Ford Motor Company: April 2008 Sales Figures

igor

Ford Motor Company: April 2008 Sales

RETAIL SALES FOR FORD’S NEW FOCUS UP 88 PERCENT, PACING STRONG CAR AND CROSSOVER RESULTS

* Ford's new Focus posted an 88 percent increase in retail sales compared with a year ago; highest April sales for Focus since 2000.

* Retail sales for mid-size sedans also were higher; Ford Fusion up 31 percent, Mercury Milan up 19 percent, and Lincoln MKZ up 20 percent; Fusion and Milan set April sales records.

* Total car retail sales up 21 percent.

* Crossover retail sales up 11 percent led by Ford Edge (up 24 percent) and Ford Escape (up 13 percent).

* Rising gas prices accelerate the industry-wide shift from trucks and SUVs to cars and crossovers.

* Ford, Lincoln and Mercury sales totaled 189,247, down 12 percent; retail sales were down 7 percent and daily rental sales were down 32 percent.

* Total Ford Motor Company sales (including Jaguar, Land Rover, and Volvo) totaled 200,727, down 12 percent.

DEARBORN, Mich., May 1, 2008 - Ford's new Focus continues to defy gravity -- and the U.S. economy -- with a 88 percent jump in retail sales versus last April and the highest total Focus April sales since 2000.

"Focus is the right car at the right time," said Jim Farley, Ford group vice president, Marketing and Communications. "This is the little car that delivers in a big way for customers, with outstanding fuel economy, cool features including SYNC, a fun drive and the right price, right along with the rest of our newest cars and crossovers."

Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars achieved a 21 percent increase in retail sales. While Focus was the standout, the company's mid-size cars also posted higher retail sales. Ford Fusion retail sales were up 31 percent, Mercury Milan retail sales were up 19 percent and Lincoln MKZ retail sales were up 20 percent. The Fusion and Milan set April sales records with total sales of 15,059 for the Fusion and 3,809 for the Milan.

Retail sales for the company's crossovers were 11 percent higher than a year ago, paced by the Ford Edge (up 24 percent) and Ford Escape (up 13 percent). Retail sales for the Mercury Mariner were up 6 percent and Lincoln MKX retail sales were up 4 percent.

Higher gas prices are accelerating the industry-wide shift from trucks and traditional sport utility vehicles to cars and crossovers. At Ford, April sales for sport utility vehicles were 36 percent lower than a year ago and trucks were 19 percent lower.

Lower sales to daily rental companies (down 32 percent) also contributed to the company's sales decline. Overall, Ford, Lincoln and Mercury sales totaled 189,247, down 12 percent compared with a year ago. Retail sales to individual customers were down 7 percent.

Total Ford Motor Company sales, including Jaguar, Land Rover, and Volvo, totaled 200,727, down 12 percent.

Click here to download the April sales figures in Adobe PDF.

Click here for 1998-current Ford sales figures.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Car sales should be better in Europe this month as Easter was in March this year and not April, so two extra days of Ford sales & production will be added this to months figures, the two days for Easter were lost in March this year.

Next month might be better with all those cheques Bushie has sent out, are there any elections this year?

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=28166

Ford's new Focus posted an 88 percent increase in retail sales compared with a year ago; highest April sales for Focus since 2000.

Retail sales for mid-size sedans also were higher; Ford Fusion up 31 percent, Mercury Milan up 19 percent, and Lincoln MKZ up 20 percent; Fusion and Milan set April sales records.

Total car retail sales up 21 percent.

Crossover retail sales up 11 percent led by Ford Edge (up 24 percent) and Ford Escape (up 13 percent).

In a nutshell, sales of little crapwagon cars are up, and everything else is down. With gasoline approaching $4 a gallon, people are settling for lesser vehicles.

X2! And guess what they make money on...yep...the gas guzzlers.

Edited by P71_CrownVic

You'd think they would try to push (advertise) the Taurus X a little more now that sea-change is officially upon us. I've actually been seeing a LOT of those things lately. Memo to Mr. Farley: There's no excuse for such a capable vehicle in the now-hot "CUV" market to be selling so poorly.

Everything else is pretty much not surprising. Imagine how much more inside-out things will be once gas gets to $5 and up. To think a year ago, seemed like there was more time...

At least the new product is on the way. I hope they don't try to rush it and shoot their feet off quality-wise, but it can't get here soon enough.

You'd think they would try to push (advertise) the Taurus X a little more now that sea-change is officially upon us. I've actually been seeing a LOT of those things lately. Memo to Mr. Farley: There's no excuse for such a capable vehicle in the now-hot "CUV" market to be selling so poorly.

Everything else is pretty much not surprising. Imagine how much more inside-out things will be once gas gets to $5 and up. To think a year ago, seemed like there was more time...

At least the new product is on the way. I hope they don't try to rush it and shoot their feet off quality-wise, but it can't get here soon enough.

Taurus X is pushed aside as Flex launches .... Flex goes online on Monday.

Igor

Could you imagine how well the new Fiesta would sell in this market if it was available now? Ford Dealers would probably have to hold daily lotteries so that lucky customers could have chance at buying one at full sticker price. Fiesta, Focus, and Fusion would make great 1,2,3 punch.

Definitely have to say that Ford is weathering this about as well as can be expected. Retail volume up substantially on the Fusion & Milan too shows Ford did the right thing two years ago, making all the fun stuff available on the 5-speed/4 cyl. model. Assuming, of course, that volume is up on those models.

Edited by RichardJensen

The Taurus X is one of Ford's best cars IMO, and one of the best family cars from any manufacturer. My mom has a 2005 Freestyle, and it has just been awesome. Good gas mileage (~23 mpg mixed), good ride quality, very versatile interior with plenty of room in the 2nd row for taller adults (I'm 6'3"), and zero quality issues (40,000 miles).

I just wish Ford wouldn't have moved away from the CVT, once you spend some time behind the wheel of a CVT and get used to it, regular automatics seem archaic by comparison.

Wow, if the F-series loses too much more volume, it'll lose its sales crown to the Camry (40,487 in March, haven't released April sales yet)

Fiesta might soon become the worlds best selling vehicle they are at No2 in Europe with a very outdated model, with the outdated Ranger also seeing sales rising month on month l can't seem to put my finger on what the common attributing factor for a rising sales?

Ford need to get good on Gas, they could do better with some models.

I just wish Ford wouldn't have moved away from the CVT, once you spend some time behind the wheel of a CVT and get used to it, regular automatics seem archaic by comparison.

Yeah, I don't have any major complaints about the CVT in ours, but it DOES take some getting used to. It's not as seamless a transition as the automakers would have you believe. I don't really find it lacking in power like most people, but you do have to learn its "likes" and behavior.

I definitely do NOT like how it revs on steep grades though, and that is my only gripe. Attacking the 5 - 8% grades on I-68, it would churn 5000rpm to maintain 75mph... Best to back off a bit. Fortunately, while there are lots of hills where I live, they aren't of the "mountainous" variety. Even so it's way more rev-happy than a standard trans, or even the lugger 4.6 in the ol' T-birds.

Edited by goingincirclez

Taurus X is pushed aside as Flex launches .... Flex goes online on Monday.

Igor

Agreed, and I understand that on one level. No arguments there.

However, while I personally love the Flex, I don't really see it as the Second Coming. CAP is not OAP so it's not like the Flex is going to account for that excess capacity. Ford would do well to market and position the Taurus X as an alternative, "traditional" CUV for people who won't buy into the Flex's "Uber xB" look. The Freestyle was slightly ahead of its time, and now that the market is HOT there is NO reason not to try and take better advantage. I mean by your rationale, they shouldn't be remaking the Explorer either. So why not push what they already have in the meantime?

Good news, cars are where people are going to continue to migrate to. That said it is nice to see the Edge and Escape posting increases.

Even though Volvo sales aren't all that stellar, the bulk of their product lineup is sorta old (with a few nip tucks here and there). On the other hand you have Jaguar already posting big decreases in the XK and Land Rover posting big decreases in the LR2. Both of which are fairly new vehicles.

Edited by Michael Reynolds