Compact Pickup at Livonia Trans

FordBuyer

I was going by Livonia Trans today on Levan Rd. and saw a four door compact pickup in lot along fence that faces the road. It is all white and in big letters on tailgate it says XLT. It is the size of a Nissan Frontier and looks much like it, but with Ford blue oval on it. I was moving kind of fast and in a hurry and didn't get a long look at it, but did check it out in rear view mirror when stopped at light turning onto Plymouth Rd. Good looking small pickup. I guess it could be a European Ranger, but not sure. Anyone know?

I was going by Livonia Trans today on Levan Rd. and saw a four door compact pickup in lot along fence that faces the road. It is all white and in big letters on tailgate it says XLT. It is the size of a Nissan Frontier and looks much like it, but with Ford blue oval on it. I was moving kind of fast and in a hurry and didn't get a long look at it, but did check it out in rear view mirror when stopped at light turning onto Plymouth Rd. Good looking small pickup. I guess it could be a European Ranger, but not sure. Anyone know?

My guess is the Thai designed Ranger:

2007_Ford_Ranger_2.jpg

My guess is the Thai designed Ranger:

2007_Ford_Ranger_2.jpg

Yes! That is it. Only this one is white and it has four doors. Good looking truck. I hope Ford decides to make this small pickup here or at least import it. Better to build it here I would think. Give it a 6 speed auto and new 3.5 liter V6 and maybe Ford can pull 24mpg out of it. Ford better do something so that it doesn't lose another recognized brand name in Ranger.

Yes! That is it. Only this one is white and it has four doors. Good looking truck. I hope Ford decides to make this small pickup here or at least import it. Better to build it here I would think. Give it a 6 speed auto and new 3.5 liter V6 and maybe Ford can pull 24mpg out of it. Ford better do something so that it doesn't lose another recognized brand name in Ranger.

i almost get 24mpg now as an average. if you do the math im probabkly getting 24 or slightly over on the freeway now. My last fillup i got 22.2mpg out of a tank average. with 80% freeway driving. so i imagine it already hits 24 on the freeway pretty easily.

of course... the extra 100hp out of the 3.5 would be nice.

Check it out at Livonia Trans plant if you live around there and get a chance. It's much bigger in person than you think. Bigger than present Ranger. I would say the size of Nissan Frontier or Toyota Tacoma. Ford needs a pickup this size with four doors and decent size truck bed with modern V6 and trans. Now that it will be getting $2 billion from JLR sale and substantial cost saving from other areas, it can afford to replace the Ranger the right way.

3 options:

1) Argentinian/South American 4door Ranger:

1big.jpg

since you said this is much larger than our Ranger - this is probably not it

2) "Global" Ranger made in Thailand

Ranger_Wildrak.jpg

This is most likely it, as #3 would most likely not be sitting outside without a camo - if it even has a prottype built yet

3) 2011 Ford F100 - Ford is readying a new midsize truck to compete with the other midsize trucks in the US. For some reason the Thai built Ranger sold globally will not be sold here, but Ford NA will built their own small/midsize truck. This will ride on lighter and smaller F150 frame. As said above, however, given the time line, if this truck probably still only exists as clay models and computer renderings. And if there is a mule or prototype, it would be very heavily camouflaged ....

Igor

3 options:

1) Argentinian/South American 4door Ranger:

1big.jpg

since you said this is much larger than our Ranger - this is probably not it

2) "Global" Ranger made in Thailand

Ranger_Wildrak.jpg

This is most likely it, as #3 would most likely not be sitting outside without a camo - if it even has a prottype built yet

3) 2011 Ford F100 - Ford is readying a new midsize truck to compete with the other midsize trucks in the US. For some reason the Thai built Ranger sold globally will not be sold here, but Ford NA will built their own small/midsize truck. This will ride on lighter and smaller F150 frame. As said above, however, given the time line, if this truck probably still only exists as clay models and computer renderings. And if there is a mule or prototype, it would be very heavily camouflaged ....

Igor

The Thai Ranger is an awesome truck to see in person. Since the F100 is vaporware as of now, the Thai Ranger is the best choice IMO. Ford will have to show the F100 this year somewhere if it is to have replacement for Ranger which ceases next year. The Ranger name is iconic, and should not be abandoned IMO. Maybe they can do a premium F100 model and call it a Ranger. Keep the name around somehow.

The Thai Ranger is an awesome truck to see in person. Since the F100 is vaporware as of now, the Thai Ranger is the best choice IMO. Ford will have to show the F100 this year somewhere if it is to have replacement for Ranger which ceases next year. The Ranger name is iconic, and should not be abandoned IMO. Maybe they can do a premium F100 model and call it a Ranger. Keep the name around somehow.

As far as I know there will be gap between the end of Ranger and start of F100 - that is a the reason Ford is importing the Transit Connect.

I believe Ranger is to remain for SMALL trucks - F100 will be midsize. Ford Australia is developing the new T6 platform for a new "global small truck " (Ford's words) I am confident that truck will carry the Ranger name. I am hopeful that small truck will be sold here in the US as well - I am a big Ranger fan and my better half is actually looking to buy one by the end of the summer.... small trucks simply rock ..

If Ford does do that they will have a great 4 truck lineup of Small Ranger, mid size F100, 1.2 ton F150, and 3/4+ Super Duty - with the Full-size trucks moving to their gynormous sizes, There is a chance for a well done Truck to take on the people who do not like the big-rig design of the F150. We shall see how well Ford delivers.

Igor

Edited by igor

As far as I know there will be gap between the end of Ranger and start of F100 - that is a the reason Ford is importing the Transit Connect.

I believe Ranger is to remain for SMALL trucks - F100 will be midsize. Ford Australia is developing the new T6 platform for a new "global small truck " (Ford's words) I am confident that truck will carry the Ranger name. I am hopeful that small truck will be sold here in the US as well - I am a big Ranger fan and my better half is actually looking to buy one by the end of the summer.... small trucks simply rock ..

If Ford does do that they will have a great 4 truck lineup of Small Ranger, mid size F100, 1.2 ton F150, and 3/4+ Super Duty - with the Full-size trucks moving to their gynormous sizes, There is a chance for a well done Truck to take on the people who do not like the big-rig design of the F150. We shall see how well Ford delivers.

Igor

Have you heard anything about a crew cab and a (proper) 6 foot bed?

Thought that may've been it.

Have you heard anything about a crew cab and a (proper) 6 foot bed?

I am 100% positive that Ford would not waste money developing a new truck and NOT include the most popular setup (double cab and 6 ft bed).

As far as I know, the only reason why the double-cab is not offered on the current Ranger is that is failed side-crash testing, and the OLD Ford decided it was good enough for Latin America, and a Ranger without a double cab was good enough for North America. I have not been able to confirm this however.

regardless- the main reason for Ranger's fall from fame is the lack of double cab - I am confident Ford will have it on the new truck - but to be honest, I have not had it explicitly confirmed yet - it is quite early in the development stage, very few people have seen the truck so far.

igor

Igor

Ford's Ranger replacement has been in the works since the late 1990's, but the problem is Ford kept diverting funds away, and delaying the project. That project's descendant is the F-100, and was a reaction to the popular Dodge Dakota and the upsized Frontier and Tacoma. The F-100 is in most ways a junior F-150, rather than a direct Ranger replacement. It will probably be a hair smaller than this:

1999_ford_f150_3860-e_ysu2.jpg

Unlike the F-150, the main engine will be a V6, most likely the truck 3.7L. It heavily shares in F-150 components for cost-savings and toughness. It will come to market with the F-100 name as a smaller lighter F-150 for those who don't need the mammoth dimensions and capabilities of the F-150. It's crew cab version will serve as a replacement for the Explorer Sport-Trac, which won't survive the death of the BOF offroad Explorer.

For those interested, the F-100 will spawn a Bronco. Solid front axle, real 4x4 system, and folding windshield for the real offroad set. Personally, I disagree with this route for the Bronco, but then again, I don't really have a say in it.

The ACTUAL Ranger will be the global T6 truck, which will likely be only a hair bigger than the current Ranger. Expect all the usual bed lengths and cab styles, with the main focus being on I4 engines.

I am 100% positive that Ford would not waste money developing a new truck and NOT include the most popular setup (double cab and 6 ft bed).

As far as I know, the only reason why the double-cab is not offered on the current Ranger is that is failed side-crash testing, and the OLD Ford decided it was good enough for Latin America, and a Ranger without a double cab was good enough for North America. I have not been able to confirm this however.

regardless- the main reason for Ranger's fall from fame is the lack of double cab - I am confident Ford will have it on the new truck - but to be honest, I have not had it explicitly confirmed yet - it is quite early in the development stage, very few people have seen the truck so far.

igor

Well, another reason (not a very good one though) is that the US and Canada have the SportTrac for a "double cab". Sort of useless with that tiny bed though.

Well, another reason (not a very good one though) is that the US and Canada have the SportTrac for a "double cab". Sort of useless with that tiny bed though.

True -- original Sport Track was a Ranger, but the new one is overpriced and too much like an SUV.

igor

Ford's Ranger replacement has been in the works since the late 1990's, but the problem is Ford kept diverting funds away, and delaying the project. That project's descendant is the F-100, and was a reaction to the popular Dodge Dakota and the upsized Frontier and Tacoma. The F-100 is in most ways a junior F-150, rather than a direct Ranger replacement. It will probably be a hair smaller than this:

1999_ford_f150_3860-e_ysu2.jpg

Unlike the F-150, the main engine will be a V6, most likely the truck 3.7L. It heavily shares in F-150 components for cost-savings and toughness. It will come to market with the F-100 name as a smaller lighter F-150 for those who don't need the mammoth dimensions and capabilities of the F-150. It's crew cab version will serve as a replacement for the Explorer Sport-Trac, which won't survive the death of the BOF offroad Explorer.

For those interested, the F-100 will spawn a Bronco. Solid front axle, real 4x4 system, and folding windshield for the real offroad set. Personally, I disagree with this route for the Bronco, but then again, I don't really have a say in it.

The ACTUAL Ranger will be the global T6 truck, which will likely be only a hair bigger than the current Ranger. Expect all the usual bed lengths and cab styles, with the main focus being on I4 engines.

Wescoent, I dont know how accurate your info is, but being an Early Bronco owner, this deff makes me happy and many others if its true. A real off roader will be great. It would bring alot of jeep/ H3s owners back to the ford brand. Even if this bronco sold 50,000 a year it would be successful. I also would love to have an f-100. Perfect size that can tow confidently 6,000 lbs(ranger could do it, but not safely) Also being able to get above 20 mpg on the highway consistantly would be great for me. I cant wait to see if or when these trucks will be out. I know Id love to have a 11' bronco sitting next to my 73' in my garage :D

Wescoent, I dont know how accurate your info is, but being an Early Bronco owner, this deff makes me happy and many others if its true. A real off roader will be great. It would bring alot of jeep/ H3s owners back to the ford brand. Even if this bronco sold 50,000 a year it would be successful. I also would love to have an f-100. Perfect size that can tow confidently 6,000 lbs(ranger could do it, but not safely) Also being able to get above 20 mpg on the highway consistantly would be great for me. I cant wait to see if or when these trucks will be out. I know Id love to have a 11' bronco sitting next to my 73' in my garage :D

Well, the vehicle is along the way in development, or at least it was 3 months ago when I heard about it. While I can understand the need for a solid front axle, a folding windshield? I wonder what the safety people have to say about that.