FORD MOTOR CO. MARCH 2008 SALES FIGURES

In what parallel universe are you living where the Ranger gets good gas mileage? The Ranger gets shit for mileage with both the 3.0 and 4.0 V6.

Ranger 4WD:

3.0 - 14/19 annual fuel cost $3,056

4.0 - 14/17 annual fuel cost $3,262

F-150 4WD

4.6 - 13/17 annual fuel cost $3,491

5.4 - 13/17 annual fuel cost $3,491

So, for an extra $435 dollars a year, you can have a 4.6/5.4 F-150 over a 3.0 Ranger. OR, for an extra $229 dollars a year, you can have a 4.6/5.4 F-150 over a 4.0 Ranger.

Most sales are from the 2.3 I4.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could not agree more. Ford needs to take a look at Ranger again with fuel prices the way they are. I think they would be surprised what some new sheet metal, a new interior and powertrain upgrades could do for this little pickup in the current market conditions. Along with that new 2.5L I4 engine replace the 4.0L with the more efficient Duratec 35. I know they extended production for another year, but it's time to put some money into this little truck and improve it both in style and economy.

I agree. The ranger is even doing better than it did last year. I talked to one of the salesmen at Dave Sinclair Ford and he said they are selling rangers like crazy, he also said he has not seen that in a long time.

Best selling Brand in March in the US was Mini sales up +26.4%

Biggest loser was the Hummer, sales dipped down -23.3%

Is this an indication that Americans are getting smaller in size or are they now looking for more fuel efficient vehicles?

Would it then not be a good idea if Fords bottom end models with the smallest sized engines in each model range should be equiped with class leading MPG in every market Ford sells into so when ever there is a downturn in the market Ford can best weather through the storm.

Car Sales all brands March 2008

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/01/by-the-...ers-march-2008/

Old outdated models are supposed to show declines in sales Nick, it's put all the much newer models sales to shame yet again. What attribute do you think the old girl has got Nick thats putting the old Rangers sales ++++ up up, when everything else is ---- down down?

Fuel economy. Plain and simple. People sure aren't buying Rangers for their segment-leading interior. :hysterical:

Toyota –2.9% at 192,791 (3/07: 213,820)

Ford –6.7% at 187,828 (3/07: 216,788)

Chevrolet –16.9% at 164,564 (3/07: 213,156)

Honda 6.9% at 125,446 (3/07: 126,406)

Nissan 3.1% at 93,100 (3/07: 97,242)

Peugeot Fuel Efficient 207 have just clock up 1,000,000 sales in 2 years despite the production line not being up to speed in the 1st year.

Still the new Fiesta will be give the Pug a few nightmares come October.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/02/peugeot...lionth-new-207/

If the new 2.5L is all they say it is, what would the ranger lineup look like?

Regular cab 2wd XL/XLT 2.5L and 3.0L PIP

Reg cab 4wd XL/XLT 2.5L and 3.0L PIP

Extended cab 2WD XL/XLT 2.5L and 3.0L PIP

Extended cab 4WD 3.0L PIP and 4.0L Cologne

I believe that they should not only change out the 2.3L for the 2.5L, but also drop the 3.0L Vulcan for the 3.0L PIP, then limit the 4.0L Cologne to the Ext 4X4 only. Lets look at it. The D30 PIP is substantially lighter than the C4.0L. The D30 VCT currently produces around 210 lbs of torque in the CD3s. The PIP should manage to improve on that by about 10 lbs, so, lets guess at around 220 lbs. The HP number was rumored to be around 235-240 hp. As compared to the C4.0L, thats about 30 more ponies and about 20 fewer lbs. Given the reduced weight on the motor, coupled with its greater fuel efficiency, I doubt it will be missed. It could still be offered in the 4WD extended cab where the extra torque would most likely be missed the most. Some may bemoan the loss of torque for towing purposes, but, that can be somewhat overcome with gearing, especially since the D30 does much better as the RPMs rise than the C4.0L. I would guess that the D30 PIP could likely be given a "truck tune" that would possibly sacrifice a little HP to boost the torque as well.

But, really, I would suggest these changes not just for sales purposes, but also for CAFE purposes. They can't help but improve the efficiency of the little truck. I might also try to do some more minor tweaks to the ranger to increase commonality with other vehicles in the fleet. That's about it. If its slated for replacement, its way too late for a true MCE. Just a powertrain upgrade and some minor tweaks. Given the market momentum, it may be all it needs to keep its plant profitable.

If the new 2.5L is all they say it is, what would the ranger lineup look like?

Regular cab 2wd XL/XLT 2.5L and 3.0L PIP

Reg cab 4wd XL/XLT 2.5L and 3.0L PIP

Extended cab 2WD XL/XLT 2.5L and 3.0L PIP

Extended cab 4WD 3.0L PIP and 4.0L Cologne

I believe that they should not only change out the 2.3L for the 2.5L, but also drop the 3.0L Vulcan for the 3.0L PIP,

Didn't they already get rid of the Vulcan 3.0? If not, WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Best selling Brand in March in the US was Mini sales up +26.4%

Biggest loser was the Hummer, sales dipped down -23.3%

Is this an indication that Americans are getting smaller in size or are they now looking for more fuel efficient vehicles?

Would it then not be a good idea if Fords bottom end models with the smallest sized engines in each model range should be equiped with class leading MPG in every market Ford sells into so when ever there is a downturn in the market Ford can best weather through the storm.

Car Sales all brands March 2008

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/01/by-the-...ers-march-2008/

I think you have hit the nail on the head. It's interesting to compare Land Rover with MINI. Both companies make fantastic products, both companies have growing international sales. But Land Rover's US sales are falling whilst MINI's goes up. It's not just a Land Rover thing, most companies with SUV's that are a few years old are seeing sales drop. The US car makers should take note. If your not making Premium SUV's for global markets then long term your SUV sales are screwed...

I think you have hit the nail on the head. It's interesting to compare Land Rover with MINI. Both companies make fantastic products, both companies have growing international sales. But Land Rover's US sales are falling whilst MINI's goes up. It's not just a Land Rover thing, most companies with SUV's that are a few years old are seeing sales drop. The US car makers should take note. If your not making Premium SUV's for global markets then long term your SUV sales are screwed...

Oh yeah. Since everybody is instantly going to stop buying SUV's. For comparison, the Expedition alone outsells the entire Land Rover lineup in the US. Enough with the sky-is-falling BS.

Didn't they already get rid of the Vulcan 3.0? If not, WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Per ford.com:

Ranger engine options:

2.3 I-4 143HP and 154TQ

3.0 V6 148HP and 180TQ (useless engine of the century right there)

4.0 V6 207HP and 238TQ

I have a friend with a Ranger 3.0 and it spends most of it's life running at 2500+ RPM. It is a completely useless engine in that truck.

To read most of these replys you would think that Ford is doing OK what with the Escape, Edge , Ranger, and Focus sales up. But the heart of the profitable lineup (E-Series, Expidition, & F-series) is dropping like a stone. Coupled with the general demographic disadvantage that Ford has versus the competition (meaning generally older buyers) means for both a difficult year this year and the potential for a continuing long term drop in sales if the new products forecast do not grab significant shares of the market. At the current sales rate, Ford will sell 2.4 Million units in the US this year with vehicles that are at a lower profitability mix. Let's keep in mind that that is 500K fewer than just 2 years ago which itself was considered a disaster (not to mention about 1.8M units less than in 2000). I sure hope Ford has defined its lowest allowable sales volume like Bob Rewey used to do because if they don't, it could be freefall all the way to bankruptcy. For the sake of the multitudes that still work for Ford, I hope they survive, but it will be a near thing from my perspective.

Of course, missing in your gloom was the shift younger in Focus volume. Also missing was any recognition that 1) Ford's incentive spending was on a par with a year earlier, 2) Ford's market share is ahead of internal projections, and 3) E-Series and F-Series sales aren't going to vanish into thin air. It's not as though the US has never been through a recession before. I mean do any of you guys remember 2001?

I was in college and broke before 2001. $1.46 was a fortune to me then too. :hysterical:

How did you come to own and run a 1969 Corvette then Nick? and a Mustang, a Ford Transit is about exciting as it gets in Europe at the moment, life is just great fun if you like Fords here, the rest just send you to sleep with boredom.

To read most of these replys you would think that Ford is doing OK what with the Escape, Edge , Ranger, and Focus sales up. But the heart of the profitable lineup (E-Series, Expidition, & F-series) is dropping like a stone. Coupled with the general demographic disadvantage that Ford has versus the competition (meaning generally older buyers) means for both a difficult year this year and the potential for a continuing long term drop in sales if the new products forecast do not grab significant shares of the market. At the current sales rate, Ford will sell 2.4 Million units in the US this year with vehicles that are at a lower profitability mix. Let's keep in mind that that is 500K fewer than just 2 years ago which itself was considered a disaster (not to mention about 1.8M units less than in 2000). I sure hope Ford has defined its lowest allowable sales volume like Bob Rewey used to do because if they don't, it could be freefall all the way to bankruptcy. For the sake of the multitudes that still work for Ford, I hope they survive, but it will be a near thing from my perspective.

And yet revenue continues to grow on lower sales. Kind of makes your whole argument useless.

Edited by suv_guy_19

How did you come to own and run a 1969 Corvette then Nick? and a Mustang, a Ford Transit is about exciting as it gets in Europe at the moment, life is just great fun if you like Fords here, the rest just send you to sleep with boredom.

Well the Corvette is still technically my father's. It's a rat race between my little brother and myself to see which one of us actually ends up with it. Right now it needs some work to get back on the road. I figure whichever one of us gets off our ass the most to get it running again will end up with it in the garage.

As for the Mustang, I was young and still living at home with the folks. I bought it new before I had any concept of what rent was. :hysterical:

And yet revenue continues to grow on lower sales. Kind of makes your whole argument useless.

That's the part everybody is missing. They don't necessarily NEED to regain sales (immediately anyway) if they can keep increasing revenue on existing sales at the rate they current are. Amazing what trimming your workforce in half and cutting warranty costs by millions will do for your bottom line.

North America needs to learn how to make a profit on $70 billion of revenue.

in 2006 they had $69 billion revenue and $6 billion loss

in 2007 they had $70 billion revenue and $3.5 billion loss

They seem to be getting there. Workforce and warranty cost reductions are a big part of that. Shared global engineering will contribute even more. It's not going to fix itself overnight, but all indications are they are on their way.

I have a friend with a Ranger 3.0 and it spends most of it's life running at 2500+ RPM. It is a completely useless engine in that truck.

My dad has the 3.0 in a 2wd extra cab: my uncle gets better gas mileage in a 5.4 f150 Screw 4x4 of all things (on the same exact roads, in semi-rural TN). I have no idea how- but I know they argue about it all the time, because my dad doesn't see the need for a bigger truck, but it's actually more practical in his case.