Ford Flex Roams the Streets of NYC

range

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

still not a big fan of the headlights. but the back end is so evenly proportioned its amazing.

That back end is really going to piss a lot of people off at night, with the glare off the chromed rear end. When I first read about that a year ago, I thought WTF? I hate just the glare off a chromed bumper in certain situations.

But again, WTF, I'm a who cares about anything behind me, it's what's in front I have to worry about. Now you may have to dodge bullets in the highways in Calif. Oh wait, you already do.

Spring driving opened TODAY. Time to start packin.

That back end is really going to piss a lot of people off at night, with the glare off the chromed rear end. When I first read about that a year ago, I thought WTF? I hate just the glare off a chromed bumper in certain situations.

But again, WTF, I'm a who cares about anything behind me, it's what's in front I have to worry about. Now you may have to dodge bullets in the highways in Calif. Oh wait, you already do.

Spring driving opened TODAY. Time to start packin.

Well, technically the rear panel isn't chrome, it's just polished aluminum, or meant to look like polished aluminum. I can see your point, but in reality, it probably won't reflect any worse than shiny clearcoat paint though.

I saw the Flex in the streets of NYC yesterday and spent some quality time in all six seats - and MAN!!! - they did it right ...

I do not have it written up yet, but I have this up already: http://www.autosavant.net/2008/03/new-york...-interiors.html

The low level of interior quality crossovers is SHOCKING - and I am happy the Taurus X and Flex counter the trend. I do not see how anyone considers the Highlander, or Acadia, to have good interiors - the Flex's only competition in the interior department is Tuareg, Enclave, and Venza - and we know only one one of them has third row of seats.

(BTW MKS is another winner - the interior is top notch, and the new Tuxedo Black is truly stunning in person)

Edited by igor

Looks nice...and useful to me. Looks about like in the middle, size wise, between a current Explorer and the Expedition, with fuel economy of current V 6 Explorer.

I'm in the market for something like this. Being retired, and liking to travel, I make a lot of long trips out West from Florida with my beater 98 V 6 (4.0 SOHC) Explorer, hauling my bicycle, fishing rods, hiking boots, tent, and lots of motel books, laptop, etc, averaging about 22 MPG for road driving. I don't drive fast. If I stay around 65-68, where speed limit is sometimes 75, I can get 24 MPG tank after tank, if no serious headwind. Going thru 1-2 tanks most days, for 2-3 weeks, gas mileage is important.

I have been wanting something slightly larger, with better economy. This may be it. I don't need fancy, but practical. But I'm probably in monority about the fancy part. I like our family sedan to be nice, my truck doesn't matter as long as it works. Also eagerly awaiting the Transit. It's plain, and that may be better for what I want.

Edited by Ralph Greene

Looks to me like a Mini Cooper's (very) big brother.

I always think that as well, why is it Ford Pick-Ups, SUVs & Coupes feel sooooooo good, and their cars dont?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWcNiebYGuo...feature=related

Why not chop the Flex and make a character car from it as well, that would be a first in a long time for Ford a car with character?

WKA2008031965409_pv.jpgcomm1.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Well, technically the rear panel isn't chrome, it's just polished aluminum, or meant to look like polished aluminum. I can see your point, but in reality, it probably won't reflect any worse than shiny clearcoat paint though.

Ford has been using that design detail for years with no problems. I had a similar thing on the tailgate of my 1990 ranger pickup. It's not very reflective.

I saw the Flex in the streets of NYC yesterday and spent some quality time in all six seats - and MAN!!! - they did it right ...

How can you say they did it right when it can carry no more cargo than a Ford Explorer? There is not a minivan out there that can only carry 82 Cu. Ft. of cargo.

How can you say they did it right when it can carry no more cargo than a Ford Explorer? There is not a minivan out there that can only carry 82 Cu. Ft. of cargo.

Will you take some Midol! I'll help Igor out here by starting it out this way...

HE SAT IN IT, HAVE YOU, HAVE YOU EVER SAT IN ANYTHING YOU ALWAYS COMPLAIN ABOUT?

IF you have then you've set a Guinness world record..

Will you take some Midol! I'll help Igor out here by starting it out this way...

HE SAT IN IT, HAVE YOU, HAVE YOU EVER SAT IN ANYTHING YOU ALWAYS COMPLAIN ABOUT?

IF you have then you've set a Guinness world record..

Thats good stuff! :finger:

ever sat seven in your car P?.......behind 3rd row rear seat explorer 13.6, Flex 19.4, behind second row Explorer 43.9, flex 45............and please name ANYThing that has 82 cubic feet aside from a transit Connect and a Econoline....leaving passengers at home?....Explorer...behind first row 83.7, Flex 86.7....but only room for two....