• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chrysler March U.S. sales fall 19 percent

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressReleas...129858520080401

GM off 13 percent

Toyota Motor Co off 3.4 percent

Sales at Honda were up 4.2 percent. Nissan posted a gain of 3.6 percent.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSN...lBrandChannel=0

Mazda US: - 12.8%

Mazda Canada: + 11.7%

Mazda Mexico: + 12%

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/20...afx4840888.html

GM off 13 percent

Ahhh adjusted numbers. Ford were down 7.6%

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews...127851620080401

Edited by Michael Reynolds

I think we did well this month considering all the BS that the economists are throwing about. I work in retail and have not seen the slowdown that the gloom and doomers are preaching.

The second quarter will not be as bad as they say. Many on wall street say the financials have bottomed out and have nowhere to go but up. That should help the turn around in attitudes toward the economy.

mlhm5 may need to get laid! You have sooo much time on your hands to devote to something you hate and at the end of the day we don't care what you think. I just laugh that your pathetic life is so empty that all you can find to do is troll a ford fan board and try to raise hell.

Don't you read the WSJ? Apparently not.

GM off 13 percent

GM off 19% in US sales of cars and trucks.

Toyota off 10% in US sales of cars and trucks

Chrysler off 19% in US sales of cars and trucks

Apparently, "the analysts" were calling for a 10% drop, so 7.6% in a falling market is OK, given the comparative lack of marketing.

I believe the Flex gets launched in June. Be good to have a new model at the dealers.

Highlights of March sales:

Focus still defying conventional thinking on this site and many others by skyrocketing up the C car marketshare rankings. Cobalt must have reduced their fleet sales and reduced the rebate since they became an also ran in March. Have not seen detailed sales data on either the Corolla or Civic but I doubt they grew at the level of the Focus. I was fortunate to drive one a couple of weeks ago and I can certainily understand why it is selling as well as it is. Most refined small car I have ever driven.

Edmunds says Ford once again has the lowest average rebate amongst the Big 3 in March. Is it possible that it was lower than last year again?

Edge becoming a must-have product on West Coast. I really thought the Edge would have already plateaued but forunately not.

Dated Fusion up again. I suspect that alot of folks coming to look at Focus are being sold up to the Fusion. Which is good since I am pretty sure that the Focus plant is already surpassing normal capacity at the moment. They only have two shifts working at a three shift plant, correct? What is max capacity on two shifts at the Focus plant, Wayne, MI IIRC?

Escape, Mariner continue to grow. Even before the engine and tranny updates that are on the horizon. Tribute numbers not seen but based on last two months sales it appears to be exceeding expectations over on the Mazda side as well.

Taurus holding up much better than expected. Maybe fleet. Same for Sable.

Mustang is a Spring kind of purchase. Hopefully these sales were more heavily retail than fleet.

Lowlights:

F-series drop was painful but expected I guess. Just I expected it to happen long before March. Chevy didn't do any better with much newer product to offer.

Econoline is what really disappointed. Is the hideous base version black grill turning off some commercial customers? Or could this be attributed to the economic slowdown causing companies to put off capital asset purchases?

Town Car. I had really hoped that pent up geriatric demand on retail side would have been higher than it has turned out to be. Wishful thinking on my part.

Overall, March was better than expected. I was predicting about 19K for Focus. If Focus can maintain it's momentum throughout the year, the addition of the MKS, Flex, and F150 could really help Ford pick up some retail market share towards the latter part of the year. I do expect April and May to be painful but late June through the end of the year should look much better. Fortunately, the American Axle strike is forcing GM to cut back it's inventories which bodes well for the entire industry and Ford should benefit from it more than most. And the almighty Toyota's monthly declines are getting closer and closer to the % declines of Ford each month. Afterall, other than the Corolla, they don't exactly have alot of new sheetmetal to push. The Camry started getting long in the tooth about six months ago, but historically dated product has not been an issue for Toyota. Maybe things are slowly changing, and maybe, just maybe the Corolla re-do will be welcomed with a resounding thud. Once again I don't know what their sales were for the Corolla in March, as I write this it may be common knowledge that the Corrolla sold 45K.

Edge becoming a must-have product on West Coast. I really thought the Edge would have already plateaued but forunately not.

I think the Edge is relatively less known in California, than it is here on this forum, or in the Midwest.

Honestly, I think a fair bit of the boost in Cali is due to a sort of year long double-take. They, collectively, may have seen one sometime around launch last year, but it didn't register. Now, with Farley apparently concentrating on regional campaigns, the Edge may be re-entering customer radar.

Those are declines that weren't adjusted according to the number of selling days.

Ford never adjusts for selling days, "Every day's a selling day."

It is interesting that Toyota has moved closer to Ford's level, rather than the opposite, this year, and it is also interesting that GM's sales are down more than Ford's.

===

And one Farley note. I hope that this guy isn't just a 'whiz kid', who will, inevitably leave behind a vacuum. Ford doesn't need another genius that fails to build a structure that tends toward sound decision making.

I think the Edge is relatively less known in California, than it is here on this forum, or in the Midwest.

Honestly, I think a fair bit of the boost in Cali is due to a sort of year long double-take. They, collectively, may have seen one sometime around launch last year, but it didn't register. Now, with Farley apparently concentrating on regional campaigns, the Edge may be re-entering customer radar.

I would think so. I'm starting to see more and more of them everyday.

Toyota only sold 25,109 Corollas in March. Down 26.9% from last year. Since the "new" model has been available for over two months now it seems unlikely that this sales drop can be attributed to the change over to the new model at whatever plant builds it. It may still be too soon to say this but it looks like the Focus is making inroads into an import stronghold.

I wonder how the Civic held up to the Focus onslaught.

Civic sales up 18.6% (adjusted for # of selling days; unadjusted up 10%) with 32,740 units sold.

Source

BTW, Cobalt down as well.

The C170-2 Focus is out of the blocks an running and will set the stage for the C2 Focus.

Ford's goal with the Focus should be to emulate the Civic's 32K/month sales - something for the C2 Focus?

Ford Ranger is doing really well again. With gasoline at $4.00 a gallon, a ton of consumers are buying Rangers which is a good thing. Hopefully, ford see's the demand and keeps the ranger around longer. I do want ford to put the new 2.5 I4 in the ranger, That would be a good thing.

I could not agree more. Ford needs to take a look at Ranger again with fuel prices the way they are. I think they would be surprised what some new sheet metal, a new interior and powertrain upgrades could do for this little pickup in the current market conditions. Along with that new 2.5L I4 engine replace the 4.0L with the more efficient Duratec 35. I know they extended production for another year, but it's time to put some money into this little truck and improve it both in style and economy.

I could not agree more. Ford needs to take a look at Ranger again with fuel prices the way they are. I think they would be surprised what some new sheet metal, a new interior and powertrain upgrades could do for this little pickup in the current market conditions. Along with that new 2.5L I4 engine replace the 4.0L with the more efficient Duratec 35. I know they extended production for another year, but it's time to put some money into this little truck and improve it both in style and economy.

Sounds like a plan.

T6 Global Ranger replacement is still a ways of and not sure it is slated for North America.

It is supposed to be in production in other parts of the world by about 2011 (2012 YM?)

Given Mulally's hatred for duplication, I'd say you'll probably have an answer pretty soon.

Dated Fusion up again. I suspect that alot of folks coming to look at Focus are being sold up to the Fusion. Which is good since I am pretty sure that the Focus plant is already surpassing normal capacity at the moment. They only have two shifts working at a three shift plant, correct? What is max capacity on two shifts at the Focus plant, Wayne, MI IIRC?

Yes, the success of the Focus should and probably is helping out Fusion sales, especially the I4. The I4 Fusion is not that much more, and is bigger vehicle with decent rear leg room, and only marginally worse gas mileage. And you can get it with Sync also and it's sporty looking. IMO, the I4 Fusion is a better deal and comes with 5 speed auto.

Yes, the Focus plant is working two shift and no overtime including Saturday. Right now the plant produces about 5,000 Focuses/week or 20,000/month. Going into prime selling season, I would suspect some Saturday work will be scheduled as Focus should go over 20,000 units in April and May if not June also.

As for the Town Car, I have noticed Lincoln/Mercury Dealers in Metro Detroit for first time in long time have new TC's sitting on lots for sale to anyone. So I would imagine monthly sales should creep ut to 3,000 or so/month when you count in a few retail sales and fleet. Metropolitan LM in Garden City, MI has three new TC's for sale front and center. Special sale price in window.

Ford Ranger is doing really well again. With gasoline at $4.00 a gallon, a ton of consumers are buying Rangers which is a good thing. Hopefully, ford see's the demand and keeps the ranger around longer. I do want ford to put the new 2.5 I4 in the ranger, That would be a good thing.

I could not agree more. Ford needs to take a look at Ranger again with fuel prices the way they are.

In what parallel universe are you living where the Ranger gets good gas mileage? The Ranger gets shit for mileage with both the 3.0 and 4.0 V6.

Ranger 4WD:

3.0 - 14/19 annual fuel cost $3,056

4.0 - 14/17 annual fuel cost $3,262

F-150 4WD

4.6 - 13/17 annual fuel cost $3,491

5.4 - 13/17 annual fuel cost $3,491

So, for an extra $435 dollars a year, you can have a 4.6/5.4 F-150 over a 3.0 Ranger. OR, for an extra $229 dollars a year, you can have a 4.6/5.4 F-150 over a 4.0 Ranger.

In what parallel universe are you living where the Ranger gets good gas mileage? The Ranger gets shit for mileage with both the 3.0 and 4.0 V6.

Ranger 4WD:

3.0 - 14/19 annual fuel cost $3,056

4.0 - 14/17 annual fuel cost $3,262

F-150 4WD

4.6 - 13/17 annual fuel cost $3,491

5.4 - 13/17 annual fuel cost $3,491

So, for an extra $435 dollars a year, you can have a 4.6/5.4 F-150 over a 3.0 Ranger. OR, for an extra $229 dollars a year, you can have a 4.6/5.4 F-150 over a 4.0 Ranger.

I get better milage than those figures, combined averages even. I clock 21mpg averages like clockwork. In fact, just a feww weeks ago i hit a new best out of a tankful average of 22.15. Im religious about checking mpg every time i fill up. i have a 2004 2wd, 3.0L, 3.73 open diff with a manual trans. EPA sticker of 17/24 on it which i constantly hit on the high side of as (again) averages out of a tank.

Edited by Sixt9coug

For anyone interested Land Rover's Global sales are up 12% for Q1 2008. I'll see if I can find a link later, but I read it in the Birmingham post. Apparantly Land Rover and Jag are trying to sell more cars outside the USA as the US enters a recession.