Europe.

here another thing We will have 0 control over the Iraqi government.

OIL is a dead end. When 95 % of it is not under your control, you should seek alternatives, not continue to waste resources trying to control weak governments that do control it.

We would be much better served as a people if We LEAD the world in developing technology to replace oil.

number to consider 1.3billion Chinamen only 110 million of them are "middle-class" and have the means to own a motor vehicle. that number will grow over the next 50 years. We are competing for resources we don't control just like the Chinese, in a free market money talks.

There is no hope for oil or for Gas. prices are high because demand is high, this is the future, get used to it. there aren't many elephant fields left and they are are not here, nor are they in china or Europe.

220px-Top_ten_largest_oil_reserves_by_country.GIF

Notice the big red thing right above you. These are the countries with the ten largest oil reserves.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Who said the Focus was getting larger? C1 focus is a good bit wider and longer then the current car, the current trend with the Fiesta is to keep a lid on size increases while focusing on reducing mass for better economy.

I read it on one of the blogs. Can't remember which. Historically, a redesign does get bigger, roomier, and more upclass. I remember 20 years ago, an accord was smaller than the current civic. I would say close to the size of a fit.

Again you are right about the Fiesta.

The Focus is Fords most flexible platform and is getting more flexible. Flexibility adds cost and make it a poor choice for an economy care. Note the other cars off this platform are the Volvo s40 (could be replaced by new S60), Transit Connect and maybe you could say the EUCD (C1+) cars. With the higher cost over current American design, and the Fiesta raising the standards so high, Ford will have to raise the Focus upmarket a little.

Also note the Taurus is going RWD. The Fusion is going to be based on the Mondeo; much longer wheel base like the Malibu or a narrow Taurus. This leaves a hole sized the same as the current Fusion. Ford can take the Focus up market and add an inch in all dimensions, or they can make the Fusion with 2 different wheelbases.

known oil reserves. 95% of it is not here.

Under the rules of NAFTA, Canadian Oil is really American Oil. Canada can not cut off supplies of oil to the US with out opting out of NAFTA.

The world is not running out of oil. It is just running out of Cheap oil.

With new technology, I figure Canada has twice the oil in the oilsands than Saudi Arabia has total. As the technology develops this reserve will continue to increase.

Saudi A. used to pump oil out of the ground at $4 per barrel. To get more oil out of the ground, I have read that it now cost the Saudi's $20 per barrel. This is the same cost as the oilsand. Oilsands bitumen does need some minor upgrading.

There is a lot more heavy oil all over the world. The U.S. likely have as much oil in the oilshale as the whole Middle East.

If oil stays over $100 per barrel, you will easily be able to convert Garbage into Oil. Or anything else (straw, algae, coal)

Now Global warming with be another issue.

• Like 1

Under the rules of NAFTA, Canadian Oil is really American Oil. Canada can not cut off supplies of oil to the US with out opting out of NAFTA.

I suppose that Obama and Shillary didn't take that into account when they opened their yaps about backing out of NAFTA

:backtotopic: Transit connect, Best Security Light van 2007, ( 5 years running ), Best Light van 2007 (6 years running ), van of the year 2002, Inernational van of the year 2003, Fleet Light van of the year 2007 ( 5 years running ) and .......MOST RELAIBLE VAN 2007 ( votes counted in britains biggest reliability survey, involving 906,000 vehicles ) :bowdown: Edited by Deanh
  • Like 1

Lots of talk of low end mini van or taxi use. Problem is, there are too many 5 seat vehicle competing in these markets. If you can carrying just 5 persons, you can use anything from a scion to any 4 door. Also the concept of sliding doors and tall roof in a 5 seater is silly. If you can make it an 8 seater, then you will have something unique. You would not have to sell very many because you could put a good markup on it. The rear row would not have to be very big. Just need to be able to put 3 small children back there. Rear row would have to be able to fold up and be removable. Here is an idea. Put in aircraft like over head storage bins. This way you can carry 8 people and there stuff.

What could compete against this? It could do most of what a Caravan does at a much lower cost.

I understand that Ford N.A. is responsible for redesigning the Focus to make it a slightly bigger world car. The connect is based off the Focus. F.N.A can do the same for the Transit Connect. To make it sell better in USA, they can make the front end look Bolder, add a bigger engine option, over head storage, and seats for 8. (4 adults, 4 children)

I agree with the overhead storage, while I think a fixed 3rd row would work well if one of the second row seats was removed to give you easy access to the third. Also because of the high roof the third row would not have to be mounted directly to the floor. It could be se on a pedastool creating storage for luggage under the seats while incresing the leg room for the third row. If you saw the pic of the second ro seats, you can see they easily fold foreward. I suppose in this case it would be optional to eliminate one of the second row seats. That would make the connect "Club Wagon" a 9 passenger mini transport!

I read it on one of the blogs. Can't remember which. Historically, a redesign does get bigger, roomier, and more upclass. I remember 20 years ago, an accord was smaller than the current civic. I would say close to the size of a fit.

Again you are right about the Fiesta.

The Focus is Fords most flexible platform and is getting more flexible. Flexibility adds cost and make it a poor choice for an economy care. Note the other cars off this platform are the Volvo s40 (could be replaced by new S60), Transit Connect and maybe you could say the EUCD (C1+) cars. With the higher cost over current American design, and the Fiesta raising the standards so high, Ford will have to raise the Focus upmarket a little.

Also note the Taurus is going RWD. The Fusion is going to be based on the Mondeo; much longer wheel base like the Malibu or a narrow Taurus. This leaves a hole sized the same as the current Fusion. Ford can take the Focus up market and add an inch in all dimensions, or they can make the Fusion with 2 different wheelbases.

Flexibility adds cost but is more than offset by the volumes you can generate using shared architectures. C1 volumes are at about 1.2-1.3 million while C170 is at 250k. for the record I have seen no proof that C170 was less expensive to assemble than C1 is. C1 design is more modular and is made of more sub assembles, and takes less time to build.

The S40 issue have nothing to do with C1 and everything to do with volvo's image. the s40 should have been a youthful car not a stodgy sedan that is a size smaller than the 3 series. the replacement for the S40 will be 3door and 5 door hatches smae size as the current cars on C2 archtechture and aimed at the youth market I.E. more fun lower cost. the S60 will effectively replace the S40 Sedan and wagon being larger and more sophisticated than the S40 but better focus on the C/D luxury market than the S60.

I don't think the Taurus is going RWD. The Fusion is not growing by much, if we wanted another tweener Car (old Taurus) we would have kept it. The focus is not growing, the market is changing due to energy prices and dimension in cars will stop until energy price stabilize.

Ford will add a RWD car it will be a niche model due to CAFE and energy prices.

My concern:

Will it tip?

Could we be looking at the next liability for Ford Motor here, as the car was built for European, not American, roads. (How often do Europeans take their Transits up to 75 mph on a winding highway ?)

That's they need to make AdvanceTrac with RSC standard on this van.

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 1

Saying we're not running out of oil almost sounds to me like it implies that oil will last forever. i know that's not what you're saying, but the fact is, regardless of how much we know about, what country it's in, and how much we have yet to find, there is a limited supply, and we will run out one day. And as somebody mentioned, there are a couple hundred million people in Asia who are about to start using a shit load of the stuff.

Also, somebody said something about winding American highways at 75mph... Come to Europe and you'll learn a new definition for the term winding. We may drive slower in Europe, but the roads are much narrower and much less straight. I moved to London from Canada a few months ago, and I drive a Transit Connect on a regular basis at work, and I gotta say its never felt top heavy to me. Its really rather nimble, especially when you consider all the gear you're hauling in back.

And with that, I think it's time we had some quality, Transit-related entertainment. If you haven't already seen it, and even if you have, I give you the Transit Connect's big brother being tossed around the Nurburgring by a hot blond German lady:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dcw7MqsGbE

• Like 1

Flexibility adds cost but is more than offset by the volumes you can generate using shared architectures. C1 volumes are at about 1.2-1.3 million while C170 is at 250k. for the record I have seen no proof that C170 was less expensive to assemble than C1 is. C1 design is more modular and is made of more sub assembles, and takes less time to build.

The S40 issue have nothing to do with C1 and everything to do with volvo's image. the s40 should have been a youthful car not a stodgy sedan that is a size smaller than the 3 series. the replacement for the S40 will be 3door and 5 door hatches smae size as the current cars on C2 archtechture and aimed at the youth market I.E. more fun lower cost. the S60 will effectively replace the S40 Sedan and wagon being larger and more sophisticated than the S40 but better focus on the C/D luxury market than the S60.

I don't think the Taurus is going RWD. The Fusion is not growing by much, if we wanted another tweener Car (old Taurus) we would have kept it. The focus is not growing, the market is changing due to energy prices and dimension in cars will stop until energy price stabilize.

Ford will add a RWD car it will be a niche model due to CAFE and energy prices.

Hard to say.

I would not say the C170 Focus was cheaper to assemble. I would say it is assembled with cheaper parts. In both quality and cost.

The Taurus has a wheelbase of 113. The Mondeo has a wheelbase of 112". Fusion is currently 107". With it's current sales volume I would say the Taurus is a niche model. If the next Fusion is shared with the next Mondeo, I would say it will be growing in size. If you want to improve on CAFE Kill the Crown Vic. and replace it with the RWD Taurus. Replace the Taurus with the Mondeo-Fusion. Replace the Fusion with an enlarged Focus. Replace the Focus with Fiesta.

Now I think of it. The Mondeo and the C1 Focus have a lot in common but they have a big difference in size. It might make sense to fill the gap a little.

The truth on the size of the next Focus depends on the sized of C cars coming from Opel and Renault.

Just checked, a saturn Atra, same as an opel has a wheelbase of 106". A Nissan Sentra, must be the same as some renault, has the wheelbase of 105.7". I would say the Focus comes up short at 104".

Edited by battyr