FORD MOTOR CO. MARCH 2008 SALES FIGURES

Eh, the sales have their bright spots. And it's not like F-series sales are GONE by any means. It's still the best-selling vehicle in the US. All said and done, it will probably remain the best-selling vehicle in the US too. Yes, there are spots where Ford needs to attack, but they are taking the right approach and will be in those critical markets soon.

Let hope the new the F-Series fuel efficiency is well weatherproofed for $150 a barrel oil prices that it might have to encounter in the not to distant future, you right it's still the best selling vehicle in the world it's not end thats for sure Nick.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let hope the new the F-Series fuel efficiency is well weatherproofed for $150 a barrel oil prices that it might have to encounter in the not to distant future, you right it's still the best selling vehicle in the world it's not end thats for sure Nick.

It will get to a point where the price of oil will not matter one way or the other. People will still NEED fullsize pickups, so at least some market will still exist no matter what. That market will probably still be pretty big too, especially if improvements to fuel economy become more important, as people will want to get rid of their older "inefficient" trucks for a new one that gets a few MPG more.

And it's not like fuel efficiency in other types of vehicles is increasing at some super-fast rate above and beyond what pickup trucks offer. On average, I would say a fullsize pickup gets about 60% of the fuel economy of a typical midsize car. That ratio likely isn't going to change much, so it's not going to eliminate the market for trucks as much as some people want to think. Seems some people have the idea that every car on the market will soon be getting 80 MPG while fullsize trucks will still be getting 15 MPG.

Then next time, mention the 2.3 I4 :)

I did...a very LONG time ago:

Per ford.com:

Ranger engine options:

2.3 I-4 143HP and 154TQ

3.0 V6 148HP and 180TQ (useless engine of the century right there)

4.0 V6 207HP and 238TQ

I have a friend with a Ranger 3.0 and it spends most of it's life running at 2500+ RPM. It is a completely useless engine in that truck.

Yeah, ford made a mistake replacing the 2.9L with the 3.0L in the ranger back in 1991. I have a 1990 2wd 2.9L and it consistantly does 23 MPG with 130,000 miles on it. People I know with far newer 3.0's can barely do as good on gas as my 92 4.0L 4x4 explorer (17-20). The only way a 3.0 isn't gutless is when it's running at 3000+ RPM. That means 4.10 gears are a must for 2wd's and 4.56's for 4x4s.

Personally I'll just stick with my other 1990 ranger complete with the 2.3L lima and 5-spd. 250,000 miles, gets 25+ mpg, and runs as good as the brand new Focus I rented for a week while on vacation (which was by far the nicest small car I've ever driven. I think I might buy my fiance one over the summer).

My 2.3 ranger still has at least another 250,000 in it, but if I get sick of it or hit a deer or something, I'll probably get a new 2.3 duratech ranger. Although I would love to see Ford put the D35 in them too!

It will get to a point where the price of oil will not matter one way or the other. People will still NEED fullsize pickups, so at least some market will still exist no matter what. That market will probably still be pretty big too, especially if improvements to fuel economy become more important, as people will want to get rid of their older "inefficient" trucks for a new one that gets a few MPG more.

And it's not like fuel efficiency in other types of vehicles is increasing at some super-fast rate above and beyond what pickup trucks offer. On average, I would say a fullsize pickup gets about 60% of the fuel economy of a typical midsize car. That ratio likely isn't going to change much, so it's not going to eliminate the market for trucks as much as some people want to think. Seems some people have the idea that every car on the market will soon be getting 80 MPG while fullsize trucks will still be getting 15 MPG.

Gotta agree with you on all that you have said Nick, if Ford did come up with a 60 MPG smaller pick-up showrooms they would be swamped out with buyers wanting to buy one. You could then go global with it, l for one would buy one today if Ford done a global awesome 60 MPG F-150 pick, yes l would like one with the biggest engine most torque but with fuel at $10.26 a gallon here Ford would not shift next to none in Europe, but a 60 MPG F-150 might become the best selling vehicle in Europe.

ford-hydraulic-hybrid.jpg

Yes please

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/02/60_mpg_ford_f15.php

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

I would guess less than 8 percent of F-series buyers "need" the vehicle they choose. 25-35 percent might need a full size pickup with the capabilities found in similar products 15-20 years ago, but very few need the size and power being sold today.

With small vehicles selling more over the next 5 years, and the trend for Ford's products being obvious, it will be interesting to hear what is to become of the Ranger over the next few years indeed.

I would guess less than 8 percent of F-series buyers "need" the vehicle they choose.

Cool, I'm in your very exclusive 8% group! Where did you come up with this guess? Phone or mail surveys?

If ya'll think the price of fuel is bad for truck sales go talk to a boat dealer!

In America if they can really afford it people can have what they want not just what someone else thinks they need. No different than a family of 3 that live in a 5-bedroom house on 3-acres.

Cool, I'm in your very exclusive 8% group! Where did you come up with this guess? Phone or mail surveys?

If ya'll think the price of fuel is bad for truck sales go talk to a boat dealer!

In America if they can really afford it people can have what they want not just what someone else thinks they need. No different than a family of 3 that live in a 5-bedroom house on 3-acres.

Heck, I'm sure 8% of most car buyers don't NEED what they bought.

Most people could pack their families into a Chevy Aveo really. That's all they NEED, unless they have more than 3 children.

Most people don't need air conditioning. Most people don't need a stereo. Most people don't need an automatic transmission.

Great thing about this country...people can buy what they WANT, as long as they can afford it.

Heck, I'm sure 8% of most car buyers don't NEED what they bought.

Most people could pack their families into a Chevy Aveo really. That's all they NEED, unless they have more than 3 children.

Most people don't need air conditioning. Most people don't need a stereo. Most people don't need an automatic transmission.

Great thing about this country...people can buy what they WANT, as long as they can afford it.

I'd go a step further and say the great thing about this country is that people can afford a lot of what they want, as long as they're not complete bums.

Hmm Sable sales nearly doubled, yet GM sales got cut in half

Yeah, I find that perplexing at best. :do what:

Taurus outsold the CV again

It's amazing what finally running some TV ads will do....ditto for Sable.

Glad to see most of the sales decline for Mercury/Lincoln are thanks largely to the irrelevant panther products. Losing sales of those fleet queens is a healthy reality check.

Yeah...great reality check, trading high profit margin Panthers for low profit margin D3s.....

L_c295eaa31c251b9c3e10f11068d2eccf.jpg

Good to see Ranger's up with $3.50 a gallon gas....maybe someone in Dearborn will notice.

I was researching Ranger fuel economy over at RangerForums.com, seems the V6s do get fairly hideous gas mileage but the 4cyls get pretty good MPG overall.

Edited by Armada Master