Ford Moves Ahead with Plans to Build the MKT

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not too much of a surprise here. Looks like the production version will lose its "notchback" in order to accomodate a realistic 3rd row, which is fine with me. The only part of the concept I really didn't like was the back end. May 2009 would be a bit earlier than expected if they can pull it off.

Jim Hall of 2935 Analytics LLP in Birmingham does not expect the MKT to be a major volume vehicle for Lincoln, but he said it is important because it is part of a segment that is still being defined. "It's a high-image niche vehicle that shows off the Lincoln face," he said. "The best thing that could happen for them is if they could pull buyers from areas they don't expect."

Wrong! Since when is a Lincoln 7-seater a niche product? He's probably looking at the concept and mis-interpreting the final product.

And there are test mules of the MKT floating around so they have a final production design and they only need consumers to tweak it before Ford signs off on it. This is not about approving the product, it's about finalizing the production version.

Thank-you sir. The 2-row concept reminded me of the kind of interior found in a Mercedes-Maybach, only $200,000 less expensive! :)

With 2 rows, they can offer reclining back seats. Luxury.

makes me think of the legroom in the 70's Continental (the land yacht)

Regarding 3 rows vs. 2

2 should, IMO, be an option based on this test:

Could you gracefully enter/exit the 3rd row in evening wear? No? Then it shouldn't be there.

At least on some models.

Interesting test.

However, I think it can be gotten around by having a third row that collapses into the floor, and then having 2nd row seats that can slide all the way to the back to maximize 2nd-row legroom.

That way, Mom can tote the kids to day-care and after-school activities during the week, and then double-date with her husband in supreme comfort on Friday night.

Ah, I finally figured out what inspired this concept! If the MKT does go 2-row and the next 300 turns into the Nassau, then Lincoln and Chrysler will birth a new segment.

31-chrysler-nassau-concept.jpg

What! Ford and Chrysler steal each others' designs?! NEVER!

427Concept.jpg

LXCX48_X_PXRx.jpg

Edited by wescoent

What! Ford and Chrysler steal each others' designs?! NEVER!

427Concept.jpg

LXCX48_X_PXRx.jpg

Well, they never actually produced the 427 ;)

Ford is not an adventurous company, they play their cards very cautiously and a 2-row MKT is not cautious so I would be stunned if the MKT is anything other than a sleeker version of the 7-seater Flex. The MKT will look SUBSTANTIALLY different in order to make the MKT 7-seatable.