Drive One

range

I like that even more now that I've seen the final product. Quality. Green. Safe. Smart. Simple and to the point.

Interesting choice of the four vehicles used. All are the backbone of the "new" Ford and all four are enjoying increased sales in a serious recession. All four represent what Ford is to become.

“As good as our story is today, it’s going to get even stronger as we continue to accelerate the launch of new and freshened products, including the Ford Flex, F-150 and Fusion this year, the Transit Connect and a new Mustang next year, and a lot more that we haven’t announced yet.”

I'm probably wrong, but this seems to be the first definitive statement about the new Fusion's launch.

I like it.

It sends the message Quality very well.

The other aspects like safety, green, and smart, builds ontop of the quality message. They all relate to each other and are consistant with a quality message.

If the ads just say "Ford has quality", people won't believe it. But by saying what Ford is doing to improve quality, it is more believable. They show a car that has quality. People can do their own research and confirm it is true.

They are consistently, indirectly reminding people they have quality. They need to maintain this approach until people know that Ford has better quality than Toyota. Then they can change the message to be more direct, like "Ford has best quality".

This is also a very good ad for a company that is in the middle of a turnaround. It show off Fords strengths and achievements in individual cars. And tells people to see for themselves.

Congratulations! Farley has proved that he is doing something more than just kiss ass and make himself look good.

I am sold.

This is, without a doubt, the best ad campaign for a car company I have ever seen. It is bright, cheery, confidence building, and honest without feeling cocky, arrogant, or emotionless. I like upbeat yet soft music in the background and the connection between the people obviously committed and talented in their jobs and the vehicles they build, engineer, and build. I also like how it connects to what I thought was a successful Fusion Challenge and Swap My Ride campaign, not focusing on hype or overtly boring or hip images that won't last. These comericals remind me of the very old days of advertiseing (remember that I am only in my early 20's) when ads explained why you should buy a product, not just a collection of seemingly random attractive people using a product with modern music in the background. These ads explain why and how Ford vehicles are better than ever while also providing an emotional tie to the vehicles, company, and employees. With Alan, Mark, Farley, Kuczak (i cant spell his name) Hornby, and the rest of the team on board, along with critical launches in the 09-10 model years such as the F-150, Flex, Fusion, MKZ, MKT, Fiesta, MKS, and Taurus comming, Ford will rock the future!

Even though Ford don't sell or make SUV's, sports cars or muscle cars for the UK market anymore l don't think the "Think Green" next to an SUV logo would go down to well in the UK, it might start a bit of a riot with the greenies. It sounds like Ford are telling me to Drive One, Ford won't have to bother with adverts like this when the new Fiesta arrives l think folk will want to make there own way naturally to a Ford showroom without being told by Ford to do so.

Even though Ford don't sell or make SUV's, sports cars or muscle cars for the UK market anymore l don't think the "Think Green" next to an SUV logo would go down to well in the UK, it might start a bit of a riot with the greenies.

Well it is the most fuel efficient SUV on the planet now! :P

Even though Ford don't sell or make SUV's, sports cars or muscle cars for the UK market anymore l don't think the "Think Green" next to an SUV logo would go down to well in the UK, it might start a bit of a riot with the greenies. It sounds like Ford are telling me to Drive One, Ford won't have to bother with adverts like this when the new Fiesta arrives l think folk will want to make there own way naturally to a Ford showroom without being told by Ford to do so.

Ford in UK is in a very different position from US - the problem for Ford is not subpar product (lack of standout product is a problem though). In US the problem is that people do not CONSIDER Ford cars when shopping - these ads are intended to change that and get people to the dealer to test the cars. Most people - once they test a Ford - realize that they are great cars fro their needs and buy one ...

It is simple as that at this point.

Igor

The message is right for the world. The ads can be changed for local markets. To sell "Think Green" in the UK, you would not use an Escape Hybrid. You would use a Ka diesel. It's the message that comes from marketing people. The individual ads come from advertising people.

i love how all the domestics are rolling out these little Web 2.0 color keyed icons. Apparently people are too stupid to read anymore so we need a little icon legend that sums up detailed characteristics.

That happened a long time ago when they changed all of the idiot lights on the dash to symbols. Rather than saying "LOW COOLANT", or "CHECK ENGINE", they have all of these stupid symbols...some of which are orange, some are red, and some are green.

What was wrong with saying CHECK ENGINE?

That happened a long time ago when they changed all of the idiot lights on the dash to symbols. Rather than saying "LOW COOLANT", or "CHECK ENGINE", they have all of these stupid symbols...some of which are orange, some are red, and some are green.

I have to agree here - especially as research proved that older people gradually lose the ability to recognize symbols (especially quickly), but retain ability to read quickly - helce US' refusal to use symbols on traffic signs - all written out Complete opposite from Europe:

US: NO PARKING

EU: nosymbol.jpg

US: sign.jpg

EU: solar-powered-traffic-sign.jpg

REGARDLESS

This is sort of irrelevant to the campaign - the goal with the color-coded image-based icons is further branding - in the future (if this campaign is successful and kept up with) a purple Ford ad will be immediately recognized as talking about quality - an orange one about smart features - this might even permeate into Ford brochures, where quality features will be highlighted in purple, safety features in blue, and smart features in orange ... if done well this can have great potential for re-imaging Ford, Ford's communication, and Ford's materials.

ETC.

Igor

Edited by igor

Honda CR-V 2.2 Diesel does 36 MPG and about 41 US MPG Urban we don't have a Ford SUV whats the average MPG of the Escape just interested?

http://www.carpages.co.uk/honda/honda-crv-...-1-07-05-07.asp

Imperal gallons vs US Gallons?

In US numbers, the 2007 4WD Honda CR-V i-CTDi diesel is rated at:

• 29.1 City
  • 41.3 Highway
  • 36.2 Combined

The 2008 FWD Ford Escape Hybrid is rated at:

• 34 City
  • 30 Highway
  • 32 Combined

The 2008 4WD Ford Escape Hybrid is rated at:

• 29 City
  • 27 Highway
  • 28 Combined

The Escape does better in the city over the CR-V and the CR-V does better in highway mileage, plus I can't buy one in the States either...

I have to agree here - especially as research proved that older people gradually lose the ability to recognize symbols (especially quickly), but retain ability to read quickly - helce US' refusal to use symbols on traffic signs - all written out Complete opposite from Europe:

US: NO PARKING

EU: nosymbol.jpg

US: sign.jpg

EU: http://uk.gizmodo.com/solar-powered-traffic-sign.jpg[/imf]

ETC.

Igor

It's not an issue of comprehension. Every Engish Canadian know what arret means when travelling in Quebec. Every French Quebecer know what Stop means when travelling in Canada. But if you ever put a "Stop Sign" not an "Arret" up in Quebec, you would have a war.

In Europe you have may be 20 different laguages. Most people know either a little Engish, German or French, but if you don't use their language, people get very upset. That why they use those stupid symbols that no one can under stands.

post-27751-1207241748_thumb.jpg

I agree about the idiot lights, but I disagree about the incorrect use of the graphics on the web site (I know that you did not say this, but I wanted you to know that I agreed with your comment on the idiot lights). Small graphics that provide a visualized key to each section are a GREAT method of drawing the eye to where it needs to go and maintains a consistent look and feel. While some software and web pages have overdone that, I really liked how this page was done in terms of the graphics. Richard might have more to add about this since he does some web design as well.

On the other hand, I wasn't super fond of those Flash-animated menus. They would quite frustrating for a novice user to navigate.

Edited by SVT_MAN

It is odd, reading igor's post, and deciding that this topic is more or less in need of a twist, at least until we get some news.....

Anyway, it's odd that symbol recognition goes away with the elderly, because road sign symbols were initially adopted to dramatically improve recognition.

A single symbol can represent a concept (Merge) in place of a word shape that is harder to read, thus allowing for the sign to be recognized from further away, and more rapidly than text.

==========================

Regarding the icons on the website: They're not necessary, and not particularly intuitive. A CFL with light rays around it could be suggestive of environmental concern as well as 'a ha' moments.

The magnifying glass is almost universally used on the net for searches. Using it as a symbol for quality is odd.

The safety and environment icons are good. However, the failure of the other two to distinctively signify anything blunts their effectiveness. Also, they don't dominate the text to the right. They're just kind of there.

===

However, I must say that Ford's globalization effort has yielded its first concrete, observable result.

Ford NA is now using a Gothic font similar to the rest of the Ford empire.

I think the magnifying glass works well for quality. Simliar to the old phrase of "going over it with a magnifying glass". And the bulb has been the standard for "ideas" as long as I have been alive.

I think Richard's concern (and it's a valid one that I had not considered) is that people are going to see the magnifying glass and think "search." If you're using IE, Firefox, or Opera, look at the right-hand corner of your browser. You'll see a magnifying glass for the search tool.

I'm not sure what other way Ford could represent quality, but that's why they pay marketers the big bucks. Ford's magnifying glass would probably work if it weren't a web-related campagin, but what campaign these days doesn't have a web component?

The stupid thing about their light-bulb is that it isn't a "regular" old-fashioned light bulb. It tries to mimic one of those energy efficient flourecent bulbs. While those bulbs are actually more energy efficient and I like them, I think it is a mistake that they chose a flourescent light bulb instead of a "normal" one. Upon first glance, I looked at it and went "what is that?" A regular light bulb is instantly recognizable.

I mean, I get it. They're trying to show how they're up on the latest trends and environmentally-friendly ... blah blah blah. But they don't need to do that with a small symbol, where instant recognition is far more important than the message it conveys. I could be mistaken, but I don't believe too many people would think "Ford isn't environmentally friendly because they have a regular light bulb for a graphic on a button."

The other thing I just noticed while I was looking at the icons is that they are pretty small. On my 1680x1050 21" monitor, I can barely make out the safety and "smart" icons. There certainly are short comings with this campaign, and I think most of my praise for this campaign was misdirected to praising the graphics because this campaign is actually somewhat-well thought out ...

Edited by SVT_MAN